• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What IEMs do you own?

I started with an Audeze LCDi3, pretty high end but needs EQ mandatory and no isolation so my usage was very limited, sold it recently.

Then came a Moondrop Aria, which was very good and got me into the rabbit hole of Chi-Fi (China Hi-Fi, literally, no implied meanings here). For them came a Chu and while good I decided to upgrade from both.

The Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk came as my main IEM and I loooooove them. The entry level end was upgraded to a 7Hz Salnotes Zero, which is better than the Chu, and I sold both the Aria and the Chu.

I still have a curiosity on how the Thieaudio Monarch Mk 2 would sound, and be my main IEM. But this market is crazy fast and every year the best values on each price range are completely different, so I wonder how long the Monarch will be there until a Mk 3 comes out, or another brand replaces it for half the price or whatever, so I am hesitant to spend that much (1k usd)... Much safer on the mid to entry levels.
There is no point in chasing the best. I've owned too expensive IEM's that are not worth it, imho you can stay below 100$ nowadays and get very decent IEMs

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no point in chasing the best. I've owned too expensive IEM's that are not worth it, imho you can stay below 100$ nowadays and get very decent IEMs
Probably true, but I am afraid this might be one of those facts in life that is best understood through first hand experience.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
How would you describe the KXXX IEM? Is it a Drop exclusive?
As I indicated in my initial list. It’s currently my favorite IEM. Best Bass, accepts generous EQ across the frequency range without distortion setting in. Well made and solid feeling. While not heavy. Smaller footprint and narrower ear tube for super comfortable feel. Has the most pleasing sound overall to me.

I do use a Qudelix 5K Amp/DAC dongle with all of the IEM’s. So my observations are based on PEQ being applied as I don’t listen to their stock sound. I apply a V shaped EQ profile in most cases. I am very much a Basshead and an IEM must be able to produce solid bass under EQ without distortion to get my approval. The Salnotes with the 5k cranking up the 32/64/128 hZ range is a super sleeper and value product. On sale for $20.99 on Amazon is a buy now recommendation. Very comfortable daily driver. Here’s a link for the Salnotes: Amazon Salnotes IEM

I can’t seem to find the Moondrop KXXX for sale anywhere. And that’s a shame because it’s a stellar performer. I paid $152.00 for them via Massdrop. They do have a signup page for them and I guess if they get enough requests they may make more in the future. Here’s a link in case you’re interested:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can’t seem to find the Moondrop KXXX for sale anywhere.
I believe the Moondrop Kato is supposed to be the successor to KXXX.

1679919176139.png

markanini

Major Contributor
I can’t seem to find the Moondrop KXXX for sale anywhere. And that’s a shame because it’s a stellar performer. I paid $152.00 for them via Massdrop. They do have a signup page for them and I guess if they get enough requests they may make more in the future. Here’s a link in case you’re interested:
Aria and Truthear Hola seem like the same tuning dialect.
1679919379336.png

EDIT: BTW from experience graphs lining up doesn't necessarily sound the same. Just a place to start looking for an alternative in production.

Last edited:

AdamG

Forum Donor

AdamG

Forum Donor
View attachment 275166
I prefer to look at the distortion graph. Stock sound is a nice reference. But the distortion graph will kind of help predict how the units will hold up to EQ. Especially in the Bass region.

Honken

As I indicated in my initial list. It’s currently my favorite IEM. Best Bass, accepts generous EQ across the frequency range without distortion setting in. Well made and solid feeling. While not heavy. Smaller footprint and narrower ear tube for super comfortable feel. Has the most pleasing sound overall to me.

I do use a Qudelix 5K Amp/DAC dongle with all of the IEM’s. So my observations are based on PEQ being applied as I don’t listen to their stock sound. I apply a V shaped EQ profile in most cases. I am very much a Basshead and an IEM must be able to produce solid bass under EQ without distortion to get my approval. The Salnotes with the 5k cranking up the 32/64/128 hZ range is a super sleeper and value product. On sale for $20.99 on Amazon is a buy now recommendation. Very comfortable daily driver. Here’s a link for the Salnotes: Amazon Salnotes IEM
The KXXX sounds like a solid IEM indeed, I too find comfort better with smaller IEMs - but I only really notice it when I compare them directly, going from one IEM to another. What I do find to stand out more easily is how often I have to readjust the IEMs in my ears. I don't find the large TCZ isn't uncomfortable to wear, but I subconsciously readjust them in the ear constantly when weaing them.

I too use PEQ for everything, EQAPO in my case. I've adjusted my IEMs to all follow the same'ish bass tilted Harman 2019 curve. Don't hear any of mine misbehaving in the low bass, even when boosted quite a bit with EQ. They all share the same farting sound around 10Hz, but I am not sure if it is really possible to produce deep infrasonics with IEMs to begin with. The ones I have start to behave well from around 15Hz and up.

I believe the Moondrop Kato is supposed to be the successor to KXXX.
The Kato looks similiar physically as well! Nice catch, the Kato is available on Amazon as well, but costs around $200 here.

I do find it rather mindblowing that different IEMs can measure so similiarly. Same thing with the Moondrop Lan vs. Salnotes Zero.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer to look at the distortion graph. Stock sound is a nice reference. But the distortion graph will kind of help predict how the units will hold up to EQ. Especially in the Bass region.
Moondrop claims it to be less than 0.1% below 500Hz. Graph does not have the % sign bu the text that follows clarifies. No idea at what SPL though.

I hate to be the one to come between a man and his purchase, but if you have KXXX, do you really want to spill $190 on Kato? On the other side of the arguement, blue looks really nice :)

1679920075597.png

AdamG

Forum Donor
I hate to be the one to come between a man and his purchase, but if you have KXXX, do you really want to spill $190 on Kato?
If you force me to rationalize my purchase decisions. I surrender and….

1679920715505.gif

markanini

Major Contributor
No one I know has comparable graphs for all models, but sharing a 1DD design similar performance can be expected, lower distortion levels than sets using BA and planar tech.

Trell

Major Contributor
I do have a few IEMs that was included when buying a mobile phone, or at least used to. Does that count? ;)

I use those in an emergency as I really don’t like to wear IEMs. Speakers and then over ear head phones is my preference.
I recently bought the TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM, and they are nice but a bit bassy for my taste. They are the best IEMs I’ve owned, though, and not that expensive.

Still not a fan of IEMs but these have some isolation that can be useful on occasion.

markanini

Major Contributor
I do find it rather mindblowing that different IEMs can measure so similiarly. Same thing with the Moondrop Lan vs. Salnotes Zero.
The important part to me is Moondrop to be honest. Other brands I tried don't have the same polish, tuning included. It might have to do with the IEMs being assembled from in house components. Other brands use very generic looking tips so it possible that internals have similar genericness.

TimW

Major Contributor
I record and mix music for friends and I have always used IEMs for tracking. Since getting the Truthear Zero I have also been doing my mixing on those since I trust their tuning. I would always tell the band members to go home and listen to the mix on multiple systems before giving me feedback. Usually they would just listen in their car or with some very colored headphones and come back with completely contradictory opinions. This time around, since great IEMs are so cheap now, I decided to make every band member get a pair of 7hz Salnotes Zero. Now we can all relatively hear the same things in the mix and it has been much easier to agree. This is especially nice when making group mixing decisions while listening since we can all listen at the same time. No more shuffling around the sweet spot of a near field monitor system or listening to a harsh PA system.

Recently I picked up a pair of the Truthear Hola while they were on sale for $16. I thought maybe they would work for an even cheaper option when I record the next band. Not sure how I feel about them yet, at first I thought they sounded very different than the zeros. Then I had a long listening session with them a day ago and thought they were very relaxing and easy to listen to while still presenting good detail. Will need to do more listening to make a decision on them but I don't think I will recommend them for the band since they don't come in multiple color options.

Honken

The important part to me is Moondrop to be honest. Other brands I tried don't have the same polish, tuning included. It might have to do with the IEMs being assembled from in house components. Other brands use very generic looking tips so it possible that internals have similar genericness.
Maybe, but Moondrop don't always include nice tips, for example the Lan I am using now came with some very generic tips that didn't feel too good. Very weird, since the cheaper Chu comes with their spring tips. Speaking of which, I just received my pair. The packaging for the Chu, while simple, is quite nice for a $20 set, nicer than that of the 7Hz Salnotes Zero and Truthear Hola for sure. As for the tuning I quite like them after dropping the pinna gain at around 4k with a wide peaking filter. So that's two out of two from Moondrop that I quite like. Unfortunately, the cable on the Chu seems almost intentionally brittle by design.

Anyway, got the spring tips from the Chu and yeah, those feel great. Very soft and seal very easily. Definitely my new favorite tips. The nozzle is the widest I've seen on a tip.

markanini

Major Contributor
Maybe, but Moondrop don't always include nice tips, for example the Lan I am using now came with some very generic tips that didn't feel too good. Very weird, since the cheaper Chu comes with their spring tips. Speaking of which, I just received my pair. The packaging for the Chu, while simple, is quite nice for a $20 set, nicer than that of the 7Hz Salnotes Zero and Truthear Hola for sure. As for the tuning I quite like them after dropping the pinna gain at around 4k with a wide peaking filter. So that's two out of two from Moondrop that I quite like. Unfortunately, the cable on the Chu seems almost intentionally brittle by design.

Anyway, got the spring tips from the Chu and yeah, those feel great. Very soft and seal very easily. Definitely my new favorite tips. The nozzle is the widest I've seen on a tip.
Yeah, basically what I'm arguing, good median quality. Accessories don't have to be amazing, just good enough and familiar to the tuning engineers helps trump the competition.

Thanks for the Lan update, I will be ordering it soon very soon.

Honken

Yeah, I'll try the new Blessing once it releases I think. Definitely costlier than the Lan and Chu by a fair margin. But hardly a megabucks IEM.

As for the Lan, yeah if you like the 7Hz Salnotes Zero it is essentially just a nicer version of that. When I switch between the two as fast as I can (which isn't very fast), and with the correct EQ for both, I don't hear much of a difference at all, perhaps a little bit more sparkle in the high treble frequencies with the Lan. As for fit, if you own the Chu it is essentially the same shape as that, but with more normal ear hooks.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I record and mix music for friends and I have always used IEMs for tracking. Since getting the Truthear Zero I have also been doing my mixing on those since I trust their tuning. I would always tell the band members to go home and listen to the mix on multiple systems before giving me feedback. Usually they would just listen in their car or with some very colored headphones and come back with completely contradictory opinions. This time around, since great IEMs are so cheap now, I decided to make every band member get a pair of 7hz Salnotes Zero. Now we can all relatively hear the same things in the mix and it has been much easier to agree. This is especially nice when making group mixing decisions while listening since we can all listen at the same time. No more shuffling around the sweet spot of a near field monitor system or listening to a harsh PA system.
This is brilliant, congrats on the idea!

Top Bottom