• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is a good system (server + app) to stream and transfer music from a NAS to an iPhone

halloleo

I'm looking to stream music from my Synology NAS to my mobile (iOS) and at a 2nd stage to an Arcam rPlay. Additionally I’d like to dowload some playlist to the phone for use on the go.

And the moment I try Synology's proprietary "Audio Station" (server) plus the "DS Audio" (iOS client). However it feels pretty clunky. So I thought I should try other Music clients (like e.g. Reglian), but then I guess I need another server on my NAS too.

So my question is: What do other people with a (Synology) NAS to stream and download their music to their mobile?

Smitty2k1

I run Emby and Logitech Media Server on my NAS (unRAID) and use a variety of streamers. HEOS, Chromecast Audio, RPi, and just got a WIIm Mini. Wiim is the easiest and has the most features I'd say.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Plex? I use the native DLNA in my QNAP.

OP
H

halloleo

I run Emby and Logitech Media Server on my NAS (unRAID) and use a variety of streamers. HEOS, Chromecast Audio, RPi, and just got a WIIm Mini. Wiim is the easiest and has the most features I'd say.
Thanks for chiming in, Smitty2ki.

I had a look at the apps you mentioned - and if I understand it correctly none of them enables audio streaming (or even downloading) the music to the iPhone. They are merely remotes, right?

Any apps for listening on the iPhone?

Smitty2k1

Thanks for chiming in, Smitty2ki.

I had a look at the apps you mentioned - and if I understand it correctly none of them enables audio streaming (or even downloading) the music to the iPhone. They are merely remotes, right?

Any apps for listening on the iPhone?
Sorry I missed that part. Emby should do it without any additional hardware I would think. At least the app does on Android.

Ears of Tin

I live in an Android household. I occasionally use the BubbleUp app to stream from my Western Digital NAS to my phone, listening with headphones. The app allows downloading to the device so I can continue to listen when I'm no longer on WiFi.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your Arcam is able to act as UPNP client, the following might work (I use it for my Denon X3700).

On my iPhone/IPads I run mconnect (costs a small fee). It is the interface and enables you to select several music libraries (eg Quobuz or local ones such as from any NAS). It also allows you to stream via UPNP, Airplay etc to any player showing up on your local network. Synology runs the simple Mediaserver as the interface is handled by mconnect and the Synology Mediaserver can be selected as a source within mconnect. The data is directly streamed from the NAS (Synology 920+, 16G RAM, 512G SSD Cache) to the player, in my case the X3700. As I also use Qubuz, mconnect is a convenient one-fits-all interface for me which also controls the volume of the player (Denon X3700, pre-amp Mode only). (BTW. Afik Tidal interfaces also with mconnect). All in all it works reliably and well at a fraction of the cost of Roon and without requiring the NAS computing power which Roon needs when run on a Synology.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
F

freemansteve

It sounds like you you want hear music coming out of your phone, but your music files are stored on a NAS. You also want the music files to be seen by your Arcam unit. If you want to cast music from the phone to another device, that is not what the text below is about!

You need a component on the LAN that has network file access to the NAS unit, and that will also work as a DLNA/UPnP server to other devices. The other "devices", include a phone, tablet, PC, Arcam etc., and device will then need to run client software that can 'see' the DLNA server on your LAN for playback of the music, and have means to control viewing and presenting music files to the playback system - the controller and playback system might be combined. Some NAS units happen to run a DLNA server internally but most do not. I have an old Buffalo unit that does - it serves videos and/or music to every device in my house.

One way is to use a device like a Raspberry Pi to act as a DLNA server, which will connect over WiFi to your NAS. Something like Volumio is a popular way to make a Pi into a DLNA server.

In fact, you can run a DLNA server on many compute platforms, and they can be the cheapest old PC you can get your hands on. If you run Linux on an old PC, you can run Volumio on it as well many similar apps to make a DLNA server. It's functionally the same as using a Pi. You can use a Windows PC, and run something like Universal Media Server on it (I use it myself, and it's fine, and unlike Plex etc, it's very simple and doesn't report data about you back to base!). Again there are many free DLNA servers you can run on an old Win PC....

Then you could run something like VLC on your phone. Once setup right, it will discover your DLNA server on the LAN, and let you playback music and videos that live on your NAS. You can also run Foobar2000 just for music, on your phone, and that app will also do gapless playback (unlike VLC). You can set up playlists on the NAS and play those back through DLNA..

I think your Arcam will discover the DLNA server you have setup, and there will be an app to control it (or use a browser) and it will presumably then play into you amp and speakers. I believe that device is an example of DLNA client (or renderer if you prefer the standard terms), but which also needs a controller (browser or separate app), unlike VLC or Foobar on a phone.

Apologies if I misunderstand what you are trying to do!

OP
H

halloleo

Thanks for the info!

On my iPhone/IPads I run mconnect (costs a small fee). It is the interface and enables you to select several music libraries (eg Quobuz or local ones such as from any NAS). It also allows you to stream via UPNP, Airplay etc to any player showing up on your local network.

Cool. Does mconnect act as a mere remote for other "renderers" (I think this is the lingo for Muisc output devices) or can it play the songs itself as well?

Synology runs the simple Mediaserver as the interface is handled by mconnect and the Synology Mediaserver can be selected as a source within mconnect. The data is directly streamed from the NAS (Synology 920+, 16G RAM, 512G SSD Cache) to the player, in my case the X3700.
Which Mediaserver do you run on the Syno? "Audio Station"? Or another package? Or even something totally outside Synology's package system?

All in all it works reliably and well at a fraction of the cost of Roon and without requiring the NAS computing power which Roon needs when run on a Synology.
Yes I am looking at Roon too, but the high subnscriptioon price is off putting. (I wouddn't mind paying their monthly price as a yearly subscription fee, but every month I think it is a bit too much.)

OP
H

halloleo

@freemansteve Thanks a lot for your detail;ed reply!
It sounds like you you want hear music coming out of your phone, but your music files are stored on a NAS. You also want the music files to be seen by your Arcam unit.
That's exactly what I want - plus downloading the Music to the phone for offline listening.

You need a component on the LAN that has network file access to the NAS unit, and that will also work as a DLNA/UPnP server to other devices. The other "devices", include a phone, tablet, PC, Arcam etc., and device will then need to run client software that can 'see' the DLNA server on your LAN. [...]

One way is to use a device like a Raspberry Pi to act as a DLNA server, which will connect over WiFi to your NAS. Something like Volumio is a popular way to make a Pi into a DLNA server. [...]
Yep, indeed I need a server somewhere. I'm not too keen on a server on a separate Pi - I'd rather like to install a server on my Synology NAS: I assume my DS1520+ is powerful enough to run a music server.

Then you could run something like VLC on your phone. Once setup right, it will discover your DLNA server on the LAN, and let you playback music and videos that live on your NAS. You can also run Foobar2000 just for music, on your phone, and that app will also do gapless playback (unlike VLC). You can set up playlists on the NAS and play those back through DLNA.
I have looked at VLC before: it seems to me more geared towards video than music.

I also tried Synology's phone app "DS Audio" - and it is not a great experience. It does offer file download, but so far the UI doesn't agree with me. (E.g. I have no idea how to initiate download of mutiple songs in a playlist.)

I certainly will look at Foobar2000!

I think your Arcam will discover the DLNA server you have setup, and there will be an app to control it (or use a browser) and it will presumably then play into you amp and speakers. I believe that device is an example of DLNA client (or renderer if you prefer the standard terms) [...]
Yes, the rPlay is a DLNA/UPnP "renderer". I have used it in the past as an Airplay devices which worked reasonably well. (Far from perfect though: Some erratic disconnects - and then it often had difficulties to reconnect.)

Apologies if I misunderstand what you are trying to do!
No, no, you understood me very well. Thanks again for your detailed info. Much appreciated!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Plex app looks like more for video. Is it any good just for music listening (and diwloading frommthe server)?
It’s a complete media server solution. It does pretty good for music. You can use either the dedicated Plexamp music app on your iPhone or the full Plex app to download music and listen to it locally offline. It’s free to try out on your own network. It supports Dlna streaming to your home stereo so depending on what your system supports you can likely use your phone to remote control streaming from server to your stereo.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the info!

Cool. Does mconnect act as a mere remote for other "renderers" (I think this is the lingo for Muisc output devices) or can it play the songs itself as well?

Which Mediaserver do you run on the Syno? "Audio Station"? Or another package? Or even something totally outside Synology's package system?

Yes I am looking at Roon too, but the high subnscriptioon price is off putting. (I wouddn't mind paying their monthly price as a yearly subscription fee, but every month I think it is a bit too much.)
a) mconnect is mainly the „remote“ (UPNP renderer and controls the volume of the Denon) but it also plays to your iPhone/iPad so you can actually used it also as a player on your mobile device. Try it. I think there is a free version with ads and you only pay if you don’t want the ads. I tried all kinds of UPNP renderer from the App Store and found this one the best suited for me as it also includes the Qoubuz integration.

b) I use the most simple mediaserver which comes with the standard Synology package. It is simply called Mediaserver. It uses very little overhead and computing resources on your NAS (as opposed to the cumbersome DSAudio, which I didn’t like). This Mediaserver does not provide a fancy interface, but it doesn’t have to, because that is provided by mconnect.

c) Yes. For me I don’t see the additional value of Roon. The Quobuz interface on mconnect does all what I need. Album cover, sorting, favorite lists, track info etc.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will look for it, thx. So it is installed by default, right?
No not by default but it is in the standard package store. see the screenshot. It might be named slightly different in your country but it s from Synology.

Attachments

• F869DF75-1958-4C0C-A43A-40002CFC186B.jpeg
    F869DF75-1958-4C0C-A43A-40002CFC186B.jpeg
    420.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is mconnect with Quobuz as source and rendering to the Denon.

Attachments

• 93581F5F-2B75-4009-8BE4-B6AA73161C4F.jpeg
    93581F5F-2B75-4009-8BE4-B6AA73161C4F.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 216

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
You can try Flacbox for iOS and see if it works for you. It is free in basic form. There are some options that you pay for, if you like it, but for basic playback it is free.
I like that it uses SMB service and not the DLNA, since I never liked those DLNA servers messing up my folders.
I don't know what equivalent solution would be for Arcam.

F

freemansteve

@freemansteve Thanks a lot for your detail;ed reply!

I have looked at VLC before: it seems to me more geared towards video than music.

I also tried Synology's phone app "DS Audio" - and it is not a great experience. It does offer file download, but so far the UI doesn't agree with me. (E.g. I have no idea how to initiate download of mutiple songs in a playlist.)

I certainly will look at Foobar2000!

VLC works fine for music (and video). What is does not do is "gapless playback". Recent versions have decent GUI, so worth another look.

FB2K is music-only, but some people don't like the cosmetic look of it, but it does do "gapless".

I don't know "DS Audio" at all; I assume it is proprietary DLAN renderer.

With proprietary NAS or NAS/RAID units, some are "closed systems" which may or may not include services like DLNA built-in (my Buffalo does) and others are more open, in that they may let you load extra applications such as DLNA.

For my second NAS/RAID unit, I am leaning towards a cheap, old PC running Linux, doing all the RAID in software, maybe a distro geared towards RAID-out-of-the-box, and then running a simple DLNA server on it too.

F

freemansteve

I like that it uses SMB service and not the DLNA, since I never liked those DLNA servers messing up my folders.

A DLNA server does not "mess with" any folders or files. It just creates a (hidden) database of any media files within the folders that you have specified. It scans those files for tags, artwork etc, so that a renderer can get a "virtual view" of your music in terms of, things like, Playslist, By Folder, By Genre, By Album, By Band etc. and access to the actual files....

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking to stream music from my Synology NAS to my mobile (iOS) and at a 2nd stage to an Arcam rPlay. Additionally I’d like to dowload some playlist to the phone for use on the go.

And the moment I try Synology's proprietary "Audio Station" (server) plus the "DS Audio" (iOS client). However it feels pretty clunky. So I thought I should try other Music clients (like e.g. Reglian), but then I guess I need another server on my NAS too.

So my question is: What do other people with a (Synology) NAS to stream and download their music to their mobile?
Try Plex

Top Bottom