• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is an equivalent product to HiFi snake oil?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some electric guitarists can get a bit overly mystical about their amps and effects pedals and all the minutia of the tubes/opamps/capacitors/etc within, but I suppose that's in the same realm as audiophilia. Of course, all that gear is usually intended to operate very far from anything approaching linearity and fidelity or anything objectively measurable, so maybe all that stuff matters more, but without seeing someone distinguish them in a double-blind test I'm very skeptical that you could tell the difference between two brands of film caps.
That's just a different subject....audio production vs reproduction of that finished product....

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Some electric guitarists can get a bit overly mystical about their amps and effects pedals and all the minutia of the tubes/opamps/capacitors/etc within, but I suppose that's in the same realm as audiophilia. Of course, all that gear is usually intended to operate very far from anything approaching linearity and fidelity or anything objectively measurable, so maybe all that stuff matters more, but without seeing someone distinguish them in a double-blind test I'm very skeptical that you could tell the difference between two brands of film caps.
For most of that equipment, the results should be measurable and comparable. But it's not really that good to get between a musician and their preferred instrument regardless, even if that instrument has capacitors!

Galliardist

Major Contributor
THC and mushrooms heightens at least some of your senses. All probably know about the munchies and food tastes better part, but it also affects for example hearing by making you hear better.
I'm no scientist, but here's my two cents. Firstly THC slows down "time". For example if you play a first person shooter game you would react faster as the game seems slower and you can hear more details in music because it's slower. If you take a small enough dose you wouldn't necessarily hear music as slower, but only as sounding better and more holographic.
Of course just like normally you listen to music not every time would yield as positives vibes. Pardon the pun.
As I understand it, while that game may appear to slow down, your reactions will not be at the same speed or accuracy to take advantage of it.
And I've seen a few bands while they (no, never me) have been out of their heads on various substances, and it NEVER improves their performance. I don't therefore believe that any of these substances would improve my ability to understand a performance as a listener. I'm not going to go beyond that simply because I've never been there.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
But, back on topic, the differences between fancy vodkas seem pretty evasive, although I certainly haven't bothered to try them side by side, or exhaustively.

Best get to it then, life is short.

Żubrówka with Bison grass is tasty. As are the sheep whey vodkas from Hartshorn, which also come oaked or peated (my autocorrect decided to change that to naked and seated, I guess that depends who you are with, and what you mean by 'exhaustively').

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've never heard a musician talk about film caps, or any caps for that matter. Some might, but I've never heard it.

Musicians are concerned with how the music they are making actually sounds in live performance and in the studio. I believe it was Ray Davies of The Kinks who, in an effort to get the distortion he wanted, reached into the amplifier and tore the speaker cone. And voila! We got "You Really Got Me", one of the great British rock songs of all time. I never heard of him comparing the sound of a torn Jensen speaker cone versus a torn JBL speaker cone.

But creation of distortion as an element of one's sound is a very different thing than the concern someone listening to playback at home has for distortion. (For that matter, I've never heard of a guitarist hunting for magic NOS tubes. The ones I know tend to get whatever their local music supplier has in stock. Meaning new, meaning Russian.)

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I've never heard of a guitarist hunting for magic NOS tubes
Back in the early 80s my bandmate's dad could scrounge a seemingly unending supply of different valves from his work. Mostly mil-spec Mullards, Philips and RCA I seem to remember. I had a silverface Bassman top and my mate had a Hiwatt Marshall clone. It made a huge difference which brand of valve you used in both the preamp and poweramp stages. Some would give a smooth and creamy distortion, others gritty and gnarly. They were not 'audiophile' differences but huge obvious differences between ostensibly the 'same' components.

There are guitarists who claim to be able to tell the diffence between brands of 9V battery used in their distortion pedals. Not sure sure I believe that though ... ;-)

Recluse-Animator

As I understand it, while that game may appear to slow down, your reactions will not be at the same speed or accuracy to take advantage of it.
And I've seen a few bands while they (no, never me) have been out of their heads on various substances, and it NEVER improves their performance. I don't therefore believe that any of these substances would improve my ability to understand a performance as a listener. I'm not going to go beyond that simply because I've never been there.
"various substances" probably includes alcohol.
My motto is that If you have no experience of the substance in question you are not valid to talk about its abilities.
Then there's the tolerance side of it. People who smoke every day don't get affected by it the same way and if you use from waking up to going to bed then this state becomes the new norm for you and it's like you're sober.
My bodies "default" tolerance is too high and nowadays I can't get the quality high I want at least not with the stuff I can get my hands on. There was a period when I could get a quality high if I had breaks between. I even two times had an out of body experience. A feat that no one else have had that I know of or have heard of IRL.

Recluse-Animator

Best get to it then, life is short.

Żubrówka with Bison grass is tasty. As are the sheep whey vodkas from Hartshorn, which also come oaked or peated (my autocorrect decided to change that to naked and seated, I guess that depends who you are with, and what you mean by 'exhaustively').

image11.jpeg

How a single straw of grass can make a drink taste so terrible is insane.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
"various substances" probably includes alcohol.
My motto is that If you have no experience of the substance in question you are not valid to talk about its abilities.
Then there's the tolerance side of it. People who smoke every day don't get affected by it the same way and if you use from waking up to going to bed then this state becomes the new norm for you and it's like you're sober.
My bodies "default" tolerance is too high and nowadays I can't get the quality high I want at least not with the stuff I can get my hands on. There was a period when I could get a quality high if I had breaks between. I even two times had an out of body experience. A feat that no one else have had that I know of or have heard of IRL.
Alcohol was not always involved. And the worst band I ever saw play, it was just a very large amount of cocaine.

And while you are right that I cannot talk about these abilities you've perceived from the inside, I can observe, and that to me is enough to make what comments I did, and I'll stand by them - but go no further.

It's my choice not to use, and I hope people don't condemn me for making that choice.

egellings

Major Contributor
The perfume actually serves its intended purpose. It doesn't claim to do something a perfume cannot do.

Recluse-Animator

Alcohol was not always involved. And the worst band I ever saw play, it was just a very large amount of cocaine.

And while you are right that I cannot talk about these abilities you've perceived from the inside, I can observe, and that to me is enough to make what comments I did, and I'll stand by them - but go no further.

It's my choice not to use, and I hope people don't condemn me for making that choice.
Cocaine is totally different than THC.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cocaine is totally different than THC.
I'll second that. Cocaine is high tension, high voltage high addictive everything while THC is relaxed, ponder, mull something and chill. :D Today's cocaine is toxic brew with a killer dosage of toxic crap. What kind of jerkoff would sell that stuff? Back in the day it was cocaine and not fentanyl or whatever.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
That definition doesn't help you.
Help me? I did not invent the word or term. Nor did I have anything to do with its various meanings and uses. I was attempting to show that it’s official definition does apply in many cases to the way the terminology is used here. So, your comment makes zero sense and I think you have confused my post with someone else’s.

But to be clear, and to serve as a refresher on the post you quoted above. Here is the definition link I posted: (bolded and underlined for emphasis)

“snake oil
/ˈsnāk ˌoil/

noun
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
noun: snake oil; noun: snakeoil
  1. a substance with no real medicinal value sold as a remedy for all diseases.
    • a product, policy, etc. of little real worth or value that is promoted as the solution to a problem.
      "the new tax plan was denounced as snake oil"

Recluse-Animator

I'll second that. Cocaine is high tension, high voltage high addictive everything while THC is relaxed, ponder, mull something and chill. :D Today's cocaine is toxic brew with a killer dosage of toxic crap. What kind of jerkoff would sell that stuff? Back in the day it was cocaine and not fentanyl or whatever.
Capitalism psychosis as I call it. Stock prices has to keep on rising. Everything needs to be made cheaper so that profits can be larger. Even with cocaine.
Uncut cocaine isn't bad for your health. At least not if you use it from time to time. You can't die from cocaine withdrawal.
There's studies that shows nicotine and sugar being more addictive than cocaine.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Capitalism psychosis as I call it.
Cocaine psychosis is a real thing and then there is my invention cocaine induced psychopathic personality. Harsh abusers of cocaine become psychopathic and do stuff they don't normally do.
Stock prices has to keep on rising. Everything needs to be made cheaper so that profits can be larger.
One would perhaps need to be stoned out of their mind on cocaine to pull off some of the stock market maneuvers that hurt so many.
There's studies that shows nicotine and sugar being more addictive than cocaine.
Not in my experience. Cocaine is veryyyy addictive especially in crack cocaine or freebase forms.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Help me? I did not invent the word or term. Nor did I have anything to do with its various meanings and uses. I was attempting to show that it’s official definition does apply in many cases to the way the terminology is used here. So, your comment makes zero sense and I think you have confused my post with someone else’s.

But to be clear, and to serve as a refresher on the post you quoted above. Here is the definition link I posted: (bolded and underlined for emphasis)

“snake oil
/ˈsnāk ˌoil/

noun
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
noun: snake oil; noun: snakeoil
  1. a substance with no real medicinal value sold as a remedy for all diseases.
    • a product, policy, etc. of little real worth or value that is promoted as the solution to a problem.
      "the new tax plan was denounced as snake oil"

The minor crimes that "north americans" commit against language are frequent, manifold and persistent.

Recluse-Animator

Cocaine psychosis is a real thing and then there is my invention cocaine induced psychopathic personality. Harsh abusers of cocaine become psychopathic and do stuff they don't normally do.
Certain people can get psychosis from just about anything. THC and probably alcohol too.
Not in my experience. Cocaine is veryyyy addictive especially in crack cocaine or freebase forms.
Crack is very addictive, but that's not pure cocaine. There's even some people who have stated that there's two kinds of crack. One that includes cocaine and one that doesn't.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Crack is very addictive, but that's not pure cocaine. There's even some people who have stated that there's two kinds of crack. One that includes cocaine and one that doesn't.
RFLMAO... chuckle chuckle... too funny.

drallim

THC and mushrooms heightens at least some of your senses. All probably know about the munchies and food tastes better part, but it also affects for example hearing by making you hear better.
I'm no scientist, but here's my two cents. Firstly THC slows down "time". For example if you play a first person shooter game you would react faster as the game seems slower and you can hear more details in music because it's slower. If you take a small enough dose you wouldn't necessarily hear music as slower, but only as sounding better and more holographic.
Of course just like normally you listen to music not every time would yield as positives vibes. Pardon the pun.
My understanding of it is that THC inhibits an inhibitor in the neurochemistry, allowing signals to flow unrestrained. So it's not that you're hearing better it's that you're hearing more. You become aware of every little background noise that your brain would normally filter out, like you're getting a more raw input. Same thing with music you notice little things deep in the mix that you normally wouldn't focus on. In some ways it's similar to an anxiety state, and probably helps explain why many people experience a type of paranoia. "What was that?".

Last edited:

drallim

I think the wine label language definitely matches audiophile reviewer language, but overall wine doesn't work because at least two different wines reliably taste different even to a layman. Whereas in audio in many cases there is provably no audible difference at all. For the wine thing to work it would have to be a magic wine glass that imbues properties to the wine like increased floral depth and better tannin separation.

Top Bottom