• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

faheem

Forum Donor
The Susvara is the most obvious missing headphone at the moment. Hopefully someone sends theirs in soon.

RHO

Major Contributor
Not headphones, but... Ferrum Erco DAC/Amp. Not a lot of chatter about this one, and I think it's worth a look.
At that price and limited feature list it can never be compete with products we already know from objective reviews (at much lower prices).
At that price I would at least expect integrated DSP and an ADC input.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At that price and limited feature list it can never be compete with products we already know from objective reviews (at much lower prices).
At that price I would at least expect integrated DSP and an ADC input.
J*sus, I hadn't seen the price, that's mad - 2395 Euro, it is a snake oil product then!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One headphone that looks pretty promising as well as very good price is Drop Hifiman HE-X4:
The measurements there show it to have a smooth frequency response and lower distortion than the HE4XX, whilst only being $99 currently. It's normally $129, but now it's only $99.

Blorg

Edition XS, I'd be interested to see how it stacks up vs the Ananda. Subjectively, it has a lot of similarity, and the same cups, etc. but on the other hand different headband affects fit quite significantly and the actual drivers seem to be quite different, with much lower sensitivity. Quoted numbers are 92dB vs 103dB, which are probably wrong but for sure relatively the Edition XS requires a much higher volume level for equivalent output.

MalinYamato

Audeze LCD-5 -- this one is very hot and I am prob going to get one!

Last edited:

tknx

Lol. I am waiting for Audeze to fix their manufacturing before even thinking about an LCD-5. The fact that parts are ungluing themselves the way they are is a bit concerning.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Edition XS, I'd be interested to see how it stacks up vs the Ananda. Subjectively, it has a lot of similarity, and the same cups, etc. but on the other hand different headband affects fit quite significantly and the actual drivers seem to be quite different, with much lower sensitivity. Quoted numbers are 92dB vs 103dB, which are probably wrong but for sure relatively the Edition XS requires a much higher volume level for equivalent output.
Yeah i'm very curious how it will perform in Amir's bench. Maybe they addressed some of the issues of Ananda. Headband is one of them. HE400 Stealth and Arya Stealth reception was very positive.
@amirm improved the dac amp market now maybe his work will help headphones too.

buscon

@amirm I saw in an old post of yours that you bought a Beyerdynamic DT 240 pro. did you have an opinion about it? would you like to review it sometimes?​

[I do not understand why the text is bold and big, it was not my intention.]

F

freemansteve

I'd like to know if this lot (ex AKG?) produce any good headphones:

I have their basic Hi-X15, and while the are very nicely made, and far and away the comfiest phones I have ever used, they are, for me, only really OK for TV, as they seem a bit too bright for music. Good value for what they do though, and not disturbing my wife!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Audeze's LCD-5 and CRBN. I've auditioned both but bought neither - waiting for Amir's review before acting.
I wouldn't hold your breath for any one particular item to be reviewed here. Its a healthy flow of reviews but you could be waiting years to see either of these nevermind both of them.

srsxmi

Forum Donor
I wouldn't hold your breath for any one particular item to be reviewed here. Its a healthy flow of reviews but you could be waiting years to see either of these nevermind both of them.

:) Having submitted (more at surrendered) 4 hp's to ASR review process previously, I am painfully aware of the (variable) timeframes. From that experience I do appreciate your comment.

The 4 hp's were ones I owned - the value I gained from the interviews made me rethink spending money w/out fully understanding what I was buying, so now I wait.

Since I've already auditioned both HP's I have my own opinions and a few facts.

ngs428

Hifiman Edition XS ?

Yes, please.

We do have reviews and measurements from headphones.com and rtings.com for the XS, but ASR would be great too. Hope Amir has them on his bench somewhere.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
:) Having submitted (more at surrendered) 4 hp's to ASR review process previously, I am painfully aware of the (variable) timeframes. From that experience I do appreciate your comment.

The 4 hp's were ones I owned - the value I gained from the interviews made me rethink spending money w/out fully understanding what I was buying, so now I wait.

Since I've already auditioned both HP's I have my own opinions and a few facts.
Ah, apologies you know the deal then. Just didn't want anyone waiting in vain. Side note, I'm assuming you know crinacle, oratory1990 and resolve all do comparable reports on frequency response, just not the rest of the measurements. Might help you rule either of your considered hp in or out.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sennheiser - HD25-C II​

A classic closed-back for on-the-field recorders.
Relatively cheap, robust and flexible, and quite sensitive (to allow proper monitoring with low power HP amp included in portable recorders).
Provides good isolation as well.

Also popular amongst DJs, it seems.
Probably for the same reasons.

Last edited:

srsxmi

Forum Donor
Ah, apologies you know the deal then. Just didn't want anyone waiting in vain. Side note, I'm assuming you know crinacle, oratory1990 and resolve all do comparable reports on frequency response, just not the rest of the measurements. Might help you rule either of your considered hp in or out.
Understood and appreciated.

Re; the frequency graphs, I was not aware, thank you, that's helpful.

Top Bottom