• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is it about McIntosh?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s highly unlikely the difference between the DAC in this amp and a SOTA DAC are audible. In any case, the Mac integrated preamp is superb so don’t hesitate to buy a Topping D30 to run outboard if you want the extra .001%.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The other sort of paradoxically interesting ;) thing about McIntosh: Their products are expensive but (by and large) not insanely expensive.
They're on the low end, price-wise, of the pure-play audiophile brand firmament, I'd opine (that's just an empirical/anecdotal observation).
For example, I think the current MC275 is (still) perfectly reasonably priced for what it is -- I just wish it didn't have goofy LED 'status' lights under the small signal tubes :confused:

I think that's why their market (for new products) is half nouveau riche (or oldveau riche, as the case may be ;) ) -- and the other half are guys in "wife-beater" t-shirts and worn-out Carhartt work pants who are spending their rent money aspirationally to have Mac 'cause it's the best man.

(note the very deliberate use of the verb "think" above-- strictly my opinions, no more & no less)

On the plus side, most (not all!) Mac stuff holds its resale value pretty well. :)

cronos

Buy one and send it in for review! Buy it for the looks. The audio is probably fine but not great. Probably a ton of power output.

Would that be possible? I am from Spain. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with customs at the border. It is a very expensive machine.

Is it possible to analyze both the amplifier and the DAC? or only the DAC would be analyzed?

cronos

Given the relatively small cost of implementing a good DAC, and given the possibility of changes in digital formats over time, I've never been much of a fan of a DAC inside (or as part of) an amplifier. It's easier to replace a DAC than an entire amplification chain.

Perhaps things are stable and it's not an issue. I recall when digits were a relatively new thing. Some integrated amps came with their own DAC--circuits that were soon obsoleted by new designs, making the digital feature sort of useless.

View attachment 82930

Thanks for your opinion. I think the same. Better a separate DAC.

However, I think that on the MA9000 the DAC module can be replaced for future updates.

I prefer a separate DAC with an integrated Streamer. Unfortunately MA9000 does not have a streamer, so I can only use it with a computer, it is not practical to use it with a mobile phone.

I'm interested to know if the quality of the amp justifies its high price. Perhaps, for me, a model without a DAC but with an amp of a similar quality would be better.

Tom C

Major Contributor
The other sort of paradoxically interesting ;) thing about McIntosh: Their products are expensive but (by and large) not insanely expensive.
They're on the low end, price-wise, of the pure-play audiophile brand firmament, I'd opine (that's just an empirical/anecdotal observation).
For example, I think the current MC275 is (still) perfectly reasonably priced for what it is -- I just wish it didn't have goofy LED 'status' lights under the small signal tubes :confused:

I think that's why their market (for new products) is half nouveau riche (or oldveau riche, as the case may be ;) ) -- and the other half are guys in "wife-beater" t-shirts and worn-out Carhartt work pants who are spending their rent money aspirationally to have Mac 'cause it's the best man.

(note the very deliberate use of the verb "think" above-- strictly my opinions, no more & no less)

On the plus side, most (not all!) Mac stuff holds its resale value pretty well. :)
Just turn the LED’s off. It’s simple and easy.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm interested to know if the quality of the amp justifies its high price.

McIntosh is known for longevity and support. At least here in the US. That said, their warranty is not particulary insipiring. 3 years, which is about average for class. For amplifiers, and for comparison, Benchmark offers five years and the Bryston warranty is 20 years.

If you are in Spain, I don't know how it is for service. I went to the Mac Web site and found pretty good dealer coverage in Spain. Buying expensive gear from a dealer who will support you and your purchase, long term, is always a good idea.

Siwel

Forum Donor
I've had my Mac stack for six years and it has never whimpered or required anything but mains power. Their stuff is built like a tank with no shortcuts. If you want colored bells and whistles they oblige but their audiophile focused gear is engineered and built to the highest standards.

What I don't understand is the hate, not the feature set nor the build and design philosophy which is conservative and makes for life long satisfaction. People knocking their stuff have obviously never owned it.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had Mac speakers for 20 years. Not impressed. They excel at using a lot of power and having poor frequency response. Probably still better than klipsch.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had Mac speakers for 20 years. Not impressed. They excel at using a lot of power and having poor frequency response. Probably still better than klipsch.
Why in the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster would you keep expensive speakers you don’t like for 20 years!?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why in the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster would you keep expensive speakers you don’t like for 20 years!?
Used to think they were good. Look how much power I can pour into them. Then they were rarely used as nobody in my family likes loud. Now I have the man cave and can play loud when I want. The macs sit in storage. Too hard to sell.

Siwel

Forum Donor

To be honest, I don't believe speakers are their forte or ever were and I don't think speakers are that important to their line either. Lately they have been a proponent of multi element/ line array designs (which we could discuss) but when was the last time you saw an ad for McIntosh speakers? They don't seem to promote them as far as I can tell, and neither do their dealers.

Relatively mainstream higher end audio amplification and associated electronics are their backbone, and that's something they are very good at.
You can't blame them for selling silly clocks if their customers want them. I don't measure them by their swag.

Siwel

Forum Donor
For example, I think the current MC275 is (still) perfectly reasonably priced for what it is --

That's the niche they target as well. Expensive, but not insanely expensive. Especially when you take overall cost of ownership into account. I don't consider them to be shooting for the flavor-of-the-day tweeky high end audio bucks in quite the same the way I would any number of strange concept wet dream companies. Or some turntable manufacturers or....cable....purveyors. What they sell is generally worth what you have to pay for it. You couldn't build it cheaper yourself and like Benchmark (since it's a laudable name that keeps coming up) they are made here and most of their products, components, chassis, etc. are actually made in house.

You pay for this, but it's a solid way to get the job done and an approach we used to admire in American industry.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Especially when you take overall cost of ownership into account.
I think this is an important point that sometimes gets lost in these discussions of ”high end“ audio. With many of these brands, there is an active after sales market which greatly reduces the cost of owning it. I love my Topping DAC, but there will likely be no buyers for it in 24 months time. You can always find someone willing to take an old McIntosh, Accuphase, Bryston, etc. off your hands at a decent price.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lately they have been a proponent of multi element/ line array designs (which we could discuss)...

Mac's 'array' designs have been around for years. I'm speaking from total ignorance since I never listened to a pair--I can only imagine what they might sound like. How they integrate 81 closely spaced drivers to create a coherent sound field is something I'd be interested in knowing. I'm sure you get a huge 'presence' with lots of power handling; but it's not going to sound like the usual coherency you might expect with a tall electrostatic or ribbon based loudspeaker.

To some it will certainly look 'impressive'. And it's certainly large. Couple it with a couple of their ninety thousand dollar (each) mono amps and make your dealer happy.

XRT21KL Angle J.jpg

Siwel

Forum Donor
Mac's 'array' designs have been around for years. I'm speaking from total ignorance since I never listened to a pair--I can only imagine what they might sound like. How they integrate 81 closely spaced drivers to create a coherent sound field is something I'd be interested in knowing. I'm sure you get a huge 'presence' with lots of power handling; but it's not going to sound like the usual coherency you might expect with a tall electrostatic or ribbon based loudspeaker.

To some it will certainly look 'impressive'. And it's certainly large. Couple it with a couple of their ninety thousand dollar (each) mono amps and make your dealer happy.

View attachment 83351

When I say lately, I mean "not the 60s or 70s." My experience with line arrays has always been related to large space acoustics: i.e concert venues, etc. There, developments in DSP for steering as well as their general innate ability to maintain a defined area of coverage while providing relatively consistent SPLs front to back and side to side make them useful but in those cases the near field (a big near field at that as these systems are scaled to purpose) is clearly of less practical consequence.

Their use in home reproduction as practiced by Mac or Carver is another approach to directivity control but seems wasted in small spaces and of course, there's the near field chaos to consider. I think that might be an issue in any case but like you, I have no experience with Mac's speakers or any line array designs geared to small, home listening spaces. They may be marvelous for all I know but their lack of acceptance leads me to believe there are other possibly more appropriate ways to skin the cat in a living room. But on this particular application, I am a bit out of my depth.

992SAM

What is your opinion of the McIntosh MA9000 amplifier? It has an integrated DAC.
10.000 euros approx.

m-mcintosh-ma9000-front.jpg

m-mcintosh-ma9000-rear.jpg

I have this and cannot say well enough about it... I came from a decent setup with separates before (NAD and Naim mostly) but had to downsize due to divorce and moving into a condo.. I use this with a pair of McIntosh XR50 book shelves and the McIntosh MCT500 SACD Transport and the sound is heavenly and clear all the way up the volume knob.. It looks great, but seriously heavy at over 100lbs... It sits on my Solidsteel HF rack and I worry it will puncture a hole into my floor!

MDAguy

Forum Donor

Very valid point.. my "Cheap" stuff is my McIntosh MC462 amp and C1100 (their top of the line) Pre-Amp, which retails for $14K... my mid range dCS Rossini with the world clock is north of $34K retail and my Accuphase SACD player retails for $18K with the room DSP I've got on order from Accuphase retailing for $25K..

McIntosh is also good value in that the resale is crazy good... meaning if you're able to drive down your dealer to 20% off, and maybe save sales tax shipping out of state, you're easily able to sell it later for about what you paid.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Cute indeed. I just wish - I JUST WISH - McIntosh would loose those silly green LEDs under the tubes in all their current amplifiers. I know they have a thing about green, but really..... :facepalm:

Top Bottom