• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is a nice tea to drink?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I grew up in those Yorkshire Dales (that's a composite picture from several places).

We still have a tea delivery company up here in the North East - Ringtons. I get a delivery once a month, including the biscuits to go with the tea. :D

I once bet my wife that I could easily distinguish Yorkshire Tea from Ringtons Breakfast Tea - failed miserably.:facepalm:
I mail order from Ringtons as I mentioned in my previous post. I also bought a gadget like this from them but they no longer seem to sell it. It is excellent for green tea.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I mail order from Ringtons as I mentioned in my previous post. I also bought a gadget like this from them but they no longer seem to sell it. It is excellent for green tea.
When our delivery man (still with a wicker basket slung over his arm) comes later this month I'll mention it to him. They are always coming up with new promo ideas, so who knows?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Frank Dernie I think reference as Herbal tea is quite enough and that anything more would be vogue, rude and unkind.
I really hope you would agree with me, best regards.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As part of their job my father and his colleagues had to spend several months at a time in India.

They got fed up with leaves in the tea so the next time they went out they took a suitcase full of tea bags and gave them to the char wallahs.

The tea arrived and it still had leaves in it so they went into the kitchens to complain. They found the char wallahs sat on the floor, cutting open the tea bags and pouring the contents into the tea caddy. 'You don't put paper in tea' was their defence.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When our delivery man (still with a wicker basket slung over his arm) comes later this month I'll mention it to him. They are always coming up with new promo ideas, so who knows?
It is quite a few years ago and mine has Ringtons branding on it. My guess is they custom ordered a batch and it didn't sell that well so they didn't continue. It is a long time ago but I may even bought it at a clearance discount. It works really well with green tea where you infuse the same leaves several times.
I just checked my order history on their site, I bought it for £9.99 in April 2013 :)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Frank Dernie I think reference as Herbal tea is quite enough and that anything more would be vogue, rude and unkind.
I really hope you would agree with me, best regards.
Herbal infusion is fine. Calling something tea which contains no tea is just wrong use of English.
I suppose as everything it depends on your nationality and native language.
In English the meaning of tea is clear.
In American tea seems to mean something else IME, that is all.
Being English I am perhaps more than usually sensitive to this sort of thing.

DHT 845

The best is Golden Yunnan but it's quality varies depending on the source...

gy.PNG

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well epistomology would be chai because there is no č in Anglo-Saxon languages from Chinese and never referred to a Camellia sinensis as a plant and even less alone (reference is herbal medical drink). The reference tae - Camellia sinensis and nothing more is unacceptable in 80% of the world which actually drinks 96% of it. Its also a part of lot people's folklore with deap cultural (even religious) tieds which can differ a lot. Still if you are English and refer to only proper tae you would be most likely pardoned as once again everything else would be vogue, rude and unkind.
Once again have a nice time and best regards.

raindance

Major Contributor
I'm originally from South Africa and was raised on strong English tea. I choose PG Tips for my everyday tea. Yorkshire Tea will do at a pinch. Most English style black teas here in the USA are far too weak to be enjoyed with milk and sugar .

I really don't much like Earl Grey. BTW, bergamot is a type of orange with a flavor you either love or hate.

Rooibos tea, which isn't a proper tea, but has health benefits, and which I helped my cousin in Canada import in large quantities for resale many years ago before it was available in North America, is not something I have a taste for.

Lately I've been moving away from the milk and sugar and I'm finding the floral taste of Oolong quite pleasant.

I also really like a Scottish breakfast blend that a local tea shop makes in Raleigh that contains just a touch of Lapsang Souchong to give it a slightly smoky note, rather than tasting like a campfire ashes somehow got into your cup.

I also enjoy good Chinese green tea, such as Tradition from Good Young Company in Taiwan, available from Asian supermarkets - these are tea bags that taste like loose leaf. No more than 5 minutes brew time though. It's an unfermented fresh green tea.

Lastly, Yerba Mate, which is the only tea I typically drink that isn't actually made from the traditional tea plant, has a lovely flavor, but you don't want to drink too much of it as it's been associated with mouth cancer, most likely due to people drinking it excessively hot (well hopefully), but it's floral and delicious.

DHT 845

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I have had some Chinese tea that was delicious, relaxing and left me with a wonderful palate for some time afterwards. To get some of that would be great.
Look online, it's rare even in the tea obsessed UK to find the fanciest teas for sale, the price can seem high, but you use very little, and many of them work for multiple infusions, I often prefer the 2nd infusion to the first.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
A valpolicella or ruffino wine is my fav for Italian food. Dry as a bone. Off topic but I am the OP...lol
OFF TOPIC? That's My Middle Name!

So...
This right?
1636294401580.png

For the Valpolicella, what do you recomend?
1636294688795.png

1636294719019.png

1636294752248.png

BTW.. The WINE I had today was GASTLY! It was right up there with NIGHT train. I think Schlitz Malt Liquor would probably be a better choice.
The PIZZA WAS TOP NOTCH! That waitress knows how to make a PIZZA! (She looked Italian too!) Loved the atmosphere and noise.

But man... It's sure as hell is no McMenamins for wine selection. But who wants to be Puffy in a place like this?

You want to know what I miss the most? Bartenders who were top notch. You can't get this drink made right anymore. Well not at McMenamins. It got downrated to 3 stars for a hotel for a reason.
But this is the drink (Wrong Glassware used)
Spanish-Coffee-Vertical-6-800x1200.jpg

The drink should look like this, but with the Sugar rim being almost like Rock candy.
52fd26af32d9e.image.jpg

The only place that did it PERFECT was on the Portland Spirit as I recall. Also, the Space needle YEARS ago did a Pretty good job. But its just not the same as it use to be.
This video is about as close as it gets.. But the sugar was almost indistinguishable from the glass itself. And only on the tip with a HINT of Salt and tart.
Not jagged like the one bellow.
sugar-rim.jpg

Speaking of Rimming with delight, never heard of this being done with a coconut caramel confection on the rim. Might try to make these one day.
sugar-rim.jpg

A neat trick BTW if you are ever early for Breakfast, and you desire a Resiling? And they happen to pull it out of cold storage? This works to warm it up. Cold wine... YUK!
ycvfHvRJgdnoUt-ASNlyiFeea7NI_PdvnI8edhkqVXfNSaUPiIAzH1KE1kSzjVb8Lk8Mva7PKX5M3ar8im0Pzii6mNixwuRKGvGhHEWmeCqvr5yZ7eKu49ofzfgJjVeNt6cHx6GozHiKVuu_4otQpCg2pLjE8A2yyr0vKoOWwjfNO3flqQhtbwqljQwQiT1MvJ5w_nSPd5I1kIK3DAKTlYdvVFaYx_cqNvYZJOX37_4Crk5x4XWIfkwkNQINBq-m2_wmD3mPrYKiTvvAXod7-lHKWt0BfpRc0zjIwG5KKQlvJBC8gD6SN7BeBbPB9xH4wcz0b4I7HGfJuALpGneydKVkj93rHBug6J6kie4XhSOq5oQrBuj4QoQf3mFPRsAqlgdtnx6qDF0A1A6xsqm8k6Qa74rAWoqqC_qa_iEFVJJY5_ugf4BPGeMiudkSObcW8o0jBZoiuaIoVFnuTies-lg5Q2Plq3wbK51h8lfaXP1ZVExWzEElTk7uUzKB2trPwgmvtu2X3VC-eB34e38tJEze7RRWCmp9LLy0SLr8j533SLKzXe3aJZwabTMk0xNAF7gxU0_CYzy_yJZsnOg-nVwroqU1vhJW8tvSXfs7ekICFwGqfx_YWhixxMIM3efbdv1UvfLCm3lE_KxtJwliduyQT2Q7gbUMzzMKrqx-4bHt4CMsFENWjzD1MaJr6I89Nd0KB3Pxx_8VgFRs0zAKfqQHkA=w365-h729-no

Let me know about it via PM or whatever. This post is in the membe
rs forum, I don't think many will care for some extra content. But to be polite? Its not viewable unless clicked.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about some Japanese green tea?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Do you have a source for those numbers?
No numbers are mi free estimates. Its simple really. Asia with China on first place, India, Africa and Turkey alone account for more than 80% of production and consumption. All do Britain's are on third place (without Ireland) by consumption per head that's only 68M of people. It might be not 96% but it won't be far.
But knock your self out, this is a good source:

Unground

I went through a few teas from this place many years ago. I ordered a job lot and tried all sorts, then re-ordered what I liked. Looks like they have the pressed pu erh cakes that someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

Must be over 10 years since I had anything from there. Time to have another go I think.

Top Bottom