• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is an equivalent product to HiFi snake oil?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can actually find all kinds of weird eggplants in the supermarket's "food from around the world" section where I live. White, green, yellow, round, pear shaped, oblong...
Photo you shared brings some much needed clarity to the name "egg plant" actually :)

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What do you really mean, I don't understand? Is it that today's vegetables and fruits are mostly less healthy than they used to be? Yes, it probably is. Spraying, chemicals, fertilizers. Bright. You can certainly buy better vegetables, fruits, but also meat, and worse, from worse sources, it's obvious.
PS What diet do you consider to be generally more valuable than, for example, paleo?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you really mean,
I mean the premise of Paleo diet that we would be healthier if we ate what our ancestors ate during Paleolithic era is bogus.

I don't understand? Is it that today's vegetables and fruits are mostly less healthy than they used to be? Yes, it probably is. Spraying, chemicals, fertilizers. Bright. You can certainly buy better vegetables, fruits, but also meat, and worse, from worse sources, it's obvious.
I don't know if today's veggies are healthier or not. Use of pesticides etc aside, I don't think anyone does.

PS What diet do you consider to be generally more valuable than, for example, paleo?
I have my opinions but my wider point in the original post was that it's probably best not to get dietary advice from random people on the internet :)
I would recommend Dr. Peter Attia's podcasts as a good source of general health information.

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I don't know if today's veggies are healthier or not. Use of pesticides etc aside, I don't think anyone does.

The first problem is defining what "healthier" means, and it's related word (but nebulously defined) "nutritious". Both "healthy" and "nutritious" are relative terms for the individual. You can even apply them to the population as a whole, but not to every individual in the population. For example, you could give some general advice:

- consumption of saturated fats is worse than unsaturated fats, and overall higher consumption of fat is unhealthy,
- too much sugar is bad for you. This includes high GI sugars like carbohydrates.
- any diet needs "sufficient" minerals and vitamins, depending on which mineral and vitamin. For example, excess Vitamin C is excreted in the urine. Excess Vitamin A and Iron is not excreted and can lead to toxicity.
- too much salt is bad for you.

However, that advice is not necessarily true for some individuals. The most obvious are people with bleeding problems who need more Iron than a normal person. People who have chronic disease states usually expand more energy than they consume, so they are encouraged to increase their calorie intake by eating more carbs and fat. And lastly, terminal patients should not be given dietary restrictions in some misguided attempt to make them live longer. Let them eat what they like.

Adi777

However, that advice is not necessarily true for some individuals.
Yy, too much sugar? Sugar is shit for everybody. I don't eat sugar from long time, also I don't buy food with sugar. If I want eat something really sweet I use good sweetener - erytrythol.

"overall higher consumption of fat is unhealthy,"

What do you mean? If you have low-carb diet you must eat more fat than carbs, it's simply. If high carb, much more carbs - good carbs, that's it.

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
Yy, too much sugar? Sugar is shit for everybody. I don't eat sugar from long time, also I don't buy food with sugar. If I want eat something really sweet I use good sweetener - erytrythol.

"overall higher consumption of fat is unhealthy,"

What do you mean? If you have low-carb diet you must eat more fat than carbs, it's simply. If high carb, much more carbs - good carbs, that's it.

Erythritol might not be a 'good' sweetener.

There has been a ton of media coverage of erythritol in the last couple of weeks.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/erythritol-cardiovascular-events

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/erythritol/

Adi777

Erythritol might not be a 'good' sweetener.

There has been a ton of media coverage of erythritol in the last couple of weeks.
If someone use not to often, like me, it's okay, I'm sure.

subframe

Maybe less snake oil and more just another example of ridiculous marketing copy, but wine is full of subjective nonsense masquerading as rigorous analysis.

The continued use of cork, however, is snake oil. There are serious problems with cork, including the possibility of completely ruining the bottle. And provably better alternatives exist and are within easy reach if any producer. But cork is ‘romantic’…

jsrtheta

What do you really mean, I don't understand? Is it that today's vegetables and fruits are mostly less healthy than they used to be? Yes, it probably is. Spraying, chemicals, fertilizers. Bright. You can certainly buy better vegetables, fruits, but also meat, and worse, from worse sources, it's obvious.
Outside of special needs that vary from individual to individual (with more people having no special needs than not), the optimum diet consists of about 65% carbohydrates, 20% fats, and 15% proteins.

And you should be getting your vitamins and minerals from this diet. If not, supplements can help. However, vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat soluble and thereefore should not be taken in excess of recommendations.

Megavitamins are generally unnecessary and, for the reasons stated above, should be avoided.

Philbo King

Medical care in the USA fits this perfectly:
- Extremely overpriced
- Generally ineffective
- Shopping mistakes get buried
- Good product is available only for the very wealthy

Adi777

the optimum diet consists of about 65% carbohydrates, 20% fats, and 15% proteins
It depends on the choice of diet. After all, you can be on a low-carb diet, which can also be a good and valuable diet.
It depends on the food products.

KellenVancouver

Climate change.
Bingo.
According to Smithsonian Institution, the current average global temp is 55.5F (13C). Geologists say Earth is, at minimum, 4 billion years old. Need to go back a mere 53 million years to see average global temp at 81.5F or 27.5C (again per Smithsonian). 53 million years represents a mere 1.3% of Earth's geologic time, but temps then were 47% higher, indicating average global temperatures swing rather wildly over relatively short time periods. More to the point, Smithsonian indicates that the average global temperature over the past 400 million years is 71.8F (22.1C), so Earth is obviously at a particularly cool period in global history at this point in time. Don't like these facts and numbers? Too bad, because this is reality folks. With time this planet will naturally recover back to its "normal" average global temperature and there is absolutely nothing mankind can do to prevent it. For mankind to think it has the ability to control this planet's climate is not just the height of ignorance, but more accurately blind arrogance. So indeed, the hubris and ignorance of the "prevent climate change" crowd is snake oil far worse than anything we've seen in the audio world.

SuicideSquid

You eat sugar.

If you didn't eat sugar you'd be dead. It's a fundamental requirement for your body to function.

Bingo.
According to Smithsonian Institution, the current average global temp is 55.5F (13C). Geologists say Earth is, at minimum, 4 billion years old. Need to go back a mere 53 million years to see average global temp at 81.5F or 27.5C (again per Smithsonian). 53 million years represents a mere 1.3% of Earth's geologic time, but temps then were 47% higher, indicating average global temperatures swing rather wildly over relatively short time periods. More to the point, Smithsonian indicates that the average global temperature over the past 400 million years is 71.8F (22.1C), so Earth is obviously at a particularly cool period in global history at this point in time. Don't like these facts and numbers? Too bad, because this is reality folks. With time this planet will naturally recover back to its "normal" average global temperature and there is absolutely nothing mankind can do to prevent it. For mankind to think it has the ability to control this planet's climate is not just the height of ignorance, but more accurately blind arrogance. So indeed, the hubris and ignorance of the "prevent climate change" crowd is snake oil far worse than anything we've seen in the audio world.
What a brilliant example of using facts to obfuscate the truth.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like this topic is a hard one to keep apolitical.

Top Bottom