• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Hifi BS

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Didn’t Noam Chomsky state that 75% of the population are sheep?
Keith

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow. Becky, their "newest staff writer", really dishes out the BS, mostly without even a hint of scientific basis provided. Lots of "trust us, we hear it". Wondering how many of their editors/reviewers she speaks for, but most of these are just ridiculous.

I do agree with a couple of the "tips"- listening in the dark (or dim) can enhance your listening focus. It's been proven that limiting some senses can enhance others. Also, she correctly points out how some AV amps testing results are presented under different parameters, and should be scrutinized.

My favorite, though - and one I have not heard before - is that stopping cd playback and pressing play again sounds better than pausing and un-pausing. Her reasoning? "Because, dear readers, we can assure you they do."

I used to give some respect to this website/magazine. Although mostly subjectivist, they seemed to be a callback to the old days of professional reviewers giving their experienced opinions based on somewhat fair and controlled conditions. With the publication of this article, I may need to rethink my opinion.

Last edited:

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I seem to remember a study undertaken within the past ten years which found that twenty five percent of the individuals polled believed it is the sun which revolves around the earth.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I see, listening at night is better because my mains supply is polluted. Makes sense. Better go out and spend $10,000 on power conditioning immediately.

And I just thought it was because the city is quieter at night...

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Oh, I see, listening at night is better because my mains supply is polluted. Makes sense. Better go out and spend $10,000 on power conditioning immediately.

And I just thought it was because the city is quieter at night...

It's because electrosmog is thickest during the day. And on even-numbered Thursdays.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
aren't they now owned by the same co. as TAS??

I'll bet that "Becky" is a young writer, excited to have her first real job...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Malarky de jour... The only thing I find that makes the music sound better and more involving is a good bowl of Canadian weed. >@^_*@<

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if she was on cloud9 during the time she was writing her article

Wombat

Master Contributor
They couldn't even get their name correct. Try "Which" HiFi.
Don't%20tell%20anyone.gif

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Definitely listen in the dark. If that's not enough have a few drinks or get high.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can indeed say hello to darkness, as it's your old friend when listenin'

it does help shut off visual cues to unit A vs. unit B for an A/B, and can also help you focus on the music

Robin L

Master Contributor
Malarky de jour... The only thing I find that makes the music sound better and more involving is a good bowl of Canadian weed. >@^_*@<
What do you have against the USA?

Top Bottom