• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the worst speaker you've ever heard?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Oh yes, and they now have people who remake modern copies of the Auratone.

Are you serious? What's wrong with people!

I thought the Auratone was still being made.

"When they ceased manufacturing, a hole was left in the market that some have tried, but none have been able to fill." That made me laugh. Landfill is the only hole they should filling.

We should send one to @amirm but it'd be mean to the poor Klippel making it test that. I can imagine the Klippel robot arm just stopping after a few movements and flashing up an error saying 'not wasting my time on this' and shutting down.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The ones at my sister's house I just spent the weekend at were pretty bad....one set in a tv (new flat panel), and portable radios and bluetooth speakers. She and her roommate (a former "audiophile" store salesman) now have nothing decent. Drove me crazy ! They used to have some half-way decent speakers last time I was there (but still not very good). They just don't care. However, beggars can't be choosers....I was fortunate to be able to go to their place during a forced evacuation at my home due forest fire.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
However, beggars can't be choosers....I was fortunate to be able to go to their place during a forced evacuation at my home due forest fire.

Take some speakers next time as a thank you gift, and insurance for the next forest fire escape.

PS Hope you didn't lose anything major in the fire.

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Oh yes, and they now have people who remake modern copies of the Auratone. I think the original idea was this simulated a lousy car speaker sound so you wanted your hits to sound good in the car. Only problem is most cars had better sounding speakers.
My understanding is it was like a cheap clock radio or TV speaker more than a car.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the opportunity when I did a too drunk to drive sleep over at a buddy's place. He left Pink Floyd playing so that I could listen to his Dayton-Wrights. They where pretty bright and sharp sounding but it was very accurate and the acoustic guitar was phenomenal. Vocals came right through clear as can be. It was very low volume because they where sleeping but I got a 1 hour listening session by myself and I loved it.
As I understand it, they were very unreliable. The leaking, arcing I heard were very common. Around the same time, I was able to audition Beverage, Quad, and Koss electrostats in the same showroom. Even if the DW's would have been in good working order, I think they would have placed a distant fourth.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Take some speakers next time as a thank you gift, and insurance for the next forest fire escape.

PS Hope you didn't lose anything major in the fire.
LOL last time I packed my truck in preparation for evac (2021) I did have a spare pair of speakers with me....but those were passive and they don't have a working receiver (part of the reason they gave up on the okay speakers). I am thinking of gifting them my JBL actives but somehow don't think they'd care enough to use 'em (we discussed audio some :) ).

Thanks, I may have lost a freezer item or two as power was cut for a coupla days, but no damage otherwise, fire didn't take down any structures in town before the wind changed....and hopefully even the next wind change can't quite bring it back either....we're still in evac level 2 (ready to go with minimal notice, level 3 is gtfo now).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, take care out there! That drive on Hwy 2 sure is going to look different when this is all over… :oops:
Hwy 2? Our town is only served by highway 58 (Oregon), and they closed most of that over the weekend between Lowell and Crescent Lake....just this afternoon got reopened to the east of town, they reopened Lowell to Oakridge yesterday. Can be a real problem if we get fires on both sides, tho :).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you serious? What's wrong with people!

I thought the Auratone was still being made.

"When they ceased manufacturing, a hole was left in the market that some have tried, but none have been able to fill." That made me laugh. Landfill is the only hole they should filling.

We should send one to @amirm but it'd be mean to the poor Klippel making it test that. I can imagine the Klippel robot arm just stopping after a few movements and flashing up an error saying 'not wasting my time on this' and shutting down.
Avantone makes a copy called Mixcubes. They now make both a passive and active version.

TheAVInsider

Heard 100's of models. Nothing I've ever heard beat the sound you get from your favorite local dealer who works out of white van. The best thing about them is when they let the smoke out.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What we've learned from ASR is that most speakers are white-van speakers.
Eh? Did we even ever get a test of white van speakers now that you mention it....outside of that, though, your comprehension.....meh.

punosion

Forum Donor
Hwy 2? Our town is only served by highway 58 (Oregon), and they closed most of that over the weekend between Lowell and Crescent Lake....just this afternoon got reopened to the east of town, they reopened Lowell to Oakridge yesterday. Can be a real problem if we get fires on both sides, tho :).
Ah, I assumed Seattle area… :facepalm::D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Eh? Did we even ever get a test of white van speakers now that you mention it....outside of that, though, your comprehension.....meh.

They'll probably get a great score on the Klippel. LOL.

Actually, Amir should do an April 1st review of white van speakers giving them the highest score ever.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They'll probably get a great score on the Klippel. LOL.

Actually, Amir should do an April 1st review of white van speakers giving them the highest score ever.
LOL take it you're not a fan of the speaker reviews done that way? Probably how I feel about how you "hear" amps....

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
LOL take it you're not a fan of the speaker reviews done that way? Probably how I feel about how you "hear" amps....
I love the Klippel reviews. Incredible amount of detail and information. But armed with all that information you still have to listen to a pair, in a room, with music…

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I love the Klippel reviews. Incredible amount of detail and information. But armed with all that information you still have to listen to a pair, in a room, with music…
Yep, just narrows the field afaic. As to "listening to amps" with all kinds of loads possible...meh, not so much.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yep, just narrows the field afaic. As to "listening to amps" with all kinds of loads possible...meh, not so much.
A few vintage amps I’m listening to atm

726963C6-BC3E-4A53-B084-5495190D17FC.jpeg

Top Bottom