• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the least you can spend?

Larry B. Larabee

My 'sound room'.
Consists of a paradigm subwoofer found at a local electronics recycler for $10. I soldered a lead on one of the caps because someone at the factory couldn't be bothered. 2 google mini speakers tucked in under the stairs. $29 for both on a black friday. I use a cheap ($39) phone to stream apple music and use my ipad as a control source. Total system cost was $78.
Things may look cluttered, in fact, the bag of golf clubs acts as a pretty good bass trap. Time alignment between the minis and sub is just a matter of pushing the sub with my foot from the listening position until things are 'just right'. The best thing about the system is the slight broadcast delay between the sub (3.5 hp jack to sub rca in) and wifi streaming to minis which makes the room (cubby hole) sound much bigger than the 3'x7' dimensions. If I want a change of pace I can also open the door behind my chair although the change in the sound signature requires a slightly different angle for the cement boards propped up against the right wall. Either way it sounds amazing and I doubt that anyone could do better for three times the price.

Happy Listening

cubby.jpeg

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
15 years ago I picked up a complete stereo system from a thrift store for less than $50. JVC receiver, Pioneer speakers and Dual turntable. Now they would charge several hundred for that junk.

Top Bottom