• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the best quality/price headphones for 1500€ max ?

thomz6

Hello guys,
first of all i would like to say thank you for this amazing community and sorry for my english level. :)

I have the Topping E30/L30 combo,
And I would like to buy an awesome headphones, currently I have the DT 990 pro 250ohms (its good but I think we can do much better),
I consider the audio material like an investment, this is not like the computer components that will be obsolete in 3 years...
I was telling me, << ok bro you have only one life, enjoy it right now, you don't know the futur, live now ! >>

So my question is : Dear ASR members, What headphones would you buy for a 1500€ budget max ?

I have 2 ideas in mind :
-HD 800S
-Focal Clear

What is your opinion ? :D

By the way I listen electronic + rap + pop musics

PS : I live in france

Colonel Bogey

As a Frenchman, you should go for the Focal ;) But according to a recent review here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-clear-review-headphone.18585/ it has problems with clipping when playing deep bass at high SPL.
I have never had that problem with my Clears even though I elevate deep bass with 5,5dB. But I only listen to classical music, if you listen to electronic music at high volumes, the Clear might not be suitable for you.
I am also curious what other members might recommend...

3125b

Major Contributor
If I were to buy an expensive headphone, the HD 800S would be it. The Focal Clear is also a logical choice (just not for me since I already have an Elear). A higher end planar would be an option too, I wouldn't be so sure wich one though, maybe a HiFiMAN Arya or maybe the cheaper Ananda, maybe a HE-6 if I can get a good price (very power hungry).

OP
thomz6

thomz6

Thank you for your advices

Some people say me that the sound difference is not awesome for the price 100€ to 1500€... They say that I will be disappointed like I expected a revolution and in fact it is not...

There is an other option : I can get a Focal Utopia for 1500€ in used purchase

EDIT : the Focal Utopia is propably a scam

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello guys,
first of all i would like to say thank you for this amazing community and sorry for my english level. :)

I have the Topping E30/L30 combo,
And I would like to buy an awesome headphones, currently I have the DT 990 pro 250ohms (its good but I think we can do much better),
I consider the audio material like an investment, this is not like the computer components that will be obsolete in 3 years...
I was telling me, << ok bro you have only one life, enjoy it right now, you don't know the futur, live now ! >>

So my question is : Dear ASR members, What headphones would you buy for a 1500€ budget max ?

I have 2 ideas in mind :
-HD 800S
-Focal Clear

By the way I listen electronic + rap + pop musics

PS : I live in france
HD800S.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your advices

Some people say me that the sound difference is not awesome for the price 100€ to 1500€... They say that I will be disappointed like I expected a revolution and in fact it is not...
It's called the rule of diminishing returns. For about 150 to 200€ you can get very good headphones, and the difference to a HD800S is not that big as the price difference might suggest.

OP
thomz6

thomz6

hm so i will try to test in shop the HD 800s
if the sound is very different, i will buy it i think
but yeah sad rule of diminishing returns... :(

Maybe i have the buyer fever... Maybe i can be content of my DT 990 and just enjoy the vibes

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have 2 ideas in mind :
-HD 800S
-Focal Clear

Welcome to ASR - or should that be "Bienvenue à ASR"

A quick question - do you equalise your headphones? Some phones are pretty good straight out of the box, but others (such as the HD800s) will require equalising. Obviously we're into a subjective area and there may be people who rae happy with the HD800s straight out of the box.

Another question - what is the source of your music (Tidal/Qobuz/Spotify, locally stored files, CDs, vinyl?)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say read the reviews and comments on here of the 800S and the Clear. Personally, I do get the difference between either of these and a $200 pair but others would say its psychological. BUT I've yet to see anyone who owns either of these sell them and settle for a Hifiman 400/4xx or a Senn 6xx.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Many people say HD800 has a HUGE :eek: sound stage and more out of head feel, I am one of them. If you want big sound stage and believe us then HD800 is the one to go. Eq is probably required because of the high frequency peak.

Noodles

The 990 pro you have is a great headphone that sounds better on amplifiers with higher dampening (higher output impedance) and tube amps. If you do not want to go for amp matching for your gear, these are my suggestions:

For electronic, rap and pop music - the Clear would be better.
However if you can audition ZMF Aeolus, Atticus or Eikon i would definitely give it a go.
My newest acquisition - the Denon D9200 is quite nice too.

chi2

Forum Donor
If you are looking for an open headphone the ones already mentioned (HD800s, Clear, Arya) are on my list of favorites, too. Additionally, I'd suggest considering and listening to the following phones:

HEDDphone (only with a powerful amp, e.g. Drop THX 789)
ZMF Auteur
Hifiman HE1000 V1 (used) or V2 (used)

As the bass of the HEDDphone is precise but not "thumping", for your genres the other candidates may be better suited. The bass of the HD800s, while being very good, is a bit subdued. You may be happy with this phone only with some EQ applied to compensate for the dropping level below 100Hz.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4708

Audeze LCD-2 or Focal Elex (from Massdrop) fit in your range with room to spare. I had Audeze LCD-4 and it was heavy and uncomfortable (clamping). I still have the Elex and I like it best - of all headphones I had.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have 2 ideas in mind :
-HD 800S
-Focal Clear

What is your opinion ?

HD800S would be (and is) my pick with some EQ or filter.
Focal Clear is a good second when bought new and you don't want to play screamingly loud.
Don't buy a Focal second hand... AFAIK there is no warranty on it which you may need.
It's the main reason (warranty and pricing of consumables like pads) why I never bought a Focal.

Other picks:
K812 (with EQ or filter)
maybe the Hifiman Ananda (with EQ)
DCA (Dan Clark Audio, formerly mr.Speakers) may be an idea.
ZMF Auteur perhaps.

All of the headphones above will have less 'warmth' and 'bass' than DT990 but offer better SQ..
When you are not bothered by the DT990 treble peak (some hear it only as 'highly detailed) you may not be bothered by the treble of some of the picks.

On the question: What is the best quality/price headphones for 1500€ max ?
I would answer HD800S. It is the budget king of high end priced HP's.

SemperUnum

At the 1500 euro price range I found out that it gets quite personal which headphone best fits your needs.

I don't think there is a "one size fits all" winner that will be the best for all the peoples different music tastes.

At my local Headphone shop I tried several headphones at that price range and ended up with the HiFiMAN Arya. For me it worked best with my personal music taste (including a lot of electronic music).

Best is to go to a shop where you can try all the usual (and unusual) suspects and find your own personal best match.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
800 S.

Top Bottom