• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what is the correct way to calculate the crossover frequency and slope between two drivers?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering how someone should go about calculating and setting the correct crossover frequency and slope between two drivers? What is the theory and research to subscribe to? what driver information do I need? and what is the calculation you should use to decide?

Applications I am thinking about are:
1) subwoofer+2-way bookshelf crossover settings.
2)woofer vs. tweeter in my car audio setup.

Thoughts and links people recommend?

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In lieu of measurements on the crossover speaker/sub thing? What slopes? :) No idea on the car, mine only has speaker/sub crossover :) Even then I experimented rather than calculated, but never hauled my mic/REW out there....

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:). For example I have the Elac DBR62 and SVS-sb2000 in one room. Since Amir has published both the frequency response and impedance curve for this speaker I wondered how to best select the crossover frequency and crossover slope type (-6db/oct, -12db/oct, etc) between the two based on the actual measurements and data available.

Same in my car. I have a small subwoofer and the head unit allows me to set independently, the crossover and slope for the sub output, and the crossover and slope for the main (FR, FL, RR, LR) channels. So I could have some crazy crossover gap or differing slopes for the different drivers if I wanted. Just don't know what to consider when setting these things and thought it could be an interesting or useful discussion or bit if info. to dive down the rabbit hole. Anything to avoid seeing another MQA thread pop up. :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I generally start at 80 and go up/down from there to see if any particular preference before I get as far as whipping out the measurement gear to see which response is superior.....

LOL just yesterday went to settings on my head unit in my truck and it started off with the hpf settings which meant I shouldn'ta been messing with it while in motion :) Reminds me, gotta go thru those. I do it by ear, tho and generally cross well above the speakers' f3.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I generally start at 80 and go up/down from there to see if any particular preference before I get as far as whipping out the measurement gear to see which response is superior.....

LOL just yesterday went to settings on my head unit in my truck and it started off with the hpf settings which meant I shouldn'ta been messing with it while in motion :) Reminds me, gotta go thru those. I do it by ear, tho and generally cross well above the speakers' f3.
Speaking of trucks. With the new Ford F150 lightning announced, I wonder what car audio innovations present themselves when you have access to a full 110v onboard electrical system and a massive battery pack!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of trucks. With the new Ford F150 lightning announced, I wonder what car audio innovations present themselves when you have access to a full 110v onboard electrical system and a massive battery pack!

LOL would be fun but don't imagine me outliving my truck....and I'm cheap.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL would be fun but don't imagine me outliving my truck....and I'm cheap.
ha! While I am glad to see this innovation in the best selling vehicle in the USA, I think it's most environmentally friendly to use what you have for as long as you can instead of throwing away and incurring the energy and environmental cost of building something new.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ha! While I am glad to see this innovation in the best selling vehicle in the USA, I think it's most environmentally friendly to use what you have for as long as you can instead of throwing away and incurring the energy and environmental cost of building something new.
Exactly, I much rather use stuff as long as possible rather than have something new/shiny.....

Top Bottom