• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the upgrade path for a D30?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would get better headphones [..] , I would get a Massdrop THX AAA 789 and an SMSL D1 (that's $1300 if you buy both on Massdrop), or the 789 and an RME ADI-2 DAC ($1500 I think) these are the best stacks as of right now without spends thousands more.
If you buy the RME ADI-2 DAC there is no need to buy an extra headphone preamp, the RME has one of the best on board (reduces the price to $1k).

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Atom is about as good as it gets regarding audibility. You could spend thousands and not get any real improvement in performance. I realise it's hard to believe a small box for around $100 performs in the audible range as well as anything else on the market.
The same can be said regarding the D30.
In brief there is no upgrade path from your current equipment.
You could get improved conections, better looking boxes, maybe even slightly better specifications, but if it sounds any better it's because of what goes on in your brain and not what goes on in the electronics.

Can the same be said connected to a power amp? or is this quote only regarding a connection to headphone amplifiers?

yigitboy

Me in the same situation. Same dac same amp. I bought a monolith 1060m planar headphones. It is the Best hp i have ever used. Now i can hear the difference between a good flac and tidal stream. Can i benefit from a better spec dac like rme2

Top Bottom