• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is jitter in "jitter noise measurement"-section

Katji

Major Contributor
Are you suggesting that any type of cable is able to pass any frequency at any voltage without introducing timing differences? No one would ever suggest that a house mains cable would be suitable for speakers.
I would - I know plenty of people using mains cable for speakers, they just leave one of the 3-core wires unused. Why not? It's copper wire, the same/usual applies wrt diameter and resistance over the length.

Timing differences? ? ? ?

Katji

Major Contributor
Given the SOTA of signal transmission and processing, can an ordinary non-“Golden Ear” listener actually truly detect “jitter” during music playback, when such music is streamed through contemporary kit? How does one “remove” jitter if it can’t be reasonably heard, if that’s the case? Just curious.
Refer to re-clocking and clock data extraction.
Hearing the effects is not necessary for eliminating it or reducing it, like SNR/distortion can be measured and filtered and so on, it does not have to be audible.

the_hamster 2

Refer to re-clocking and clock data extraction.
Hearing the effects is not necessary for eliminating it or reducing it, like SNR/distortion can be measured and filtered and so on, it does not have to be audible.
Which is to sort of say, if a tree fell in a forest and nobody was there to hear it, did it make a “sound”?

mansr

Major Contributor
If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around, Rob Watts will still be able to hear it.

Katji

Major Contributor
Which is to sort of say, if a tree fell in a forest and nobody was there to hear it, did it make a “sound”?
That [fake/so-called] zen story is one of the biggest nonsenses ever.

chris719

Actually i got no problems with optical, but I always wondered, if it could be the weak link in a good system.

In practice, TOSLINK may have higher jitter than a good coax interface, however, it's not an audible issue as long as the PLL in the receiver can lock. A lot of audiophiles will claim that SPDIF via coax is better, but I think the opposite is true. The real advantage of an optical link is complete galvanic isolation. Even when the coax interface uses transformers, it's not as perfect as optical. As a designer you have the choice to either tie the shield of the coax to chassis to prevent RF ingress, which means you aren't truly galvanically isolated (depending on how the source is wired), or insulate it from the chassis in which case you have preserved isolation but are now letting a cable into your enclosure.

Anyway, that may be more detail than you wanted. Optical is fine. It may need something after it to give you perfect graphs in Amir's J-Test, though.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the SOTA of signal transmission and processing, can an ordinary non-“Golden Ear” listener actually truly detect “jitter” during music playback, when such music is streamed through contemporary kit?

The Princess could detect a pea pod thru many mattresses

Top Bottom