• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What *ifi?! Truth?!! Integrity?!!! - Come hither, if your blood pressure can take it.

Waxx

Major Contributor
My homebrew comments were meant to apply only to hi-fi amplifiers. I am not involved with musicians' amplifiers at all. That's a whole different category of amplification in which some colorations, anathema to hi-fi, might be considered desirable attributes.
I don't agree always on that, altough there are great tube amps homebrewed and a shitload of ****** tube amps arround. It's also not that easy to do a tube amp right as many think. You need quiet a lot knowledge about this old technology to make a good sounding hifi amp, and enough skills to work safe with high voltage circuits.

And if you like me can buy a very good model (tested and proved) that is very non-bling and logic in it's approach, and that for -75% off the normal sale price in a stock clearance it's not.

And on the dissing of tube amps, again: Amir doesn't do that (he is clear about what and how, advantages and disadvantages, no disses) but many others on this site did and pushed in my trought very fanaticly (in forum and pm) that i need to ditch it and by a class D amp and use software to get the wanted harmonic distortion. I'm also called stupid, retard, and so on by some of them.

I'm not impressed, because i'm not here to please someone or get status, but many who read on this forum are affraid to post for this kind of behaviour of a few hardcore objectivist that think their taste is the only one that is valid and fanaticly attack everybody who dares to doubt their opinion as a fact.

Newman

Major Contributor
Surely your “hardcore objectivists” don’t focus on “taste”?

egellings

Major Contributor
As far as tube amp construction goes for me, I am able to do that since I am an electrical engineer by profession, now retired, and understand the straightforward circuits found in tube amps, and have worked with much higher voltages than those in tube amps while helping to develop lightning surge arrestors using carbon blocks, gas discharge tubes and other surge protection devices downstream. In spite of that background, I do not dismiss the danger posed by voltages in tube amps; they can kill for sure, and I am careful when working on them. One wrong move in a live tube amp, and I can become worm food, just like that. Easy. Electricity doesn't care. Always be careful around high voltages.

Top Bottom