• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is it about McIntosh?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I might be a little thick, but isn't this the type of "product" that McIntosh gives to dealers to display for moving so many $? Kind of like Pepsi and other soft drink clocks and other tobacco neon etc when I was a kid. Whatever they sell is gravy

But, but, but... It's "a must for every McIntosh owner", says so right in the ad!

Expensive gravy...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Am I the only one who covers up LEDs with black electrical tape?

Yup. ;)

(Lately that has been my only use for it, alas, aside from covering up the camera on my notebook.)

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
enhanced-buzz-orig-15664-1369069394-16.jpg

redshift

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the upcoming era of class d plate amped, wifi’d floorstander streamer speakers… Dead man walking.

There’s just so many audiophools and WAF’s left and they’re getting fewer by the minute.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the upcoming era of class d plate amped, wifi’d floorstander streamer speakers… Dead man walking.

There’s just so many audiophools and WAF’s left and they’re getting fewer by the minute.

There will always be mancaves.

redshift

There will always be mancaves.

My man cave is a ‘Jordan B Peterson’ nightmare of pinball machines, video games, firearms and dangerous machines of frivolous amusement.

You’re doing the 21’st century “man” thing wrong. :rolleyes:

Wall mounts FTW.

1627018857520.jpeg

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No usually use gaffers tape (in USA parlance, in British parlance this is duck tape in the USA) or electrical tape.

gaffers tape is designed to come off a surface fairly easily and not leave a residue
duct tape is a high adhesive tape that is very strong and will leave residue (unless the part breaks)
duck tape is mis-spelling of duct tape, as well as a cheap brand of it
electrical tape is a stretchable tape for um ... 'lectrical stuff, and adheres well to itself for wrapping

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Gaffer's tape is meant to be used by Gaffers setting up lighting etc. in the motion picture/video field (Yay IATSE! :D). It is strong and reliable but is not suitable for extended repairs because it can get gooey and / or dry out. It is meant to be used to keep things in place during a shoot and be torn down after. It is available in many colors for either color coding or for use with green screen materials and backgrounds. Duct tape has a different texture and adhesive and is intended for use on things like HVAC ducts and other such repairs. It is a general purpose tape and is usually gray color. Gaffer's tape is usually available at outlets which serve the motion picture industry (expendables suppliers). Duct tape is everywhere.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can buy gaffers tape on Amazon, but they don't have any Mitchell cameras to sell...

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
You can buy gaffers tape on Amazon, but they don't have any Mitchell cameras to sell...
Didn't those use something called 'film'? o_O

Reactions: Wes

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Duct tape is not even used on ducts, at least not anymore. There are specialty tapes that lower heat transfer.

Duck brand tape is garbage. Also overpriced.

Grumpish

Gaffer tape and a hammer, all that anyone needs in a toolbox. If it moves and shouldn't... hit it with a hammer. If it doesn't move and should... hit it with a hammer. And if it breaks when you hit it with a hammer, well that is what the gaffer tape is for.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Gaffer tape and a hammer, all that anyone needs in a toolbox. If it moves and shouldn't... hit it with a hammer. If it doesn't move and should... hit it with a hammer. And if it breaks when you hit it with a hammer, well that is what the gaffer tape is for.

And WD-40...

escksu

I am a fan.
Robust
Accurate
Heritage
Resale (not selling mine) 22 years ago 3k, average now on eBay 3500-4000.

They started out making mil spec and industrial amplifiers, not necessarily audio or consumer. Driving machines, flight simulators, etc. It morphed into consumer.

I recently took a good look at my MA6300 phono section, good specs. It uses a high accuracy AD op amp and a discrete RIAA section. imo no need for a separate phono amp. It has gain of 52 dB and SN of 81 at my cartridge level of 3.5 mV (rated sensitivity is 2.5 and SN of 90 at 10 mV). With my cartridge 28 dB of OL headroom (90 mV).

It looks old school, it's a love/hate thing, but the sound is good, by that I mean accurate with low signal degradation. I am not nouveau riche', and as plain Jane vanilla as you get. Lol

I do agree the design a love/hate thing. I originally hated the design. It looks really old school. But over time, I slowly grew to like it. I

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Who really cares? They do seem to have good resale value due their "reputation" which personally means very little.

Top Bottom