• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Is An Audiophile?

delta76

Major Contributor
No those would be audiofools. True audiophiles at least attempt to understand the physical principles behind high quality recording and playback. Granted, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, but departing the land of reason to pay hundreds of bucks for quarter sized felt discs to put on ones windows to kill resonances and promote harmony--thats pure la-la land audiofoolery and not to be confused with the real deal.
Look around and you will see. Audiophile speaker cable. Audiophile interconnects. Audiophile network cable. Audiophile stand. Audiophile network switch.

The term is so tained now so I don't think many serious, self respecting audio enthusiasts want to associate themselves with it

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Look around and you will see. Audiophile speaker cable. Audiophile interconnects. Audiophile network cable. Audiophile stand. Audiophile network switch.

The term is so tained now so I don't think many serious, self respecting audio enthusiasts want to associate themselves with it
It's like the Pro/Professional label. Just with more fog and spin.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Surprising to me is how few posts there are here at ASR about recording quality, recording labels, microphones and placement, recording techniques, mixing, pressing etc.
You're right, not much on production here; but there isn't much that the typical listener can do to correct perceived deficiencies in the recording.
Exactly fpitas, Amir started this site with the focus being on the measurement of gear.
The problem being when we were active at other sites that did a lot of music coverage we
were run off for discussing the science of audio reproduction.
Anyone is more than welcome to discuss the music here in any manner they choose.

Aleksandar RS

It's true what you say, but the fact that some abuse that word I don't think bothers real audiophiles. How low would one's self-esteem have to be to be upset by something like that.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's true what you say, but the fact that some abuse that word I don't think bothers real audiophiles. How low would one's self-esteem have to be to be upset by something like that.
None the less, it still pissed me off what a mockery many have made of our passion for musical reproduction excellence. :mad:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
As were 78s both acoustic and electronic, 45s, and Edison cylinders.
Would you call them high fidelity today just because they had their day in the sun.?
It's sort of a valid point. But in the days of 78s, cylinders etc, the concept of hi fidelity didn't exist - just the ability to record and playback music at all was almost miraculous. Vinyl, and the development of technology to play it, was the end result of a quest for high fidelity. I'd also guess** that the gap in (audible) fidelity between those older technologies and vinyl is bigger than the audible gap between vinyl and digital.

**I don't really know - I've only ever heard 78's demonstrated in museums, played on purely mechanical players. I suspect that isn't a totally fair representation of their maximum possible performance.

delta76

Major Contributor
It would be interesting to have a poll here to see how many members would describe themselves as audiophiles.
I certainly do not, but will be interesting to see

Aleksandar RS

It would be interesting to have a poll here to see how many members would describe themselves as audiophiles.
I certainly do not, but will be interesting to see

If we agree that "An audiophile is a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction" as SineWave wrote, I could place myself in that category. It doesn't mean that you should tell everyone "I'm an Audiophile" you can simply put yourself in that category, if that's important. In my opinion, it's important to just enjoy the music.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, only if they didn't own a first rate digital component also.
Would you call someone an audiophile if they owned a $10,000 system but only used AM radio for a source?

IMHO, Audiophool is the catch-all.
If a persons true goal isn't to own a system "capable" of reproducing music in a SOTA manner, or as close as he can afford
he's not a true audiophile. The goal of true High Fidelity system (accurate to the source) has always been the dream of a true "Audiophile".

It's sad that the general pubic believes the term simply defines someone who spends a lot of cash.

Ok, so what is your threshold for "audiophool" vs "audiophile" in terms of how something measures?

Ultimately even if you seek accuracy, it's what you hear from the listening position that matters, right? (Which is why speaker dispersion/room acoustic influences are part of the equation).

So if you take a look at room measurements, what levels of distortion discriminate between someone with an "audiophile" vs "audiophool" system? Does a small bass hump in the response cast one mercilously in to the "oh well, looks like you are an audiophool" camp? What's acceptable or not?

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I think being an audiophile is a name bestowed on the person by others. I had never heard the word and my brother in law
with no hesitation, named me one. 1978 or so. I found out the title is awarded, not earned. I've met a few through the years.
BTW you have to accept the HONOR.

You don't even have to have a system.. No where in the description does it say you have to have anything but the love of
music and how do I get it. I don't care if it's in the Congo and the music of choice is screaming children, dying gerbil chirps
and beating on hollow trees.

Before people put the term down "Autophile" you better find if you're in the closet. You may have to own up to
really liking music and the journey to get there. THAT is an audiophile.

The CRAP that dealers and miracle workers claim is what gives the term "audiophile" a bad name not the individual music
lover. There is nothing wrong with gear preference. Hammering on a person or people because of that is like saying
only BIG dogs count as ANY dog.

The term audiophool is as derogatory as the person spouting it. You have to accept the gift before it's your. I personally
return it to everyone that uses it about another music lover. Speak for yourself, about yourself. I think a little more of
myself.

As a young one I learned calling anyone a FOOL is the worst insult you could call a person.
You could use every 4 letter word ever used, end the screaming with a whisper "you fool" the hat dropped and the dust flew
when someone called another a FOOL. A DORK was a very close second. A nasty term used on POWs during WWII in the
European theater by their captures. Figure out the language for yourself. Boog-A-lee French/Spanish.

I know all the curse words, it's a talent just in case I insist on the VERY last word. LOL

Time to take Bill for a walk. He's a goat.

Regards

JRS

Major Contributor
Waste of money if you buy it because you think it actually changes the sound when it doesn't, at least audibly. And we have to remember that you have changed your stance on things in last few days: at first you argued, correct me if I'm wrong, that there might actually be a change in the sound even if it cannot be measured, then it was more reliable components and customer service and now it is "just let people buy what they want". If you stick with the last one then I hope you don't get any more flak.

But anyways, however you define audiophile it has to do with audio, right? And in this case if you want to make equipment part of the equation then the devices have to actually do something. As regardless of what the formula is for "the perfect sound" it has to do with the sound itself which can be measured very easily. Equipment that doesn't cause measurable difference in the sound is just furniture, jewelry or decoration, making sound better by changing how the brain interprets it. But stick with "perfect experience" and again I hope you don't get complaints and you can be free to improve the experience with esoteric equipment or for example various edible substances that have a huge effect.
Cheapest upgrade to ANY system is a two dollar THC gummy. If you seek sonic nirvana that might cost 20 more.

JRS

Major Contributor
Count me in
DSP + DYI + a few decent tools has saved me much $$ and even more uncertainty and misery.

Don't accept that.

If some on-line hack wants to rail on cable lifters, specially blessed network gear, or other silliness then let them. To be sure there absolutely are audiophiles who worship at the alter of such silliness, but there are also many who buy raw drivers at Parts Express and do their best to make a better sounding system than they could otherwise afford.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Count me in
DSP + DYI + a few decent tools has saved me much $$ and even more uncertainty and misery.
That's how I got started. DSP didn't exist yet, but I bought a decent integrated amp, an entry level phono and cassette deck, a pile of raw drivers and a sheet of MDF.

My first few speakers were not quite what we can do today, but they played music and got the juices flowing. Today almost 50 years later my woodworking tools and skills have improved. More importantly testing and measurement equipment the big boys couldn't have dreamed of then are now surprisingly easy to use and affordable. It has been a hell of a trip.

JRS

Major Contributor
Ok, so what is your threshold for "audiophool" vs "audiophile" in terms of how something measures?

Ultimately even if you seek accuracy, it's what you hear from the listening position that matters, right? (Which is why speaker dispersion/room acoustic influences are part of the equation).

So if you take a look at room measurements, what levels of distortion discriminate between someone with an "audiophile" vs "audiophool" system? Does a small bass hump in the response cast one mercilously in to the "oh well, looks like you are an audiophool" camp? What's acceptable or not?
Agree that there us no hard and fast line, but getting back to a point I made earlier, most true audiophiles have an interest in the underlying physics and are equipped with enough skepticism to not throw money at improvements for which no physical/pyschoacoustical basis exists. Granted its easy to be confused by the engineering vs advertising game, and who here among us has never chased a spec that for all intents and purposes is meaningless, for instance SINAD numbers that are probably one to two orders of magnitude.more than what is audible? But I would also hazard to say that true audiophiles recognize that the numbers are likely meaningless, but opt for the better kit for peace of mind (as opposed to screaming you must be bloody deaf if you can't hear the glaring differences (of course never having done a blind ABX on him or herself). That there is just sheer arrogance.

Edit: another difference is most audiophools have never measured their systems despite the inexpensive and not too technically demanding equipment.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There are many reasonable thresholds for audible distortions levels in gear if you do the homework but,
In large part, audible distortions are all solved problems for digital sources and electronics, (if we chose our components wisely) only speakers
and the room interface still present us with real issues. I believe we have just crossed into areas of DRC that in the next 20-25 years will supply us with in-room sound only dreamed of.
Sadly I probably won't be around then. ;)

Edit: another difference is most audiophools have never measured their systems despite the inexpensive and not too technically demanding equipment.
Even worse is they phoo phoo the value of measurement and repeatedly shout, "just trust your ears". :(

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree that there us no hard and fast line, but getting back to a point I made earlier, most true audiophiles have an interest in the underlying physics and are equipped with enough skepticism to not throw money at improvements for which no physical/pyschoacoustical basis exists. Granted its easy to be confused by the engineering vs advertising game, and who here among us has never chased a spec that for all intents and purposes is meaningless, for instance SINAD numbers that are probably one to two orders of magnitude.more than what is audible? But I would also hazard to say that true audiophiles recognize that the numbers are likely meaningless, but opt for the better kit for peace of mind (as opposed to screaming you must be bloody deaf if you can't hear the glaring differences (of course never having done a blind ABX on him or herself). That there is just sheer arrogance.

I've never seen the positive in trying to demarcate people with a passion as a "true" (or "false") anything. It just seems a way of othering, and usually putting oneself in higher regard. I'll leave divisions like "only a true...X" to the religious zealots :)

pderousse

Is this a metaphysical question? E.g. Why are we all here (in this room?). Simply, Latin audire = to hear, listen + an objective genitive Greek philein = to love/like - thus an audiophile is a lover of listening- anything else and you are changing foreign languages. Btw, the word implies nothing about marketing or personal insecurities about being an elitist or quality/****** electronics or season tickets or economic status. By definition, you could do audiophilia by being a good partner.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
**I don't really know - I've only ever heard 78's demonstrated in museums, played on purely mechanical players. I suspect that isn't a totally fair representation of their maximum possible performance.
I grew up around 78s and then in the 70-90s had a second TT with 78 speed selection and a Stanton spherical stylus to play them on.
They sounded fairly decent but all of my inherited disc were in pretty lousy condition.
At the last couple audio shows I went to, a couple rooms had gear demo'ing 78 playback gear with top quality discs. The sq could be amazing for the antique format. The 78 speed alone could offer a high resolution spec but dismal playing time.

I've never seen the positive in trying to demarcate people with a passion as a "true" (or "false") anything. It just seems a way of othering, and usually putting oneself in higher regard. I'll leave divisions like "only a true...X" to the religious zealots
I agree, but this is what the OP asked for.
As an old timer being involved from nearly the beginning, all gear at the time suffered from very audible distortions and issues.
I feel the "audiophile' label was formed in those earlier days as people searched for the causes and ways to eliminate them.
The Absolute Sound​
It's just a shame how much this desired goal has been bastardized. :facepalm: :mad:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Knowing that the largest culprits in distortion are the speakers, here's a question: how well has speaker design been able to reduce distortion in, let's say, the last two decades? Is it hard to reduce it even further or phisics are simply hard to bypass at this point?

Top Bottom