• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What IEMs do you own?

Merkurio

Can you please share the filter you used for that? It is really annoying indeed, i thought i was the only one.

Sure, this is the full preset I developed and used (taking the oratory's preset as startpoint):

IMG_8DFEB91E0BFD-1.jpeg

The problematic region was around 6 kHz in my case (your ear resonance points may vary) and I was using the stock medium Sprint Tips provided by Moondrop.

Reactions: MCH

sq225917

Major Contributor
@Fregly anything above 5k is subject to measurement error. I just sat in my hifi room playing a mixed bag through my system and the same files through fiio m15 and fh9 and adjusted peq in Neutron until they sounded most alike.

LearningToSmile

I don't have that much experience because these days I don't have much opportunity to use IEMs and prefer headphones and speakers, but I had a few.

I started with a pair of Final Audio E3000, they're what got me in this whole audiophile mess. Still remember them fondly, though I probably would hear some issues if I heard them today, looking at the graph. Unfortunately they broke pretty fast, I think due to attached cable getting worn down. Very comfortable due to the small size and light weight.
Then I bought Moondrop Spaceship. Worst piece of crap I've ever used. Inserted normally the sound was awful, very hard to get a seal, and I had to push them super deep into my ear to get acceptable sound. Because they're very small and slick you basically have to hold it by the cable while pushing it into your ear, and the cable started breaking with a month of use. I hated them so much I didn't even bother getting them replaced.
Then I bought my current pair, Tin Audio T4. I really, really like them, particularly the treble presentation sounds great to me. For listening at home I don't feel the need to upgrade at all. The two downsides are the bass is too light for listening on the go(wasn't much of an issue because I work from home now and don't commute anymore) and they're not the most comfortable, the sharp edges become pain spots after listening for more than an hour or two, but I don't really use them that long.

Now I'm looking for a cheap pair with a bit more bass for on the go listening. I tried Blon BL-03 but unfortunately the pair I bought was defective(one side playing 50% quieter) and I had to return them. What I heard from the side that worked fine was good, and I might re-buy them, but I'd rather try something new.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am interested in Westone IEMs.

According to the measurement of an UM Pro 10 by oratory1990, there is a deep and wide dip in the treble.
Have you felt that when using your Pro X10?

That's definitely there. I prefer something closer to the Etymotic target than Harman, but either way they still need a ton of EQ. I use them because they are very comfortable, isolate well, and I can EQ them from all my sources.

The X10 is a little brighter than the UM10 because the new super thin cable is higher resistance and the driver's impedance rises with frequency but it's only a couple dB or so an not enough to obviate the need for EQ.

If you can't EQ them, then I wouldn't recommend them. If you can, then the comfort and isolation may be worth the relatively high price. They are small with a medium insertion depth so they will probably have a more consistian fit across different people.

sushi2020

That's definitely there. I prefer something closer to the Etymotic target than Harman, but either way they still need a ton of EQ. I use them because they are very comfortable, isolate well, and I can EQ them from all my sources.

The X10 is a little brighter than the UM10 because the new super thin cable is higher resistance and the driver's impedance rises with frequency but it's only a couple dB or so an not enough to obviate the need for EQ.

If you can't EQ them, then I wouldn't recommend them. If you can, then the comfort and isolation may be worth the relatively high price. They are small with a medium insertion depth so they will probably have a more consistian fit across different people.
Thanks.

I have tried the UM10 before and was amazed at how light and comfortable it was.
My concern was the wide dip that seemed difficult to improve even with EQ.
(I didn't know about EQ then.)

It is a little disappointing that the X10 also has such a dip.
However, the comfort is certainly worth it and I consider purchasing one.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a little disappointing that the X10 also has such a dip.
However, the comfort is certainly worth it and I consider purchasing one.

If you do get an X10 and like the Harman curve, start with Oratory's UM10 settings but turn the high shelves down a couple dB.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What's the common conclusion about IE900? I've heard it several times lately and to me they are one of the best I've tried but I am aware that the upper octaves might not suit some people, and I also don't know how well it is doing in comparison with what other "objective" metrics we use.

D00M

My list including both IEM and TWS. From my most to least preferred:
  1. Tin HiFi T3 Plus. My most recent acquisition. Most fun to listen to. Has good bass boost that does not bleed too much into mids. Good details and instrument separation. Good soundstage. At least for IEM in this price range.
  2. Apple Airpods Pro. Neutral, slight mid-focus. Treble is a bit weak. It actually has good soundstage, considering it is not open/airy. I mainly use this for phone calls.
  3. Shure SE420. This is 15 years old. Mid-focused. Vocals are front and center. No detail; highs are lacking. And zero sound stage; all sound sources are from my head.
  4. Samsung Galaxy Buds+. Supposed to follow Harman target. But bass is not that good. Thin; shouty. It has soundstage, but not good as it is recessed. I mainly use this for phone calls.

Last edited:

BumblingAudioPhool

1. Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered. It doesn't match the Harman Curve, but I do like the sound. The comfort of CIEMs is also hard to beat. Used these for many years while I had a desk in an active aircraft hangar where loud tools were frequently used.
2. Shure SE215. I had these before the UERRs. I really like them. They were a go-to recommendation for me 5 or so years ago. I have no idea what to recommend now.

Trell

Major Contributor
I do have a few IEMs that was included when buying a mobile phone, or at least used to. Does that count? ;)

I use those in an emergency as I really don’t like to wear IEMs. Speakers and then over ear head phones is my preference.

xnor

My experience with cheap in ears were always the same: uncomfortable and couldn't stand the static pressure.

When I saw the Moondrop Chu's a while ago, I decided to get them and give in-ears another go, because they were cheap and measurements and construction looked ok (no nasty peaks or extreme dips, no static pressure).
EQ'd for my ears (against some of the coupler to average Harman target presets floating around), I quite enjoy them.

Aynsley

• Etymōtic ER2XR
  • Etymōtic ER4XR
  • KZ ZEX Pro
  • Moondrop CHU
  • Letshuoer S12
I'm aware of the KZ ZEX Pro controversy, but my pair sounded great out of the box, sounded great during the media storm, and still sound great today. What I love most about them is the fit. The small wing slips smoothly into my concha, centering the IEM and eliminating the need for ear-tugging to seat the tips.

tdockweiler

I don't think i've used any IEMs since 2009 or so until the most recent 6 months.
The Final Audio E500 reviews and low price convinced me to buy it.
Didn't like it at first until I found the perfect size tips (that's when the bass showed up).

I also just bought the Moondrop Chu about 3 months ago. Seems perfect to me with the spring tips.

I really only bought these two for exercise and walking. I've found that the Chu blocks enough noise out somehow for lawn mowing.

I wonder what you all use for that if actually actually have to do that? :)
My go to cheap option is the Anker Soundcore Q20, but that's a full size headphone but super cheap. Too bassy though.

One of my all time favorite IEMs was the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi-10. These days it's probably not worth the $300 for it's sound, but I loved it.
I used it with the Comply foam inserts. Some say it destroys the sound but I can't agree.

I wish they had a near exact clone of the Triple Fi 10. I guess it's more of a V-shaped signature.

I doubt anyone knows, but is there a Comply foam that works with the Chu? I prefer foam tips to anything else just due to it's comfort.

poeb

• 7Hz Salnotes Zero
  • Moondrop Chu
  • CCA CRA
  • KZ ZEX Pro
  • Truthear Zero
  • Moondrop Kato
  • 7Hz Timeless
  • Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk
  • Moondrop Variations
  • Sennheiser IE600
  • Apple Airpods Pro
Thats my current collection. I am going to sell a few of them later this year. I just like testing and trying different sound signatures at different price ranges.

My current favourite is the Sennheiser IE600 followed by Variations or Blessing 2 Dusk, then Truthear Zero and CCA ZEX Pro (despite the whole KZ issue). I also like the 7Hz Zero, Chu and CRA where 7Hz Zero is the preferred ~20USD IEM, but I am going to give those away to some family members. Timeless and Kato are great IEMS, but they kinda fall in between great budget IEMS and the B2D. I would rather spend 50USD on Truthear or save up to 330USD for B2D than go for a those.
The Airpods Pro are for in-ear ANC.

Last edited:
OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think i've used any IEMs since 2009 or so until the most recent 6 months.
The Final Audio E500 reviews and low price convinced me to buy it.
Didn't like it at first until I found the perfect size tips (that's when the bass showed up).

I also just bought the Moondrop Chu about 3 months ago. Seems perfect to me with the spring tips.

I really only bought these two for exercise and walking. I've found that the Chu blocks enough noise out somehow for lawn mowing.

I wonder what you all use for that if actually actually have to do that? :)
My go to cheap option is the Anker Soundcore Q20, but that's a full size headphone but super cheap. Too bassy though.

One of my all time favorite IEMs was the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi-10. These days it's probably not worth the $300 for it's sound, but I loved it.
I used it with the Comply foam inserts. Some say it destroys the sound but I can't agree.

I wish they had a near exact clone of the Triple Fi 10. I guess it's more of a V-shaped signature.

I doubt anyone knows, but is there a Comply foam that works with the Chu? I prefer foam tips to anything else just due to it's comfort.
I had (and broke) some TF10- they were good to my ears at that time coming from some older Shure units. Probably wouldnt like now but sadly cant compare.

Fregly

• 7Hz Salnotes Zero
  • Moondrop Chu
  • CCA CRA
  • KZ ZEX Pro
  • Truthear Zero
  • Moondrop Kato
  • 7Hz Timeless
  • Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk
  • Moondrop Variations
  • Sennheiser IE600
  • Apple Airpods Pro
Thats my current collection. I am going to sell a few of them later this year. I just like testing and trying different sound signatures at different price ranges.

My current favourite is the Sennheiser IE600 followed by Variations or Blessing 2 Dusk, then Truthear Zero and CCA ZEX Pro (despite the whole KZ issue). I also like the 7Hz Zero, Chu and CRA where 7Hz Zero is the preferred ~20USD IEM, but I am going to give those away to some family members. Timeless and Kato are great IEMS, but they kinda fall in between great budget IEMS and the B2D. I would rather spend 50USD on Truthear or save up to 330USD for B2D than go for a those.
The Airpods Pro are for in-ear ANC.
How do you find the Dusk and Variations compared to the Truthear? Nice collection.

poeb

How do you find the Dusk and Variations compared to the Truthear? Nice collection.
I find them a step up in tonality for what sounds neutral for me. I like the bass shelf on the Variations more, while the B2D has a better mid bass. The Zero has a slight dip in the 125-200hz frequency range. Also find that the Variations and B2D resolves better in the treble region (maybe described as better technicality?) The Zero sounds great for 50USD and is what I've told my friends to check out if they want to spend under 100USD.

Top Bottom