• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the LP frequency of your subwoofer(s)?

What is the LP frequency of your subwoofer(s)?

• 40Hz

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 60Hz

Votes: 32 20.3%
  • 80Hz

Votes: 71 44.9%
  • 100Hz

Votes: 24 15.2%
  • 120Hz

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • 150Hz

Votes: 8 5.1%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please use your vote instead of telling me the answers. Thank you.

If your frequency is not an option please use the nearest number. If you use different settings please use the setting you use for music listening. If you have multiple systems please select the setting of the system where you listen mostly and critically music.

LP: Low pass. That is the value of the frequency setting on an active crossover.

Thank you for your help.

PS. PS. Maybe you will consider voting on my other poll on amplifier setup used with subwoofers?

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Internal LPF of my Rythmik sub is 120Hz. I modify this depending on which setup is being used.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Internal LPF of my Rythmik sub is 120Hz. I modify this depending on which setup is being used.
I tried to explain further to hopefully will address your case.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
It varies, but for the sake of simplicity, let's just say I listen to music mostly sitting on the couch rather than the desk. Default 120Hz 12dB/oct it is then...

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have 2 systems. On my desk system with dual 8" subs and Revel M105 bookshelf speakers I run an 80 Hz crossover. On my living room system I have much bigger Focal Aria 936's with a JL e112 sub and I run a 60 Hz crossover.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 2 systems. On my desk system with dual 8" subs and Revel M105 bookshelf speakers I run an 80 Hz crossover. On my living room system I have much bigger Focal Aria 936's with a JL e112 sub and I run a 60 Hz crossover.
As I asked in my explanation, please chose the one where you listen music most of the time and critically.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
As I asked in my explanation, please chose the one where you listen music most of the time and critically.
Yeah, I use both frequently, and both for critical listening. I don't know what to tell you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The point is that its setup dependent. The deeper the mains dig, the lower I like the crossover.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I use both frequently, and both for critical listening. I don't know what to tell you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
60Hz and 80Hz is not too far apart. Just take your pick :)

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
65 or 70hz.

Voted for 60hz.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
100Hz when it’s 48dB/oct otherwise 80Hz.
Please chose the frequency that you use most often when listening music, critically.

Ultrasonic

I use 110 Hz 48 dB/octave but voted for 100 Hz.

kiwifi

Two sealed subs at 80Hz plus two ported subs at 40Hz.

D

Deleted member 43441

Please use your vote instead of telling me the answers. Thank you.

If your frequency is not an option please use the nearest number. If you use different settings please use the setting you use for music listening. If you have multiple systems please select the setting of the system where you listen mostly and critically music.

LP: Low pass. That is the value of the frequency setting on an active crossover.

Thank you for your help.

PS. PS. Maybe you will consider voting on my other poll on amplifier setup used with subwoofers?
What am I missing? Are you saying… at what frequency do we have our subwoofers crossed for home theater? For two channel music? Please be more specific thanks.

D

Deleted member 43441

I had a read to read a couple of your comments to get the gist of this. Anyway 80 Hertz is where I cross mine over for home theater, and for
2-channel listening as managed by my AVP.

I voted 80 Hz.

However, with different pre-amps that do not have bass management, I set my 3 subwoofers crossover at approximately 65 Hz.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What am I missing? Are you saying… at what frequency do we have our subwoofers crossed for home theater? For two channel music? Please be more specific thanks.
I hoped the following would be sufficient to explain that I am asking settings for listening music.

If you use different settings please use the setting you use for music listening. If you have multiple systems please select the setting of the system where you listen mostly and critically music.

Allow me to re-iterate; vote for the subwoofer xover frequency you use for critical music listening. Thank you.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently, and to my surprise, 70Hz, and I think Dirac Live Bass Control uses 4th order filters. (Hence the 80Hz vote).

Normally I start with ~120Hz and experiment from there. But 70Hz is where the data led me in this room, and being dogmatic about this sort of thing is stupid. The blend when LCR was just much more seamless at 70Hz. The cost is inconsistent bass outside of the seating area. Notably, a nasty droning spot in the approach to the main seat. Of note one of the three subs is right next to the main seat. I’m likely going to add a high sub and maybe a sub on the right side wall (room is prewired for both) to see if the whole room can be as even as the seated area currently is. Our previous home was more even over a wider area (or the crap spots were where nobody ever walked or sat).

Top Bottom