• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What If want add my LP player to a pure digital setup.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
I know it may not make too much sense but bear with me a little.

So, I have:

* RME ADI-2 DAC preamp/DAC (3 digital inputs, toslink, coaxial, usb) (2 analog outputs, XLR and RCA)
* Behringer a800 amp (until I am richer) - xlr in
* SB-1000 subwoofer - rca in
* Pi with picoreplayer - toslink
* CD-player - coaxial

Now... I have a rega LP player with its own Rega Fono Mini A2D and I want to add it to this purely digital setup somehow without spending a large sum.

What would you guys do? Is it worth it?

I'm not sure how to proceed here and not sure if I can do something without degrading the analog signal significantly.

Thanks in advance

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Connect both Rega Mini Fono and RME DAC to a PC via USB. Run free audacity in record mode, record from Rega while playing to RME. Should work.

Edit: this may work on the Pi as well, if no GUI then possibly with command line tools.

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Connect both Rega Mini Fono and RME DAC to a PC via USB. Run free audacity in record mode, record from Rega while playing to RME. Should work.

Uhh, very smart! Didn't even remember the usb out of the Rega Fono Mini A2D :facepalm:

Great!!

levimax

Major Contributor
I know it may not make too much sense but bear with me a little.

So, I have:

* RME ADI-2 DAC preamp/DAC (3 digital inputs, toslink, coaxial, usb) (2 analog outputs, XLR and RCA)
* Behringer a800 amp (until I am richer) - xlr in
* SB-1000 subwoofer - rca in
* Pi with picoreplayer - toslink
* CD-player - coaxial

Now... I have a rega LP player with its own Rega Fono Mini A2D and I want to add it to this purely digital setup somehow without spending a large sum.

What would you guys do? Is it worth it?

I'm not sure how to proceed here and not sure if I can do something without degrading the analog signal significantly.

Thanks in advance

I run my TT through a USB ADC to a PC then use Foobar2000 to play it like all my digital sources using the "recorder" plug in for Foobar. It works great and there is no sound degradation.... just lots of added flexibility and of course the ability to make "needle drops".

In your case it seems like you could just plug the Fono Mini A2D into the USB input on your pre-amp and be good. Might be missing something as I have never tried it.

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
@levimax thing is usb in the dac is used by the PC.

The thing I want is a permanent not constantly changing cable option, the option Ltig mentions is great, but I need to use my computer to play the TT, so I am still open to ideas although not sure if there are many.

levimax

Major Contributor
The "Puffin Phono Pre-amp" is available with optical or coax output.... it would work and has a ton of features but is a little expensive and duplicates your Phono mini A2D in many ways http://parksaudiollc.com/ . Is your A2D stand alone or built it? If stand alone you could probably sell it and put the money toward the Puffin.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
@levimax both the Fono and the RME are USB devices - neither is a USB host - so you can't just connect them like that.

@ezra_s If you're using LMS on the Pi you should be able to use the WaveInput plugin with the Fono

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
@levimax both the Fono and the RME are USB devices - neither is a USB host - so you can't just connect them like that.

@ezra_s If you're using LMS on the Pi you should be able to use the WaveInput plugin with the Fono

Great catch too, I will definetly try this, that way I don't have to turn on the PC!

Seeing as I am go spend as little as possible right now I will try the cable route first, The puffin and the art usb phono plus seem like interesting devices but maybe for other time.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I have a couple of things I can try.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just add a Little Bear MC2 between the RME / Phono pre-amp and Amp.
There is a switch to choose between the two inputs (RME on XLR, phono pre-amp on RCA for instance) and a volume knob.
35$

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Reactions: EJ3

Willem

Major Contributor
I use a Project Ephono box optical (if I remember the name correctly). It is a phono preamp with adc and optical output.

TimW

Major Contributor
I also have a Pro-Ject Optical Box E Phono and I think it works well.

You could also just get an inexpensive ADC with SPDIF output. Sure makes a decent looking one and while performance probably isn't excellent, it's probably good enough for Vinyl.

Top Bottom