• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Solaris 2020

20210729_123952.jpg

FTB

Hello there,

Thanks for the reviews here, I find it very useful and realistic as it is no-smoothed curves. I choosed the AKG K371 for that, which I'm happy with, and I already possessed a Senn HD58x.
I don't know if it had been already mentionned in this 26 pages topic but what about measuring the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6xx ?
I am pretty curious how it measures in the bass (lower or higher than the HD58x ?) as it is said it sounds like a HD650 (so lower bass than the HD58x) but I found a measurement on SuperBestAudioFriends showing the same bass extension on HD58x/HD6xx.

Have a nice day

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello there,

Thanks for the reviews here, I find it very useful and realistic as it is no-smoothed curves. I choosed the AKG K371 for that, which I'm happy with, and I already possessed a Senn HD58x.
I don't know if it had been already mentionned in this 26 pages topic but what about measuring the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6xx ?
I am pretty curious how it measures in the bass (lower or higher than the HD58x ?) as it is said it sounds like a HD650 (so lower bass than the HD58x) but I found a measurement on SuperBestAudioFriends showing the same bass extension on HD58x/HD6xx.

Have a nice day
It's generally accepted knowledge that the HD6XX is identical to the HD650 (according to measurements done by Oratory & other people), and Amir's already measured the HD650. So you can always look at the HD650 review if you wonder what the HD6XX is like.

FTB

Hey,

I mostly read that too but there is two contradictory measurements, the one from RTings showing the HD6xx with a better bass extension than HD650 and this one from SBAF :

HD58X r2 compared to HD6XX.png

red/green is left/right of HD58x and yellow is HD6xx (thread is here https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...op-hd58x-revised-review-and-measurements.6530 )

That's the only two which don't go in the way HD6xx=HD650 so I guess the better is to follow subjective impressions of people who listened to HD6xx and HD650.

kiwifi

Philips SHP9500

jae

Major Contributor
Hey,

I mostly read that too but there is two contradictory measurements, the one from RTings showing the HD6xx with a better bass extension than HD650 and this one from SBAF :

View attachment 146643
red/green is left/right of HD58x and yellow is HD6xx (thread is here https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...op-hd58x-revised-review-and-measurements.6530 )

That's the only two which don't go in the way HD6xx=HD650 so I guess the better is to follow subjective impressions of people who listened to HD6xx and HD650.

I doubt most people are testing brand new stock 650 with fresh pads with a brand new 6XX. I would think any variation is due to pad differences with use, fitting/seal discrepancies and natural unit/revision variation that would be found when comparing identical headphones made on a different line or a different time. Some of these comparison graphs are so close within error that I refuse to believe there are significant differences unless these people are test multiple units of the same headphone model in a uniform and controlled way.

FTB

Ok, thank you.
I was happy with the HD58x because good bass extension for an open headphones, but it's a bit too veiled now I'm used to the K371.

As HD6xx seems to have no better treble extension and less bass, I'm waiting for a Philips X2HR, 50 Hz - 10 Khz, wondering if the 5K peak will be too much.
I already tried the Senn HD560S, interesting headphones as it is very linear, good extension in both sides, no veiled sound, but the 4K peak is way too hot without EQ (I don't like EQ, I prefer headphones sounding naturally good).

The K371 is good but there still is this upper-mids dip with lack of soundstage details...

Ah, only compromises...

Thanks !

phoenixsong

Unreleased/Need Info: Geek GK100, KBear Aurora, Moondrop E-Stat & Kato, Simphinio RX10, Symphonium Helios, Whizzer HE03AL
Wireless: AKG N400, Samsung Galaxy Buds+, Lypertek Tevi, Moondrop Sparks
(<$20): Moondrop Quarks, Sony MH755, Tanchjim Tanya
(~$100): Fiio FD3/Pro, GS Audio GD3B (use wide bore tips), iBasso IT01X (radius deep mount tips?), Tforce Yuan Li
(~$200): Aune Jasper, JVC FDX1, Sony XBA N3, Tanchjim Hana 2021, Thieaudio Legacy 4, YanYin Aladdin
(~$600): Acoustune HS1650, Dunu SA6 & Zen Pro, Fearless S8Pro & Z, Moondrop Variations, Oriolus Isabellae, Shanling ME700 Lite, Softears RSV, Thieaudio Oracle & Monarch, XENNS UP
(~$1000): Fearless Crinacle Dawn, Hidition Waltz, Hyla TE-5B & CE-5, Nostalgia Benbulbin
($$$$+): Elysian Annihilator & X, QDC 8SL & Gemini & Anole V14
A64 Model 3??

I know there are some really good ones in the $600 segment, but personally I'm more interested in the $100 range right now, maybe stretching to the $200 mark if there are marked improvements in performance. As of now I'm happy using my Aria with a filter mod and BGVP A07 tips; soundstage is oftentimes out of my head, hard to ask for more in a budget IEM :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These just popped up on my radar (because I like open-back) and have some measurement claims.
Apos Caspian Measurements: We Put Our First Headphone to the Test
Those dips don't look good :oops:
That measurement was done on miniDSP EARS which is not a very well regarded headphone measurement device, and it's not compatible with the Harman Curve Target that we know on this site, so the measurement will look different when done on that rig.....so I don't think we can draw many conclusions from that frequency response measurement, apart from maybe the bass is well extended and the channel matching is excellent. I mean I'd quite like to see it measured here on this site, there's a couple of positive traits there.

FTB

Hey,

Next to my previous posts about Senn HD58x and HD6xx, if this can help I received a HD6xx and made a direct comparison, both well driven by a FX-Audio X6 mkII using a TPA6120 (enough power for the 300 ohms of 6xx).

The HD6xx hasn't, in fact, the same bass extension as the HD58x. Clearer upper trebles but it's a bit fatiguing as there is less lows.
The HD58x is more veiled in trebles but much more involving with the good lows, good impact and less fatiguing as generally warmer.
I'm not a basshead but I need enough bass to be involved in the listening.

I don't trust the RTings measurements showing a similar bass extension for 58x and 6xx, it's obvious when listening.

I had a HD650 a few years back, it was driven by a SMSL amp with TPA6120 too, I sold it due to lack of bass, as the HD6xx. To me these two headphones are the same indeed, I don't think measurements showing differences are correct.

The AKG K371 as a closed back is very complementary to the HD58x : pleasant sub-bass extension, better trebles extension around 10K I think, but the 4K dip is audible, voices sound a bit hollow on the contrary of the 58x with fuller voices. Still very good headphones.

I tried the Philips X2HR, the 5K peak is too audible with sibilances and tiring sound.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey,

Next to my previous posts about Senn HD58x and HD6xx, if this can help I received a HD6xx and made a direct comparison, both well driven by a FX-Audio X6 mkII using a TPA6120 (enough power for the 300 ohms of 6xx).

The HD6xx hasn't, in fact, the same bass extension as the HD58x. Clearer upper trebles but it's a bit fatiguing as there is less lows.
The HD58x is more veiled in trebles but much more involving with the good lows, good impact and less fatiguing as generally warmer.
I'm not a basshead but I need enough bass to be involved in the listening.

I don't trust the RTings measurements showing a similar bass extension for 58x and 6xx, it's obvious when listening.

I had a HD650 a few years back, it was driven by a SMSL amp with TPA6120 too, I sold it due to lack of bass, as the HD6xx. To me these two headphones are the same indeed, I don't think measurements showing differences are correct.

The AKG K371 as a closed back is very complementary to the HD58x : pleasant sub-bass extension, better trebles extension around 10K I think, but the 4K dip is audible, voices sound a bit hollow on the contrary of the 58x with fuller voices. Still very good headphones.

I tried the Philips X2HR, the 5K peak is too audible with sibilances and tiring sound.
Man, I don't why you're juggling the 58x, 6xx and 650, they're all so similar.....I think you could save yourself the hassle and just stay with one of those & EQ it, then explore other headphones, I don't think you have anything to learn comparing the HD580, and HD600 lineups, they're all so similar with practically identical physical designs to the earcups/pads, etc. They're all gonna be interchangeable with EQ: HD580, HD58X, HD600, HD650 (and the HD6XX is exactly the same as HD650 in frequency response). Explore some new ones

FTB

Yes, the HD6xx and 650 are to me similar, 58x is not in anyway the same headphones. Same sound family but way more impact in bass (listen to a bass drum) by several decibels, warmer in mids and treble, easier to drive, listenable on computer and phone without an amp.
It's curiosity, no headphones sound the same even in the same lineup. I don't like to EQ, I want headphones sounding naturally good even there is no perfect headphones, and the HD58x is the best compromise here to my ears.
I tried the HD560S which have this typical Sennheiser conception but sounds different than the previous named by a far margin.

I don't think any headphones sound the same.
In low cost family I used both Senn PX100-ii and Porta Pro which use the same drivers, not the same sound at all.
I explore, in the same marketing lineup too.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the HD6xx and 650 are to me similar, 58x is not in anyway the same headphones. Same sound family but way more impact in bass (listen to a bass drum) by several decibels, warmer in mids and treble, easier to drive, listenable on computer and phone without an amp.
It's curiosity, no headphones sound the same even in the same lineup. I don't like to EQ, I want headphones sounding naturally good even there is no perfect headphones, and the HD58x is the best compromise here to my ears.
I tried the HD560S which have this typical Sennheiser conception but sounds different than the previous named by a far margin.

I don't think any headphones sound the same.
In low cost family I used both Senn PX100-ii and Porta Pro which use the same drivers, not the same sound at all.
I explore, in the same marketing lineup too.
Ah, ok, if you're not gonna EQ then there are differences (apart from no differences between HD6XX and HD650). You're missing out by not using EQ though, unless you buy the latest $4000 Dan Clark Stealth! :D https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...alth-review-state-of-the-art-headphone.25920/
Because even for example the K371 / HD560s / HD600 which all track quite closely to Harman can be improved with EQ.

FTB

I like to keep it simple because on the go there is not always an EQ. The HD58x is usable on phone although it lacks a bit of volume + I have no EQ on this device apart a graphic one (I use Poweramp app).
Sometimes I use Equalizer APO on the computer, it sounds good about frequency response but I lack litterature on how EQ could affect negatively the sound (phase issue for example, IDK ? and amplifier efforts with positive gain) Will check that.

I'm about to build my next loudspeakers, I try to choose the best drivers available to my needs and make very good boxes instead of correcting flaws with EQ. But for sure the room acoustic flaws need EQ, that's a tricky subject.
I'll get the phono turntable out of his box too and I don't want to put one more gear in my system to EQ.
I knew a french audiophile who got an ADC to his phono path with an integrated EQ then DAC. Far way too complicated to my taste with double conversion and I don't get the point to listen to LP with an ADC somewhere.

So I tend to like simple things :) the HD58x is not perfect but the most enjoyable out of the box I listened to.
I liked the Nad HP50 with bluetack to get a proper seal between the colored earcup and the black earcup : the seal isn't good otherwise and a proper seal elevates sub-bass. Very enjoyable headphones but the 100-300 Hz bump was too audible in long-term listening.

The Dan Clark Stealth measurements look impressive but 4K $ headphones are not for everyone.
The Senn HE1 looks like the perfect headphones but I can buy three times my piano with that money :D

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to keep it simple because on the go there is not always an EQ. The HD58x is usable on phone although it lacks a bit of volume + I have no EQ on this device apart a graphic one (I use Poweramp app).
Sometimes I use Equalizer APO on the computer, it sounds good about frequency response but I lack litterature on how EQ could affect negatively the sound (phase issue for example, IDK ? and amplifier efforts with positive gain) Will check that.

I'm about to build my next loudspeakers, I try to choose the best drivers available to my needs and make very good boxes instead of correcting flaws with EQ. But for sure the room acoustic flaws need EQ, that's a tricky subject.
I'll get the phono turntable out of his box too and I don't want to put one more gear in my system to EQ.
I knew a french audiophile who got an ADC to his phono path with an integrated EQ then DAC. Far way too complicated to my taste with double conversion and I don't get the point to listen to LP with an ADC somewhere.

So I tend to like simple things :) the HD58x is not perfect but the most enjoyable out of the box I listened to.
I liked the Nad HP50 with bluetack to get a proper seal between the colored earcup and the black earcup : the seal isn't good otherwise and a proper seal elevates sub-bass. Very enjoyable headphones but the 100-300 Hz bump was too audible in long-term listening.

The Dan Clark Stealth measurements look impressive but 4K $ headphones are not for everyone.
The Senn HE1 looks like the perfect headphones but I can buy three times my piano with that money :D
As you wish, but it looks like you're getting things out of perspective, especially if you're talking about listening to LP's / phono.....there are bigger problems associated with that than any imagined possible negative effects of EQ, but that's a different topic, so we shouldn't digress too far.....afterall this is a "what headphones would you like Amir to measure next" thread. Sorry for the diversion.

Last edited:

phoenixsong

As you wish, but it looks like you're getting things out of perspective, especially if you're talking about listening to LP's / phono.....there are bigger problems associated with that than any imagined possible negative effects of EQ, but that's a different topic, so we shouldn't digress too far.....afterall this is a "what headphones would you like Amir to measure next" thread. Sorry for the diversion.
I doubt he/she is listening to LP "on the go" as they stated. This thread is about headphones after all

Top Bottom