• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the next step up from my LG Quad DAC? (for HD6xx)

EvilMunchkin

Hello! Recently I have begun to get into the audiophile world, mainly spurred on by my phone, an LG G8x. Currently, I own a pair of Moondrop Aria iems, and a HD6xx. It's pretty beginner tier stuff, but I'm in college and will not be upgrading for a while. The Aria's sound fantastic off of the G8x's hardware, but I'm wondering if the 6xx was the right purchase. I did read beforehand that LG's hardware can drive it, and it does get loud enough for me on mid-high volume, but I can notice some distortion and can't help but feel that somethings missing. I've also read that the 6xx needs all the power you can give it, so I'm thinking about upgrading to a DAC/Amp combo that will drive it better.
My main question is, will I be able to find something within the $100-$250 range that will be a significant upgrade to my LG phone? I really like the portability of the phone, and I don't really work at my desk much, so I've been eyeing the Qudelix 5K for a while. The iFi Hip DAC also looks good for the same reason. I'm just not sure either of them would be much better than what I already have.
I'm also willing to try a desktop setup. For those I've seen really good things about the Fiio K5 Pro, and the iFi Zen. I don't think I really want a stack setup right now, but I'm totally open to ideas. I also see tube amps recommended a lot, but I don't think I'm ready to go down that rabbithole. Mainly want something portable, or at least compact. Thank you!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 300-Ohm Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6XX headphones are power demanding (compared to IEMs), so will drain the phone's battery a lot faster then you might like.
If you wish to use a portable audio source (smartphone), it might be better to buy headphones with a low Ohm rating.
For the HD6XX, an A/C powered DAC/amp would be best.
The Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD6XX headphones seem to mesh well with a tube headphone amplifier.
(IEMs do not do well with tube amps).

JRS

Major Contributor
My main question is, will I be able to find something within the $100-$250 range that will be a significant upgrade to my LG phone? I really like the portability of the phone, and I don't really work at my desk much, so I've been eyeing the Qudelix 5K for a while. The iFi Hip DAC also looks good for the same reason. I'm just not sure either of them would be much better than what I already have.
I'm also willing to try a desktop setup. For those I've seen really good things about the Fiio K5 Pro, and the iFi Zen. I don't think I really want a stack setup right now, but I'm totally open to ideas. I also see tube amps recommended a lot, but I don't think I'm ready to go down that rabbithole. Mainly want something portable, or at least compact. Thank you!
Forget the tubes. Temperamental and expensive IMO. The unit I bought which has proven to be immensely satisfying and not too expensive is the revised Topping DX3 Pro plus reviewed here. Spec wise it is a very good DAC and provides 250mW into 300ohms. Also has BT on those occasions when plugging in your phone via USB isn't convenient. I looked far and wide just recently, and for 200 dollars, not much comes close with anywhere near the power.

OP
E

EvilMunchkin

The 300-Ohm Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6XX headphones are power demanding (compared to IEMs), so will drain the phone's battery a lot faster then you might like.
If you wish to use a portable audio source (smartphone), it might be better to buy headphones with a low Ohm rating.
For the HD6XX, an A/C powered DAC/amp would be best.
The Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD6XX headphones seem to mesh well with a tube headphone amplifier.
(IEMs do not do well with tube amps).
Yep, that's what I'm realizing now haha. I probably should have gotten the 58X or something, but I'll try to make the best out of it. I'm guessing I should then not bother with portable setups for the 6XX. I am also more than happy with how my IEMs perform on my phone so I doubt I need better equipment there. Would you have any recommendations for an A/C powered DAC/amp?

OP
E

EvilMunchkin

Forget the tubes. Temperamental and expensive IMO. The unit I bought which has proven to be immensely satisfying and not too expensive is the revised Topping DX3 Pro plus reviewed here. Spec wise it is a very good DAC and provides 250mW into 300ohms. Also has BT on those occasions when plugging in your phone via USB isn't convenient. I looked far and wide just recently, and for 200 dollars, not much comes close with anywhere near the power.
Topping DX3 Pro looks really good actually, I think I've seen it suggested before. It seems to be sold out everywhere, but I'll try to keep an eye out in the future. Thanks!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Several Topping DX3s for sale on eBay.
Also check out the Schiit Maginus (use your phone as the DAC?).

Top Bottom