• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is a good piano reproduction???

gizmo

We must start from the basis that the reproduced sound is different from the direct sound. Thanks to these clear there differences music industry. That is why the domain of the field to relativize perspective and also lower mechanical reproduction factor present in absolutely irreconcilable differences shorten dynamic in favor of subjective dynamics.
The quality of the recording itself is indifferent. Expressive content and therefore the true meaning of the musical message can be displayed perfectly, but apparently, the recording quality is not the best. The high fidelity is not born as an adversary with live sound.

The high fidelity born of a purely documentary perspective. The hi-fi industry itself is full of misleading advertising the original sin of the "test tone" of Edison. True high fidelity is different than what the industry itself would have us believe anything. This is not new
Sorry for my poor english.

regards
gizmo

fas42

Major Contributor
The quality of the recording itself is indifferent. Expressive content and therefore the true meaning of the musical message can be displayed perfectly, but apparently, the recording quality is not the best. The high fidelity is not born as an adversary with live sound.
"Perfect" fidelity of course is impossible. But then there are two options: have conventional playback, that which occurs 99% of the time, where it is always obvious that a piece of machinery is attempting to mimic the event, and a lot of effort has to go into optimising the listening situation to minimise that obviousness; or, the far more difficult alternative, raise the overall quality to the point where the human hearing system 'accepts' the illusion as being valid, without conscious effort, irrespective of the listening environment.

gizmo

raise the overall quality to the point where the human hearing system 'accepts' the illusion as being valid, without conscious effort, irrespective of the listening environment.

Completely agree. So I think the key to "cheating" the brain comes from the hand of the temporal domain for less effort in the playback, less mechanical factor. If the playback is sufficiently fluid (and here it is vital to start with a correct speaker positioning depending on the modal behavior of the room) it is just as believable a piano regardless of the quality of the recording, IMO.

Regards!

TitaniumTroy

I have heard on other forums that since the piano is such a physically large instrument, getting a proper soundstage is difficult to record correctly. Planer speakers which are also relatively large, reproduce the piano's imaging better, than say your average size cone midrange or woofer. Of course planers limitations in dynamic impact would have to be taken into account.

Personally I have no idea, but I like the discussion.

fas42

Major Contributor
I have certainly heard very conventional speakers do piano extremely convincingly - would easily pass the "Lead a blindfolded person into the room, and have them guess what they're listening to" test. Getting the transient attack right at high volumes is key, because, in part, that fills the room with reverberation, that evokes the quality of the real thing ... toy pianos, what one often hears from audio systems, need not apply ...

Top Bottom