• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What IEMs do you consider significantly better than the beloved Truthear Zero IEMs?

FINFET

Forum Donor
I'm quite new to IEMs and like some of you I begin my journey from truthear zero, 70 dollar IEMs that I really like. I was just wondering where to go next. As I find using IEMs can be very convenient in work and life so I've decided to increase my number of IEMs within reach. I bought some Chinese brand IEMs but I can't get much difference from my zeros with EQ.

By "go next" I mean to buy a new pair of IEMs, which can be "significantly better" than Truthear Zero. I'd go with a quite wide budget of less than 2000 USD/EUR. I'd really love to know if I can get some real improvements from other brands. If it's just a little bit better or just going different in the preference of measured FR like the new Chinese IEMs I bought after the zero then I'll not bother, better to EQ my existed IEMs instead for free then. Thank you!

MCH

Major Contributor
I don't know if better, but different, and in your price range, you have a few ethymotic models.

Justin Zazzi

I don't know if better, but different, and in your price range, you have a few ethymotic models.
+1 for etymotic.

I have the more expensive ER-4 but I hear the more afforable models are pretty good. The part that sold me was ability to have them custom molded to my ears for a perfect (and super comfortable) fit that can be worn for a long time.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
IEMs are 99% their frequency response to be honest.
I'd actually say 49% fit and comfort, 49% FR and 2% anything else.

@FINFET , having gone down the rabbit hole myself I would say don't bother if the Zero are comfortable for you.

The best iem I have are the Moondrop s8 but that's mostly because of comfort which for my ears are perfect but maybe not yours.

OP
F

FINFET

Forum Donor
having gone down the rabbit hole myself I would say don't bother if the Zero are comfortable for you.

The best iem I have are the Moondrop s8 but that's mostly because of comfort which for my ears are perfect but maybe not yours.
I find the wearing OK for me not super comfortable of course but the bodies are light enough so I gradually get used to them on my ears. The original cable caused a lot of fatigue so I changed them. The Moondrop stellaris I got after on the other hand are much heavier thus less comfortable. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at the S8 as well.

oleg87

For my tonal taste, which may not be your taste, Ety ER2XR and Moondrop Aria are more pleasant to listen to in the same rough price range. I wouldn't consider either of them flawless by any means though. Past that, the next meaningful step up I've heard is something like the Blessing2 Dusk (I assume the non-Dusk is also fine but I like my IEMs to have bass).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find the wearing OK for me not super comfortable of course but the bodies are light enough so I gradually get used to them on my ears. The original cable caused a lot of fatigue so I changed them. The Moondrop stellaris I got after on the other hand are much heavier thus less comfortable. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at the S8 as well.
Oh. and FYI the Blessing 2 (or B2Dusk) are almost identical shape to the S8- per @oleg87 above- and the B2 Dusk do sound good- though after EQ I wouldnt suggest majorly different to the Zero.

GaryH

Major Contributor
I'm quite new to IEMs and like some of you I begin my journey from truthear zero, 70 dollar IEMs that I really like. I was just wondering where to go next. As I find using IEMs can be very convenient in work and life so I've decided to increase my number of IEMs within reach. I bought some Chinese brand IEMs but I can't get much difference from my zeros with EQ.

By "go next" I mean to buy a new pair of IEMs, which can be "significantly better" than Truthear Zero. I'd go with a quite wide budget of less than 2000 USD/EUR. I'd really love to know if I can get some real improvements from other brands. If it's just a little bit better or just going different in the preference of measured FR like the new Chinese IEMs I bought after the zero then I'll not bother, better to EQ my existed IEMs instead for free then. Thank you!
Sony MH755/MH750/MH1. See here for my thoughts on them compared to the Truthear Zero.

asrUser

Can't really answer as we don't know what tonal balance you prefer. But of course there are a lot of better IEMs than the Zero and more expensive as well. You could try Truthear Hexa to get a different flavour. Moondrop Variations should be better but I haven't tried them. Zero got 2 DDs each earpiece. What happens with 3 DDs? A lot more fun which you could get with Penon Serial.

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Having bought a couple of IEMs, I learned that not only do I not like Harman Target, but I also do not like IEMs that go above the line of the IEF Neutral Target which already has less energy than Harman in the 3khz region. Here they are compared:

1670353301261.png

Obviously I use a bass boost with the IEF neutral target (more on that here https://crinacle.com/2021/06/04/the-tonal-technical-dichotomy-the-ief-evaluation-system/).

If you look at crinacle's page, it is not easy to find IEMs that stay below his target - even the ones tuned by him often go a bit over. I am very sensitive to energy in the 3khz region and I do not like it when it's too hot there.

So ended up with the https://www.linsoul.com/products/xenns-mangird-tea2 XENNS Mangird Tea2. They are a bit of a niche product, and I'm not sure that the 7 drivers it has really offers anything beside bragging rights, but they sound just wonderful to me.

graph (20).png

If we compare them to the Zeros with the IEF Neutral Target as reference, you can see they just touch the curve from below while the Zeroes are over. In bass both are more or less the same, although the Tea2s have more subbass and probably sound a bit warmer due to the energy around 200hz.

They were absolutely worth the money for me because I don't need to EQ them. Sometimes I do but it's a subtle correction and depending on the material I might or might not prefer them with EQ.

Code:
Preamp: -1.6 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 27 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 1.03
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 160 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 1.08
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 491 Hz Gain -0.2 dB Q 1.43
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1469 Hz Gain -3.8 dB Q 1.59
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2845 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 1.55

You can see it's even boosting 2.8Khz by 2dB :D

I also own the Samsung Galaxy Buds2, I payed 80€ for them and woudn't you have guessed I like them as well:
graph (21).png

And you can see why :D

But comparing these two in terms of resolution and detail, they're just worlds apart despite looking quite close to each other for much of the graph. So going back to your original question, just because the frequency response looks the same, does not make them sound the same.

So in conclusion I think you should find the tuning you like first and then go from there. If you like how the Zeroes sound, Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk and the THIEAUDIO Legacy 4 should be on your shortlist.

Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

As some have already said, the way they fit your ear is critical. To the point where an IEM that does not fit your ear just won't be any good for you, which is a big risk if you can't try it first (70 dollars is a risk I can live with). I am fortunate that the Truthear's fit me well and sound excellent. You are well into the zone of diminishing returns trying to top them.

markanini

Major Contributor
Having bought a couple of IEMs, I learned that not only do I not like Harman Target, but I also do not like IEMs that go above the line of the IEF Neutral Target which already has less energy than Harman in the 3khz region. Here they are compared:

View attachment 248242

Obviously I use a bass boost with the IEF neutral target (more on that here https://crinacle.com/2021/06/04/the-tonal-technical-dichotomy-the-ief-evaluation-system/).

If you look at crinacle's page, it is not easy to find IEMs that stay below his target - even the ones tuned by him often go a bit over. I am very sensitive to energy in the 3khz region and I do not like it when it's too hot there.

So ended up with the https://www.linsoul.com/products/xenns-mangird-tea2 XENNS Mangird Tea2. They are a bit of a niche product, and I'm not sure that the 7 drivers it has really offers anything beside bragging rights, but they sound just wonderful to me.

View attachment 248243

If we compare them to the Zeros with the IEF Neutral Target as reference, you can see they just touch the curve from below while the Zeroes are over. In bass both are more or less the same, although the Tea2s have more subbass and probably sound a bit warmer due to the energy around 200hz.

They were absolutely worth the money for me because I don't need to EQ them. Sometimes I do but it's a subtle correction and depending on the material I might or might not prefer them with EQ.

Code:
Preamp: -1.6 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 27 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 1.03
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 160 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 1.08
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 491 Hz Gain -0.2 dB Q 1.43
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1469 Hz Gain -3.8 dB Q 1.59
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2845 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 1.55

You can see it's even boosting 2.8Khz by 2dB :D

I also own the Samsung Galaxy Buds2, I payed 80€ for them and woudn't you have guessed I like them as well:
View attachment 248244

And you can see why :D

But comparing these two in terms of resolution and detail, they're just worlds apart despite looking quite close to each other for much of the graph. So going back to your original question, just because the frequency response looks the same, does not make them sound the same.

So in conclusion I think you should find the tuning you like first and then go from there. If you like how the Zeroes sound, Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk and the THIEAUDIO Legacy 4 should be on your shortlist.
Fun fact, Samsung is owned by Harman.

markanini

Major Contributor

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning

You can honestly spend 10-100 times as much as you did on the Truthears and not get better performance.

But if you just want to play around with something different, Moondrop has a number of very good IEMs that measure well.

Honestly, though, if you like the Truthears, why blow a bunch of money on something that costs way more but isn't actually meaningfully better? But a couple extra Truthears, stick them in a drawer for when your original pair die, have $1800 left over to spend in more productive ways.

Top Bottom