• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the best value for money/cheapest DAC which measures well? £ for £ / $ for $ and lowest cost.

Westsounds

The Topping D90SE is the king of the list as far as I can see but value for money, does anyone know off the top of their head just from studying the test results which DAC in the results list gives the ultimate performance per cost?

And is there a DAC under £40 for instance that can get near the higher end well designed and measuring well DACs but do it at a much lower cost?

Willem

Major Contributor
What kind of input(s) and do you want a volume control with it?

bogi

The question is what is for you enough good. It may mean something different for you and for me.
For me Topping E50 is price/value king. I don't listen to graphs and I don't belong to "all DACs sounds the same" local initiative.

OP
W

Westsounds

The question is what is for you enough good. It may mean something different for you and for me.
For me Topping E50 is price/value king. I don't listen to graphs and I don't belong to "all DACs sounds the same" local initiative.
Yes but if they are doing their job right they should all be doing the same thing. Once all the 0s and 1s are converted as they should be all dacs shouldnt be a million miles away from each other. The rest is perhaps the components colouring, changing or adding to the sound. And tonality is a personal preference.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple dongle $10.00

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
W

Westsounds

Thats interesting actually. I don't have a apple phone though

Ninjastar

Nothing just a basic dac, optical toslink and coax that's it.
Schiit Modi 3+ maybe?

SMc

Check out the review index! The cheapest recommended DAC doesn't measure well but costs next to nothing. Not $4 anymore but still under $15 for something that functions:

Check out the dongles if your computer is your source.

bogi

Once all the 0s and 1s are converted as they should be
That's not so easy. Each delta sigma DAC contains delta sigma modulator. That modulation (which also occurs in the case of PCM to DSD conversion) is not a bitperfect reversible operation and can be of different quality. When you convert PCM to DSD and then back ot PCM, you never get the same file again. Not so easy. Similarly, digital interpolation filters of a DAC can be of a different quality. Then the D/A conversion stage itself, which is in principle a low pass filter, do you think there is only one 'ideal' implementation? If yes, show it us. And then there is level of noise rejection mainly from digital inputs and power source, this topic is beyond the capabilities of the "all DACs sound the same" local initiative.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Demonstrating the existence of convincing and routinely-occurring audible differences in normal listening situations, seems to be beyond the capabilities of DACophiles.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
just a basic dac, optical toslink and coax
Should be less that 80 pounds over your way.

JSmith

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t need an Apple device to use it. As long as your device has a USB-C port, it should generally just work.
Or Lightning port

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For me Topping E50 is price/value king.
This probably works if you use USB. I am worried about the S/PDIF reliability of post-AKM Topping DACs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom