• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is it about McIntosh?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nobody uses them in hifi. There are good reasons for that.

I know nobody uses them in hifi. That's the problem! And I've never heard a good reason why they aren't used either. The only reasons are tradition and install base.

When was the last time you were injured or placed in harm's way by banana plugs?

Never, because like I said, I'm mostly a headphone guy. I can't even remember the last time I hooked up a passive speaker. I still understand basic electronics though.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about damage to the amplifier from an accidental short, but it's still not particularly safe for the operator either. At least not compared to other electric safety standards. If an amp was classified as a power supply, which it really is, safety regulations would never allow for connecting bare terminals with unshielded connectors for home use.

WTF would someone say if a charger for a new gadget ended in banana plugs? Sure the manufacturer would tell you to be careful and plug both the bananas into you gadget before turning the charger on or plugging it in, and not to worry because it has reverse polarity protection. They'd say even if you did short it that fuses and current limiting would probably protect the charger, possibly let the magic smoke out, and have a less than 1% chance of starting a fire. All of that's true. If you're careful and know what you're doing it would be perfectly safe. Even if you zone out and accidentally short them you'll probably just get a a small spark and a little scare.

Everyone in their right mind would still tell them to f*** off and use a USB or barrel connector.

The only reason this gets a pass is with speakers is tradition.

It's not the safety scandal of the century or anything and they're only unsafe in comparison to newer and stricter standards but Speakons are just plain better because they leave less room for accidents.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
WTF would someone say if a charger for a new gadget ended in banana plugs? Sure the manufacturer would tell you to be careful and plug both the bananas into you gadget before turning the charger on or plugging it in, and not to worry because it has reverse polarity protection. They'd say even if you did short it that fuses and current limiting would probably protect the charger, possibly let the magic smoke out, and have a less than 1% chance of starting a fire. All of that's true. If you're careful and know what you're doing it would be perfectly safe. Even if you zone out and accidentally short them you'll probably just get a a small spark and a little scare.
Standard banana sockets have been illegal iirc in the EU for years because the spacing is the same as the mains plug. Mind you many makers still fit universal ones and use plastic inserts (which the determined can remove) to block the holes.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Standard banana sockets have been illegal iirc in the EU for years because the spacing is the same as the mains plug. Mind you many makers still fit universal ones and use plastic inserts (which the determined can remove) to block the holes.

Sounds like too many people confused their passives with actives...:eek:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, we've talked on and on about the fonts, the colored lighting, the meters, the tubes, the extreme power handling, the ability to crush your enemies with them, but for me it's all about...

Knobs.

Seriously. I spent an afternoon at a dealer with a large amount of McIntosh equipment and while the equipment itself didn't necessarily speak to me, the feel of the knobs was spectacular. They were smooth, heavy, and had a sense of acceleration as you turned them. They were like the BMW steering wheel version of a knob. You've gotta take 'em for a spin.

Ergonomics matters.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fortunately, the spirit of daring innovation remains alive in the USA, as demonstrated by Nordost's RCA-banana cable.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, we've talked on and on about the fonts, the colored lighting, the meters, the tubes, the extreme power handling, the ability to crush your enemies with them, but for me it's all about... Knobs. Seriously. I spent an afternoon at a dealer with a large amount of McIntosh equipment and while the equipment itself didn't necessarily speak to me, the feel of the knobs was spectacular.
For me, the worst user experience is running through a touchscreen menu tree. I like a knob and/or switches with some heft, and resistance, especially if they 'clunk' into place after the turn. Solid metal. A lot of the '70s Japanese gear had that. Even receivers. A Pioneer SA-9500 integrated amp sticks out in my mind. Wonderfully crafted mid to high-range product. You could go up the ladder to Accuphase for even better feel. Back then Accuphase still had a US presence.

I was looking at the Boulder amps. Those prices makes McIntosh or Accuphase look harmless and almost throw-away. I'm sure they are top rate electrically, but a very weird design. Angular without symmetry. Horrible aesthetics to my mind.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Are there any current pieces of gear with weighted knobs that continue spinning after you let go?

JBT

I think you are close on about it being like Harley Davidson. There was a time they were among the best of the best. Very beautiful, very well made, excellent performance, literally their gear lasts a lifetime. That has long ago passed however. They still make beautiful gear. Pretty well made. Performance is anywhere from okay to great to sometimes not very good. So it is a heavy duty build, and old school style that lets them live on their laurels from the past.
They're still among the very best and they still last a lifetime. American engineering at its very best

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're still among the very best and they still last a lifetime. American engineering at its very best
No to the 'very best' in American engineering. Mac represents old school. Big and heavy--not fast and light. They've staked out a place in the luxury market, and cater to that group. I don't think anyone believes McIntosh is cutting edge or the best in engineering. Cutting edge belongs to companies that offer SOA and forward thinking. Benchmark is more representative of the best American audio-related engineering than McIntosh. That does not mean there isn't a place for Mac. They've been around longer than anyone. So I hope they continue if for no other reason than that.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mac and ARC are both owned by the same company... I fergit who tho

AudioTodd

I’m pretty new to all things audio, and I’m curious about the mystic of McIntosh. I haven’t listened much at all to them but really appreciate the designs. It seems there’s a whole subculture not unlike Harley Davidson, people can’t really explain why they like them, they just do. What is the draw?

-Derek
A high end salesperson told me an interesting take on this: he has a client that only buys McIntosh stuff because that way he can upgrade, trade, switch gear around, etc. all he wants and, because it all looks the same, his wife cannot tell the difference so doesn’t demand equal spending on her “priorities!!”

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
IMG_9882.jpg

:D:D:D

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool! AkitikA...
Akitika has that David Hafler look. Back in the day you could even buy a McIntosh kit--the MacKit 30. I think it should be mandatory that every aspiring audiophile build a kit. There's nothing like pride of ownership along with the pure fun of doing it yourself. The smell of solder and burning fingertips! LOL Below was my summer project a few years ago.

20200416_070004.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think it should be mandatory that every aspiring audiophile build a kit.
Seconded! :)

... and scratch (or semi-scratch) building's even better!
Even starting with a 'storebought' PCB and stuffing and finishing it oneself is a fun, learning experience.

realhifiglows.jpg

Heck, in the (first) heyday of the hifi hobby -- there were McIntosh kits -- MacKits! :)

1587039572407.png

Last edited:

AudioTodd

Akitika has that David Hafler look. Back in the day you could even buy a McIntosh kit--the MacKit 30. I think it should be mandatory that every aspiring audiophile build a kit. There's nothing like pride of ownership along with the pure fun of doing it yourself. The smell of solder and burning fingertips! LOL Below was my summer project a few years ago.

View attachment 58946
Indeed!! I built an Audio Electronic Supply (Cary) AE-3 line stage, SE-1 300B amp and the corresponding speakers (info on which seems to have vanished from the web). Proudly they all fired up perfectly the first time - and I even caught, and called them to correct, a mistake in the instructions on the SE-1! It seems the factory guys just built them from basic knowledge and experience and not “by the book.” All my geeky reading about tubes wasn’t a total waste!!

After that I wished I had built my Hafler DH220 myself those 15 or so years before. I probably would have done a better job than the local tech who assembled mine!

Top Bottom