• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I don't think we have this thread yet. Please delete if we do..

Drop HiFiman HE5XX

https://drop.com/buy/drop-hifiman-he5xx

Measurements of the HifiMan HE5XX show less bass than the $60 cheaper HE4XX:

qwX5yqVoSwiJbxzLI8SI_2.jpg

So I'd say the HE4XX is the better buy and would benefit more users with detailed measurements including distortion etc. Oh by the way, from other measurements I've seen it's likely the HE5XX is just a Drop-branded HifiMan Deva (wired version).

Last edited:
OP
Cahudson42

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I'd say the HE4XX is the better buy and would benefit more users with detailed measurements including distortion etc.
Sounds good...So, might we all benefit/learn if 'all' the HFM $200 or so were comparably measured?
HE5XX
HE4XX
HE400i 2020
Deva (wired)
Sundara (yes, it's $349. But sure would be interesting to 'see what you get' vs. the others..)

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Sounds good...So, might we all benefit/learn if 'all' the HFM $200 or so were comparably measured?
HE5XX
HE4XX
HE400i 2020
Deva (wired)
Sundara (yes, it's $349. But sure would be interesting to 'see what you get' vs. the others..)

Yes that would be very interesting. I have my suspicions that all of those have similar performing drivers and the main differentiator of their frequency response is down to their differing pads (swapping pads between them and remeasuring would determine this). For example, here I've overlaid measurements of the Deva (orange curve) and the Sundara (thin green curve):

7661ea4d1ff6cf321c81c87a134a0c60f9d86900.jpeg

These are very similar frequency responses, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the Sundara and Deva pads are very similar, both using the same materials on the same surfaces. The only difference being the Deva pad’s slightly oval shaped inner ring that is not perforated like the Sundara’s, which could at least partially explain the minimal differences seen in the frequency responses above. If any of this could be confirmed it would give consumers a potentially cheaper way of achieving a desired frequency response - just buy the cheapest HifiMan planar (the HE4XX) and buy and swap in another model's pads separately to upgrade the sound (if it indeed turns out this would be an upgrade).

Last edited:

Thalis

Would love to see the AKG K240 MkIIs reviewed with generic velour pads. I don't see much love for it in the internet as most always want the vintage ones.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AKG K702, because it's cheap and has excellent soundstage & imaging and to such a degree that it is the only headphone that sounds like speakers rather than headphones to me, with EQ you can turn it into a real beast. I like it better than my HD600 and NAD HP50. K702 is also a popular headphone, so there should be some good interest in the review as well as a lot of value for the creation of EQ's from the measurement, as it is a headphone that has not been measured by Oratory. I think K702 is a real gem once EQ'd, and given my experience with a few headphones I think it would be very hard to beat....it's a poor man's HD800s in my opinion whilst probably starting off with a better stock frequency response than the HD800s is my guess from measurements I've seen of the HD800s.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurements of the HifiMan HE5XX show less bass than the $60 cheaper HE4XX:

qwX5yqVoSwiJbxzLI8SI_2.jpg

So I'd say the HE4XX is the better buy and would benefit more users with detailed measurements including distortion etc. Oh by the way, from other measurements I've seen it's likely the HE5XX is just a Drop-branded HifiMan Deva (wired version).
Believe so too. 18ohm as well, which might make it "interesting" with some amps. Not necessarily in a good way.

Reactions: PSO

bobbooo

Major Contributor
AKG K702, because it's cheap and has excellent soundstage & imaging and to such a degree that it is the only headphone that sounds like speakers rather than headphones to me, with EQ you can turn it into a real beast. I like it better than my HD600 and NAD HP50. K702 is also a popular headphone, so there should be some good interest in the review as well as a lot of value for the creation of EQ's from the measurement, as it is a headphone that has not been measured by Oratory. I think K702 is a real gem once EQ'd, and given my experience with a few headphones I think it would be very hard to beat....it's a poor man's HD800s in my opinion whilst probably starting off with a better stock frequency response than the HD800s is my guess from measurements I've seen of the HD800s.

Crinacle has measured the K702 by the way (comparable GRAS 43AG rig to Oratory's):

K702.jpg

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Crinacle has measured the K702 by the way (comparable GRAS 43AG rig to Oratory's):

K702.jpg
Is it exactly the same rig as Oratory's then, and therefore I'm thinking also the same one that Amir did his measurements most recently on for his latest reviews on here? (I'm not sure what you mean by "comparable")

And also I couldn't find his K702 in Jaakopasenen's database:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...lts/crinacle/gras_43ag-7_harman_over-ear_2018
Do you know where I can find the link to the Crincale K702 measurement?

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Is it exactly the same rig as Oratory's then, and therefore I'm thinking also the same one that Amir did his measurements most recently on for his latest reviews on here? (I'm not sure what you mean by "comparable")

And also I couldn't find his K702 in Jaakopasenen's database:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...lts/crinacle/gras_43ag-7_harman_over-ear_2018
Do you know where I can find the link to the Crincale K702 measurement?

It's not exactly the same rig, but very similar. Oratory uses the Gras RA0045 coupler with the 43AG whereas Crinacle (and Amir I believe) use Gras's 'high frequency' coupler. Measured frequency response seems to differ slightly between these two couplers. The Harman target was developed using the RA0045 coupler, so measurements using this would be more likely to get you closer to the target using EQ. However, when I asked Oratory about this he said:
This will have very little effect on the results below 10 kHz. Much lower influence than seating variation or unit variation.

Harman specifies that the target is only researched below 10 kHz, so this shouldn't affect results too much. You can expect the ear canal resonance at 8 kHz to be slightly lower.

Crinacle's K702 measurements are from his website: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/akg-k702/

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not exactly the same rig, but very similar. Oratory uses the Gras RA0045 coupler with the 43AG whereas Crinacle (and Amir I believe) use Gras's 'high frequency' coupler. Measured frequency response seems to differ slightly between these two couplers. The Harman target was developed using the RA0045 coupler, so measurements using this would be more likely to get you closer to the target using EQ. However, when I asked Oratory about this he said:

Crinacle's K702 measurements are from his website: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/akg-k702/
Thanks, I found his graphing tool & rejigged it to look like more like the responses I know.
K702 Crinicle.png

Would I use VirtuixCAD to scan the picture to turn it into data, I've heard about it but never used it?
It's not far off from the EQ I'm using, but there are some differences.
EDIT: I downloaded graphs of the left & right channel in two seperate graphs without the Harman Curve pictured so I guess they'll be more easily 'scannable', I believe I'd be able to use those to "scan" to turn into numbers, but never used VirtuixCAD before. Think I can, will have to install the software & have a play, I believe it's gonna be the "SPL Trace" function (
). Actually this looks pretty simple now I've watched that vid.

Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Thanks, I found his graphing tool & rejigged it to look like more like the responses I know.
View attachment 90242
Would I use VirtuixCAD to scan the picture to turn it into data, I've heard about it but never used it?
It's not far off from the EQ I'm using, but there are some differences.
EDIT: I downloaded graphs of the left & right channel in two seperate graphs without the Harman Curve pictured so I guess they'll be more easily 'scannable', I believe I'd be able to use those to "scan" to turn into numbers, but never used VirtuixCAD before.

I don't have experience with that software, but it looks like it might do what you want.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But yeah, it would still be cool if Amir measured the AKG K702! (To get back on topic, sorry for the brief tangent re Crinicle measurements & VirtuixCAD software).

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The JH Audio Lola, which I have, and would lend.

(Hybrid but with the mids as the dynamic drivers... Picked up after a trip where I compared it to the flagships from UE, Westone, 64 Audio, and Shure. Listened to the Shure Electrostat later which I think I like better for vocals, and nothing from Campfire really stood out as an improvement. I wish Etymotic would make a multi-armature IEM. The XR series is probably what I'd aim for if I did it again, though I swear there is something that sounds different with multiple drivers, and I don't want to call it soundstage because I swear soundstage on an earphone is like arguing about 1% of a soundstage vs 3% of a soundstage.)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The JH Audio Lola, which I have, and would lend.

(Hybrid but with the mids as the dynamic drivers... Picked up after a trip where I compared it to the flagships from UE, Westone, 64 Audio, and Shure. Listened to the Shure Electrostat later which I think I like better for vocals, and nothing from Campfire really stood out as an improvement. I wish Etymotic would make a multi-armature IEM. The XR series is probably what I'd aim for if I did it again, though I swear there is something that sounds different with multiple drivers, and I don't want to call it soundstage because I swear soundstage on an earphone is like arguing about 1% of a soundstage vs 3% of a soundstage.)

I'm not sure if he is venturing into IEM. Yet.

Top Bottom