• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is best EQ tool on windows 11 for HD800s?

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

Here is a diffuse field compensated graph of the HD800S's frequency response versus some other headphones with a fairly neutral-ish response, that might give you a few hints on where some EQ-ing could be useful. The HD800S is in dark purple.

View attachment 214044

I would not try to boost the bass all the way up to match the best extended headphones above. But it looks like the 800S could maybe come up a few dB in the 40 to 70 Hz range in the bass. And it might be just a tad warm in the lower mids/upper bass around 300 Hz or so.

Treble is a little bright above 5 kHz. And it looks like the upper mids could be a tad depressed, and maybe brought a bit more forward in the 1.5 kHz range. And possibly also just a bit around 3.25 kHz. YMMV on that.

The response on this headphone is not that far from neutral to begin with, except in the bass, where it's more rolled off (like most open-back headphones). So some of the above could be a little nitpicky.

The curves are all centered in the 500-1000 Hz range on the above graph btw. And centering them to a different frequency range (such as the treble) might give you a different impression of where adjustments need to be made.
Interesting thx. I noticed some songs sound awful when using the preset of dance or rock. But was better with Pop.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting thx. I noticed some songs sound awful when using the preset of dance or rock. But was better with Pop.
You probably need to move away from the presets and look to creating a profile that is based on how the headphone measures (first) then how you prefer it (second)

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

You probably need to move away from the presets and look to creating a profile that is based on how the headphone measures (first) then how you prefer it (second)
I use 4 different EQ tools.
On pc, i use fxsound for gaming where I found a good EQ profile.
For macbook and iphone, I use their own built in eq. This is where I need to change the EQ profile for some songs.
For Bluetooth with AppleTV4k, i use the fiio phone app eq as their eq is only for BT. For now. But I change the EQ profile for different youtube songs or for movies on Netflix.

I wish i had a single hardware spot to adjust eq. Like a schiit loki connected to the fiio K9. Would that be better?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use 4 different EQ tools.
On pc, i use fxsound for gaming where I found a good EQ profile.
For macbook and iphone, I use their own built in eq. This is where I need to change the EQ profile for some songs.
For Bluetooth with AppleTV4k, i use the fiio phone app eq as their eq is only for BT. For now. But I change the EQ profile for different youtube songs or for movies on Netflix.

I wish i had a single hardware spot to adjust eq. Like a schiit loki connected to the fiio K9. Would that be better?
Not really. That is more of a tone control. Ideally you want a parametric EQ (like EAPO on the PC) and create a profile that makes the HD800S more in line with a recognised target - like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsp3jucy5lsty0m/Sennheiser HD800S.pdf?dl=0

And of course you can then tweak those settings to whatever you like to taste.

For music at least it will likely be transformative for you. I would worry less about games and movies.

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

Not really. That is more of a tone control. Ideally you want a parametric EQ (like EAPO on the PC) and create a profile that makes the HD800S more in line with a recognised target - like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsp3jucy5lsty0m/Sennheiser HD800S.pdf?dl=0

And of course you can then tweak those settings to whatever you like to taste.

For music at least it will likely be transformative for you. I would worry less about games and movies.
Ok thanks. Holy shit, i just learned about parameteic vs graphic vs tone equalizers. LOL. Just when I thought I got what I need.
So basically this $80 parametric device is needed? It looks huge and my wife is gonna kill me for adding another device on the sofa end table.

Now I see why folks get the $1300. RME 2 amp with para eq. But it lacks a Bluetooth.

Any other device that does it all?

Cadence 7 Band Parametric Equalizer with 7 Volts RMS of Output, CEQ735 https://a.co/d/0HGDL8a

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok thanks. Holy shit, i just learned about parameteic vs graphic vs tone equalizers. LOL. Just when I thought I got what I need.
So basically this $80 parametric device is needed? It looks huge and my wife is gonna kill me for adding another device on the sofa end table.

Now I see why folks get the $1300. RME 2 amp with para eq. But it lacks a Bluetooth.

Any other device that does it all?

Cadence 7 Band Parametric Equalizer with 7 Volts RMS of Output, CEQ735 https://a.co/d/0HGDL8a
I wouldnt go for a hardware option, you really dont know how much it impacts the signal. Decent DSP boxes like the MiniDSP stuff run far more expensive. Why dont you try it with the Bluetooth on the K9 as you have that already- she how that suits you trying the settings I linked you to.

Your life would be loads easier if you used one source for music on the k9 and found a way to EQ at source (like EAPO on the PC) or the iphone/ mac equivalent. I dont game or use headphones for movies but others do say decent EQ makes a difference. I would still focus on EQ for music first

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

I wouldnt go for a hardware option, you really dont know how much it impacts the signal. Decent DSP boxes like the MiniDSP stuff run far more expensive. Why dont you try it with the Bluetooth on the K9 as you have that already- she how that suits you trying the settings I linked you to.

Your life would be loads easier if you used one source for music on the k9 and found a way to EQ at source (like EAPO on the PC) or the iphone/ mac equivalent. I dont game or use headphones for movies but others do say decent EQ makes a difference. I would still focus on EQ for music first
Got it. I game 3 hours a day on workdays and 10 on weekends.
I rarely listen to music on headphones since streaming content is bountiful.
At late night i use headphones for streaming content since I have Dolby atmos speakers which is loud and if the spatial dome effect freaks out my dogs.

I don’t even know what is a CD or DVD since that’s before my time. Are those better than internet?

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

Didn’t think of using Bluetooth on PC and macbook/iphone. Will try it. Shiit, less cables the better actually. I’m already in trouble for that. Especially the HD800 cable. Lol

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn’t think of using Bluetooth on PC and macbook/iphone. Will try it. Shiit, less cables the better actually. I’m already in trouble for that. Especially the HD800 cable. Lol
Dont forget not all Bluetooth is equal- different protocols on different devices which can mean very different bit rates/ quality. How audible that is is a different question. I would go wired where possible.

Top Bottom