• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I thought the M50 were just weird sounding, and could not understand why they got recommended. I actually wondered if mine were defective.
My other brother got $25 USB gaming headset that I actually thought sounded better. For the M50, it’s not like Beats where bass gives an impressive experience, the M50 just sounds weird.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Akg K371 and Philips Fidelio X2HR. It appears both are already in Amir's cue. After 36 hours with the AKG 'phones, particularly interest in that pair.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Shure SHR1540 would be nice, it's the only model I'm considering to replace my Beyer DT250 on the go. Unless someone knows another light closed headphone with textile earpads and a decent impedance?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just as a quick mention, I've just done an EQ to the Harman Curve based on Crinicle's measurement of the K702 and it sounds terrible....muddy bass and in fact muddiness throughout frequency range in terms of lack of clarity & definition, also removal of spatial/imaging cues. I think there's something up with the measurement or his particular GRAS setup is not compatible with the current Harman Curve 2018 that we all know (we were discussing this point), his setup might need a new Target Curve or there is something wrong with the measurement or in his "recording chain". Following is the EQ I did using Crinicle's measurement, but I don't suggest anyone try the EQ because it didn't sound good, but this is more for curiosity or discussion purposes:
View attachment 90637

Yep, I'd like to see Amir measure the K702, as long as his gear is compatible with the published Headphone Harman Curve, which I'm sure he has said it is in recent headphone reviews.
My rig is compatible with Harman AE/OE 2018. I believe Harman switched to the "Hi-Res" couplers for that target.

A few explanations for the reason why the EQ may not have worked well for your particular set of headphones:
  • Unit variation. Always a thing, you never know how your set could differ from the one I measured unless both have been measured.
  • Pad wear, more significant than you may think.
  • Possible measurement error (unlikely since I got the same results effectively 6 times, 3 per channel)
  • You may not like the Harman Target (if you're describing muddiness, maybe decrease the bass boost or set the shelf to rise at 150Hz rather than 200Hz or something)
Hi, just as an update, I bought another set of K702's and this EQ sounds fine with the new pads on the K702.....I also had brain burn in from a previous EQ of my K702 which I don't think was particularly accurate, so I just want to remove any fears over the Crinacle measurement.

Nichdroid

Takstar Pro 82. Those are quite cheap and can be found around 40-50€ here in Europe. (or imported from Aliexpress;)) Also they are quite well acclaimed though.
I got mine for 45€ from Amazon and would like to see how they measure on Amir's G.R.A.S.

Also I'd like to see measured Mr. Speakers Ether CX from Drop...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, just as an update, I bought another set of K702's and this EQ sounds fine with the new pads on the K702.....I also had brain burn in from a previous EQ of my K702 which I don't think was particularly accurate, so I just want to remove any fears over the Crinacle measurement.
Interesting. So you reckon old pads were the difference?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. So you reckon old pads were the difference?
I tried the same EQ on my old K702 with old pads and it was indeed duller in overall sound, it was a relatively small difference but noticeable.....I think it was largely brain burn-in I had from my previous EQ that was using Innerfidelity measurements with a "Calibrated" Harman Target Curve, that and also probably a bad decision to boost what was probably a 1kHz dip which was probably a measurement anomaly.

spanayotov

AirPods Max
AirPods, AirPods Pro when in ears testing becomes possible
Bose QC35 II, Bose 700, Sony XMs, various Beats phones. It would be interesting to see how the big sellers compare to "audiophile" headphones, both from established manufactures and boutique ones. I have a feeling that some Bose or Beats might give high end headphones a run for their money.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

blse59

I'd like to see the famous, infamous, polarizing, hated, loved, the one and only M50x. I see this in use a lot by professional musicians. You can see it in their videos and such.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Audio-Technica%20ATH-M50x.png

M50x - thick light-blue line is Harman target reference, thin blue line is M50x after applying proper EQ
(Source: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...Technica ATH-M50x/Audio-Technica ATH-M50x.png)

Beyerdynamic%20DT880%20Black%20Edition.png

DT880 - thick light-blue line is Harman target reference, thin blue line is DT880 after applying proper EQ
(Source: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au... Edition/Beyerdynamic DT880 Black Edition.png)

After looking to several measurements done by Oratory I still find the DT880 being about perfect matching Harman target curve, of course, after EQ'ing.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, not exactly...
But it would be interesting, indeed.

It is quite neutral IMO. With respect to bass it beats the HD600/650 with margin.

image.png

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry.
I read your message too quickly.
I never listened to the DT150, but I've been using DT100.

Ok. The DT150 using the DT100 pads are very different headphones compared to the DT100.

thomz6

is there a list somewhere to see the next reviews coming ? im curious ^^ very enthousiast to see the DT 990 review

Top Bottom