• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the next step in improving my audio setup?

Daniel_A24

I've got a pair of Monoprice Monolith Encore B6s. They are EQed to a flat on axis response using Erin's EQ profile. They are on generic speaker stands and hooked up to an A07.
Image preview

I am thinking about getting front ported speakers so I can place them a bit closer to the wall without having to worry about room modes and choking the port. Also, is this much of a concern or can I spend my money elsewhere? My 2 options are Presonus XT E8 for better directivity and the DBR62 for the front port and a potentially better cabinet design. I do like an enveloping sound.
index.php

Which brings me to the Monoprice M518HT5.1 Home Theater System. I do enjoy watching movies and listening to music. Would these 5 coaxial speakers give me a more enveloping sound signature with better directivity, as I like to slouch down on my chair sometimes(dipping below the Encores sweet spot) .
41287_01.jpg
Monolith%20B6%20Vertical%20Contour%20Plot%20%28Normalized%29.png

I'm not afraid of EQ, would there be a measuring mic beside the UMIK-1 as it costs a fortune in Canada for some reason. If not, I'm willing to bite the bullet. Or would the difference between a potential upgrade for a DBR62/Presonus XT E8 be mitigated by simply using a measuring mic to EQ a perfectly desired in room response?

What else would I be able to do for fixing my room modes besides moving my speakers deeper into the room. Currently a mode at 90Hz.

TLDR; Better Stereo Setup, 5.1 Setup or Measuring Mic?

Thanks.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
1. Alternative to UMIK-1 would be a Behringer ECM8000. In Australia the ECM8000 costs A$72 and the UMIK-1 A$290. However, the Behringer requires a sound card with phantom power. The cheapest such card I am aware of is the Focusrite 2i2 which costs $220 in Australia. So the two options are comparable in price unless you already happen to have a suitable sound card. Don't forget to factor in the cost of cables and a microphone tripod.

2. What can you do to fix room modes? The only real way to eliminate room modes is with sound absorption with EQ on top to provide final tuning. However, EQ on its own does help. Your ported speakers are sensitive to room placement - walls and corners work like a giant horn which can be either a plus or a minus depending on the result. So you could experiment with room placement. You could also try modifying the tuning of the port by stuffing it with straws.

3. Better stereo setup or measuring mic - these are different questions. Remember that more money does not necessarily get you better sound when it comes to speakers, and even after you buy the speakers you are still left with the same problem of how to set them up correctly. I would argue that you would get more mileage from a measurement mic, but even that depends on how much you are willing to nerd out.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Pics of room please!

OP
Daniel_A24

Daniel_A24

1. Alternative to UMIK-1 would be a Behringer ECM8000. In Australia the ECM8000 costs A$72 and the UMIK-1 A$290. However, the Behringer requires a sound card with phantom power. The cheapest such card I am aware of is the Focusrite 2i2 which costs $220 in Australia. So the two options are comparable in price unless you already happen to have a suitable sound card. Don't forget to factor in the cost of cables and a microphone tripod.

2. What can you do to fix room modes? The only real way to eliminate room modes is with sound absorption with EQ on top to provide final tuning. However, EQ on its own does help. Your ported speakers are sensitive to room placement - walls and corners work like a giant horn which can be either a plus or a minus depending on the result. So you could experiment with room placement. You could also try modifying the tuning of the port by stuffing it with straws.

3. Better stereo setup or measuring mic - these are different questions. Remember that more money does not necessarily get you better sound when it comes to speakers, and even after you buy the speakers you are still left with the same problem of how to set them up correctly. I would argue that you would get more mileage from a measurement mic, but even that depends on how much you are willing to nerd out.

2. Yes, I am thinking about putting thicker absorbers behind my speakers to get rid of those modes. Similar to Sean Olive's setup. I'll look into the straws, never heard of doing that other than just straight up stuffing the port.

3. I agree, because besides directivity and modes, FQ Response is what can be mostly solved with a measuring mic. Sometimes I do tune by ear and try to get closest to a natural sounding voice. Just by listening to people talk it seems HFs are generally greatly exaggerated in speakers. StaticV3 sent a decent price on the UMIK-1. I will probably start there.

Thanks guys.

Top Bottom