• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is an equivalent product to HiFi snake oil?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

lemnoc

Like I said, bizarre.
You must be another quack that's why you find it bizarre ;)

I'll tell you what's bizarre is when you find your father-in-law slumped down on the kitchen floor in a pool of blood due to massive internal bleeding that was not caused by the cancer itself. The same people kept ringing him up to badger him to go and get his shots until he could no longer get them anymore. That's what they do. That's the second one they got in our family with their miraculous cures. :(

You make your own judgments.

cheers

lemnoc

It is getting kind of disturbing.
And 6 years ago I was thinking exactly like you were thinking that these people know all about cancer and they are experts and you should listen to them and do everything they tell you to do. A dose of reality can be a hard lesson some times but a good lesson none the less.

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
That's the second one they got in our family with their miraculous cures. :(

They are not miraculous cures, nor do we claim them to be. "Miracle" is not language used by scientists. All treatments are statistical cures, which is hard for individual patients to understand. A lot of doctors also seem to forget that.

ravh

#1 HiFi
#2 Wine, very similar to HiFi, there are good wines or better or even sometimes much better wines at lower price brackets
#3 Modern Art

HiFi and wines are very similar in many ways, I do not want to buy generic looking speakers but measured well. They all should be part of my interior design.
This is why I'm using a pair of Davone Audio Mojo in my bedroom.

Wines can be somewhat worse, it goes out of our body. There's a big market for 'investment-grade' wines.
I prefer fun wines, not necessarily cheapo suphur-powered wines. But good wines can be purchased at very reasonable prices.
And it's fun to visit these small-scale family-run wineries.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what to call the Goop genre of products, but here's another one:

(that site is a good one for debunking health-related snake oil)

dorakeg

Just want to add my own list of snake oils in cars!!

1. Spark plugs and plug cables that adds more horsepower!
2. Fuel line magnets
3. Special intake fans, sometimes called turbonator.
4. Engine oil additives (most are really snake oil but no snakes inside)
5. Fuel additives that claims to add more power and/or save fuel
6. Electric superchargers/turbo.... Nothing more than a fan on a small 12-24V motor...

Keith_W

Major Contributor
6. Electric superchargers/turbo.... Nothing more than a fan on a small 12-24V motor...

Not disputing that this is snake oil. But I was wondering what the CFM of such fans are like compared to the CFM of an engine. It MIGHT contribute a small torque boost at low RPM when engine CFM is low? Anybody know the answer?

dorakeg

Not disputing that this is snake oil. But I was wondering what the CFM of such fans are like compared to the CFM of an engine. It MIGHT contribute a small torque boost at low RPM when engine CFM is low? Anybody know the answer?

You can check out here for more info.. avoid the first type mentioned in the article.

lowmagnet

Turbos use exhaust gases to "spool up" and they lag behind your acceleration curve. Supers use the power take off from the main crank shaft and belts and are able to more quickly spool up. The reason people are turning to electric turbos (and there are legit electric turbos installed factory) is that lag. BMW has a turbo that they've been working on that's a combo of an exhaust fed turbine and electric windings to kickstart the pressure, reducing lag.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Paleo diet, as well as a bunch of other diets and general nutrition advice people give each other, almost all of which have a good story but no factual base.
Corporate Social Responsibility.
Managed Investment Funds.
Almost all cures and home made remedies for cold and flu.

lowmagnet

Paleo diet, as well as a bunch of other diets and general nutrition advice people give each other, almost all of which have a good story but no factual base.
Corporate Social Responsibility.
Managed Investment Funds.
I swear, most fad diets just confuse your very adaptable biology for a moment, resulting in malnutrition. Once you acclimate, the weight comes back on.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What are you writing about? If I understand correctly, the paleo diet is all about eating as little processed food as possible. Are you saying it's snake oil? What is wrong with good eating? Lol.

egellings

Major Contributor
What are you writing about? If I understand correctly, the paleo diet is all about eating as little processed food as possible. Are you saying it's snake oil? What is wrong with good eating? Lol.
The paleo diet is all about eating meat only, if I got it right. Correct me if I'm wrong. That could get boring pretty fast, since there aren't nearly as many flavors in different meats as are there are in plant foods. Then there is the excessive heme iron residue in an all-meat diet to consider. Humans (that's us chickens, bedawk!) have long small intestines to allow more time to digest the cellulose walls of plant cells. That makes us omnivores. The short intestinal tracts of cats make them obligate carnivores, since plant-based foods would get pooped out before long they got a chance to be absorbed. So enjoy a balanced diet and the large variety of flavors available in plant foods & seasonings.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You are wrong.
You can eat a lot of different food, not only meat. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, and another.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Paleo diet's premise is that we should be eating the plants and animals our ancestors ate during Paleolithic era. People say that's what we have evolved to eat, so should be good for us. On the face of it, is makes sense. If you dig a bit deeper, you see it actually does not. Paleolithic era is 3M years long - which plants and animals are we actually talking about? Some of the animals they hunted for meat for example, they hunted them to extinction so good luck finding a wooly mamoth steak. Planet has been through an ice age, South and North American continents touched each other forming Central America, people found Australia, all of which has different plants and animal species. Which ones are we supposed to eat? Some others say it is about not eating the foods we came up within the last 10K years. That also makes sense. Until you start thinking again. The apple people ate 10K years ago and the apple I buy from the supermarket are not the same fruit. Nor is the carrot, corn, potato, lettuce, kale etc. You can not find the plants our habilis ancestors ate in the food section. We continue evolving, and so does our food.

If you take it to mean eat as little processed food as possible, I don't think there would be anything wrong with that in my personal opinion.

Last edited:

dorakeg

Paleo diet's premise is that we should be eating the plants and animals our ancestors ate during Paleolithic era. People say that's what we have evolved to eat, so should be good for us. On the face of it, is makes sense. If you dig a bit deeper, you see it actually does not. Paleolithic era is 3M years long - which plants and animals are we actually talking about? Some of the animals they hunted for meat for example, they hunted them to extinction so good luck finding a wooly mamoth steak. Planet has been through an ice age, South and North American continents touched each other forming Central America, people found Australia, all of which has different plant and animal lives. Which ones are we supposed to eat? Some other's say it is about not eating the foods we came up with in last 10K years. That also makes sense until you start thinking again. The apple people ate 10K years ago and the apple I buy from the supermarket are not the same fruit. Nor is the carrot, corn, potato, lettuce, kale etc. You can not find the plants our habilis ancestors ate in the food section. We continue evolving, and so does our food.

If you take it to mean eat as little processed food as possible, I don't think there would be anything wrong with that in my personal opinion.

True. I am not sure if there are chickens, sheep, cows back then. For plants, many vegetable are more recent food.

I don't know how accurate is this but I don't think people eat carrots millions of years ago.

Also, us (homosapiens) like exist only around 350,000yrs ago...

Top Bottom