• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the best passive bookshelf to convert to active - under US$800 a pair

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all

As per thread title, that is the best passive bookshelf to convert to active - under US$800 a pair ?

I want to experiment with DSP active crossovers but I want to start with a quality speaker. Not try to convert a crap speaker into a good speaker with heaps and heaps of EQ.

Elac DBR-62 is obviously one great option:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-debut-reference-dbr-62-speaker-review.12232/

Any other great options?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Look at the reviews paying attention to dispersion. That can't be fixed. I agree you don't want to start out with a jagged frequency response, but when you remove the crossover, the FR around the crossover area will change. Used LS50's are pretty cheap these days.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
KEF Q100 and Q300 are two-way, bi-wire speakers. All you have to do is remove the actual crossover and you are good to go. I have no experience in this area, but I own both of these and have thought about playing around with them in this way. However, you have to be careful you don't blow the tweeter, and I have no idea whether there will be hiss once the cross-over is removed.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Klipsch Rp-600m
Klipsch RP-600M Bookshelf Speaker Spinorma CEA-2034 Audio Measurements.png

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
All you have to do is remove the actual crossover and you are good to go.

Yep I'm fine with the physical process. I've done this with really crappy old speakers.

I want to now move to better quality/performing speakers to try this.

So just after suggestions of models that fit the price mentioned and good performance.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Problem with used passive L50 is I need to do a bit of drilling into cabinet to get another pair of banana plug terminals there

Elacs have what looks like standard sized mounting plates

1614699037023.png

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not objectively as good the Elac DBR-62 I linked though right?
Directivity on the Klispch is far better. But "objectively better" could be so much. Power handling, distortion, resonances, energi storage etc.

I would go for the speaker with the best directivity potential to start with if the goal is a "simple to fix" project.

bunkbail

Forum Donor
JBL Stage A130, as it has very low distortion and good overall performance.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I am a believer in thinking the first time I try something, while I should learn a lot, I also may screw something up.

The Infinity R162 are back on sale for $160 pair:
https://www.harmanaudio.com/loudspeakers/REFERENCE+162.html

I have toyed with the idea of converting, with the objective to minimize it's distortion via DSP and a more optimal active crossover arrangement.

Amir also mentioned the woofer had good physical extension and did not bottom out. Sounds like a good starting point..

Why not as a first experiment?

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/infinity-r162-bookshelf-speaker-review.12333/

Grotti

Forum Donor
Directivity on the Klispch is far better. But "objectively better" could be so much. Power handling, distortion, resonances, energi storage etc.

I would go for the speaker with the best directivity potential to start with if the goal is a "simple to fix" project.
Directivity of the Klipsch is good and is has a biwire terminal. But the enclosure is a cheap and resonating nightmare (I owned a pair for a few weeks). So in order to justify the effort of activation you should take care of the resonances at higher volume.

If it was my project I would choose the Klipsch....

jonfitch

Maybe NHT C3. Would be curious to see if you could make a "perfect speaker" through equalization, or if you just messed up the tonality. It would be hard with a 2 way but easier with a 3-way I think.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Would be curious to see if you could make a "perfect speaker" through equalization, or if you just messed up the tonality. It would be hard with a 2 way but easier with a 3-way I think.

Not trying to make the perfect speaker and not saying I can make a DSP crossover better than Andrew Jones passive.

Just experimenting for some fun and learning, which is why I want to keep budget low.

And this is not only about DSP crossover alone - it's incorporating room correction/EQ too.

Thunder22

I have been wanting to do this with a set of Paradigm studio 40's. There are many on the used market for relatively cheap and in their day had an active twin.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Maybe NHT C3. Would be curious to see if you could make a "perfect speaker" through equalization, or if you just messed up the tonality. It would be hard with a 2 way but easier with a 3-way I think.

This is more expensive than the 3-way Elac though. I'll wait to see what the re-measurement of Elacs looks like. It's a developing story lol

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
I am a believer in thinking the first time I try something, while I should learn a lot, I also may screw something up.

The Infinity R162 are back on sale for $160 pair:
https://www.harmanaudio.com/loudspeakers/REFERENCE+162.html

I have toyed with the idea of converting, with the objective to minimize it's distortion via DSP and a more optimal active crossover arrangement.

Amir also mentioned the woofer had good physical extension and did not bottom out. Sounds like a good starting point..

Why not as a first experiment?

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/infinity-r162-bookshelf-speaker-review.12333/

This is nice and cheap and good horizontal+vertical directivity. And should be able to get 4 banana plug plate on the back easily.

This isn't my first time though, I mentioned above I've done this with dirt cheap and crap speakers. With good results.

I want to start with a better speaker this time.

Top Bottom