• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Why is the perimeter of the cone ruffled in 4 peaks ???

TIA
Well, I will quote Purifi on this one.

"Low Surround Radiation Distortion
  • The surround contributes to sound output. Conventional surrounds produce distortion as they deform. PURIFI’s Neutral Surround geometry avoids this mechanism without constraining motion. This reduces harmonic distortion as well as intermodulation distortion."

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I will quote Purifi on this one.

"Low Surround Radiation Distortion
  • The surround contributes to sound output. Conventional surrounds produce distortion as they deform. PURIFI’s Neutral Surround geometry avoids this mechanism without constraining motion. This reduces harmonic distortion as well as intermodulation distortion."
Hmmzzer.. Is that like a equal (+) and (-) force produced so they cancel each other out sorta thing due to the shape and flex?

digicidal

Major Contributor
Hmmzzer.. Is that like a equal (+) and (-) force produced so they cancel each other out sorta thing due to the shape and flex?
Either that or it's like a rear wing on a FWD compact car... doesn't do anything useful... but it looks "cool" so you pay extra for it. :p

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I believe it is to provide equal compliance on outward and inward movement. I can see how normal surrounds may be different in this respect.

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Seas drivers (on the floor :))

seas_drivers.JPG

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Is Jan going to make the design available?

Almost certainly. I was impressed at how he was able to get me almost 20dB more distortion measurement performance with the APx525.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Nice!
Abandoned AMT’s in favour of that expensive Bliesma?
Abandoned no, I really like the Mundorf AMT, however the Bliesma has the capability to crossover at a much lower frequency which is important for a 2 way and matching directivity of the woofer / tweeter at crossover.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I am curious what what is on your workbench right now.

Nothing exciting... a HD650 with a pressed in dome (to see if it measures differently) and a K702. Missing component: time

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Measuring influence of speaker cable to amplitude response.
Blue - at amp output terminals
Brown - behind speaker cable, 6m of 2x4mm2 zip cord, at speaker terminals
Audible or not?

BB_modul_CNO_amp_vs_spk.jpg

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... My tip of the day for working on turntables: 3 toilet rolls. They are just the right height, soft but strong and can be placed over bearings, slid around to support the deck upside down, whatever ...

But the most important advantage of it is that you do not get the hyperstatic structure, which all of us - audiophiles, want to avoid ... ;)

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Seas drivers (on the floor :))

No Pavel, the rules are clear, the topic is "what is on your workbench right now". No off topic posts please, and that includes the floor, lounge-room carpet or kitchen table etc. ;)

Top Bottom