• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
deva_pro-800_800-2_1.jpg

Maybe a little odd. But, there aren't many open Bluetooth headphones out there. The HiFiMan Deva Pro.

threni

Major Contributor
I don't think Amir cares about this thread so i'd say don't waste your time here lol
"Which headphones would you like someone else to buy and then mail to Amir for you?"

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about the Drop Panda, I don't know that much about it, but came across a discussion about it over on Oratory's reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/ukw7sp/_/i8flz0i Might be worth checking it out using the "SoundID firmware" which I think is some "included EQ" - in quotes because I don't know the specifics of it's implementation.
It seems that they've done their own research into what a good target curve is, and it's supposedly good research according to Oratory, although I don't know the details of it.....and apparently it's similar to Harman Curve, but not quite the same, might be an interesting headphone to review. Also the following details about the headphone:
Might be worth reviewing on the proviso that it's measured using the SoundID firmware EQ solution........and could be measured without the EQ too.

EDIT: DOH, it's already been measured here on ASR:
But might be interesting to re-review it using the "SoundID firmware" which is the built in EQ solution they offer....

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How about the Drop Panda, I don't know that much about it, but came across a discussion about it over on Oratory's reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/ukw7sp/_/i8flz0i Might be worth checking it out using the "SoundID firmware" which I think is some "included EQ" - in quotes because I don't know the specifics of it's implementation.
It seems that they've done their own research into what a good target curve is, and it's supposedly good research according to Oratory, although I don't know the details of it.....and apparently it's similar to Harman Curve, but not quite the same, might be an interesting headphone to review. Also the following details about the headphone:
Might be worth reviewing on the proviso that it's measured using the SoundID firmware EQ solution........and could be measured without the EQ too.

EDIT: DOH, it's already been measured here on ASR:
But might be interesting to re-review it using the "SoundID firmware" which is the built in EQ solution they offer....
I might be wrong but I suspect the Panda need to be wireless to run the EQ solution. And Amir does not tend to measure wireless. And I doubt he will revisit something he considered to be a stinker even if he could easily get hold of a unit.

Anecdotally, I recall something of a hoo-hah about these- something of a failed experiment for Drop. Cant recall why though.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I might be wrong but I suspect the Panda need to be wireless to run the EQ solution. And Amir does not tend to measure wireless. And I doubt he will revisit something he considered to be a stinker even if he could easily get hold of a unit.

Anecdotally, I recall something of a hoo-hah about these- something of a failed experiment for Drop. Cant recall why though.
I doubt he'll measure them again for the same reason you mention (and he may not have the headphone still), but I'd like to see the effect of the bundled EQ solution they provide - especially as Oratory was saying it was "valid" research and a similar but not same as the Harman Curve.

Bleib

Major Contributor
HIFIMAN HE-R7DX Closed-Back Headphones

Hifiman Edition XS

Robin L

Master Contributor
Sennheiser HD 579---a tonally balanced pair that focuses on clarity in the midrange: the business end of the musical deal, focusing on what is most important as regards music. Not exactly what I would call flattering but also fading a bit in the upper octaves. As the upper octaves usually present the most distortion, a mild reduction in the top octaves helps get around what would be the nastiest sounding part of historic recordings. I listen to a lot of old recordings, things like early Billie Holiday; they sound best via the HD 579 'phones out of all of my (four or five) pairs of headphones*. The lower octaves are just fine if the usual PEQ for open back Sennheisers---HD 650s/Drop 6XX requires a similar parametric EQ---a slight (-2db) reduction centered around 170hz, a boost ramping up starting around 50hz that goes up +10db towards 20hz, then a cutoff below 20hz, adjust upper octaves to taste. With these headphones, I don't adjust anything above 1khz:

*not counting a mess of IEMs I won't use again.

DSCF5954.JPG

Last edited:

itz_all_about_the_music

As i've never sent in any of my own equipment for a review, I'm very tempted to send my late '70's Yamaha Orthodynamic HP-1. But, as there so few remaining in-use, and Amir's time is finite, perhaps vintage unavailable stuff should remain untested.
Plan B would be the new(er) Yamaha YH-L700A.

tknx

Neumann NDH 30

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
VZR Model One, it's not released yet, but apparently will be soon. A user over in the DCA Stealth thread pointed them out to me, I did some googling on the technology and created a little post describing what seemed interesting about them at the following link:
Essentially they seem to be wanting to try to "solve" or improve the chronic headphone problem of headphones sounding like headphones rather than speakers, in terms of soundstage/spatial cues, it seems to use an acoustic lens (a moulded/shaped insert in front of the driver to redirect the sound waves to hit different parts of the ear in a bid to more closely mimic the spatial soundstage of a stereo speaker system). As soundstage is an important variable in the enjoyment of a headphone (in my own experience & others) then a review on this headphone (when it comes out) could be quite exciting potentially......although I'm not in a position to say how likely it is or not that they have achieved their aims, we can't know until it's measured & reviewed.

LuminousMoth

The LCD's X and 24, Koss 95x, and a HD-800s sent and reviewed.
Hi, I saw you own both the HD-800s and the LCD-X and 24. I currently have the hd800s and I am looking for a headphone with better Sub bass performance (Distortion wise). I am on the fence deciding whether to go for the X or the 24, is it worth the price increase in your opinion or you regretted buying the 24?

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, I saw you own both the HD-800s and the LCD-X and 24. I currently have the hd800s and I am looking for a headphone with better Sub bass performance (Distortion wise). I am on the fence deciding whether to go for the X or the 24, is it worth the price increase in your opinion or you regretted buying the 24?

The bass quality on my LCD-X and even my LCD-2 closed, simply astonishing. I’ve had numerous Hifiman, Focal and Sennheiser, its not close, but needs EQ. I cannot speak on the 24 though.

Last edited:

LuminousMoth

The bass quality on my LCD-X and even my LCD-2 closed, simply astonishing. I’ve had numerous Hifiman, Focal and Sennheiser, its not close, but needs EQ.
I don't mind EQ, I do it either way on my hd800s. Glad to hear they perform, I've actually listened to LCD-X but it was less than ideal conditions and I couldn't EQ it, so the bass was very faint. Is there any significant difference between the X and the 2 in the bass?

Top Bottom