• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Headphones Do You Own Ready to Send to Amir for Testing at His Request

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, Here's a thread where you can post any headphones you own that you are willing to send to Amir if he wants to test them sometime. Posting them here doesn't necessarily mean you are recommending them for testing, just that you are making them available and are willing to ship them. I'll start:

Focal Clear
Koss PortaPro
Sennheiser HD6XX
Tin T3
Behringer HPS3000
Sennheiser GSP500
Audio Technica ATH-M50x

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Philips Fidelio X2HR.
I've got an easily removable mod installed. They're being discounted to $150 right now, as they have been superseded by the Fidelio X3.

m8o

Forum Donor
Here is what I have to offer:

HiFiMan HE-1000 v1 (can also provide the v2 pads, which unlike most I do not like as much as v1)

Audeze Mobius

MrSpeakers Ether Flow C with the latest tuning kit (very importantly) with flat pads and stock angled pads as well as ZMF pads I sometimes like more [!] :eek:

MrSpeakers Alpha (Sold to a friend but I can likely borrow it)

MrSpeakers MadDog 3.2, stock pads and I think maybe have the Alpha pads?

Fostex T50rp (stock & unmolested)

(Do you see a theme in the previous four?)

Sennheiser HD650, newer release purchased several years ago.

Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 (1st gen/drop) with numerous pad alternatives, natural and artificial material, and perforated or not, from several different manufacturers some made for them others that just fit and I think work better.

Massdrop AKG K7XX (also the 1st gen/drop)

Final Audio Sonoros VI, same as above in regards to numerous pad upgrades / options. This is an interesting duck in that it's a two-way hp w/a BA tweeter. Of all of mine, I'd love to get this one measured the most.

Meze Classics 99 (also sold to my friend but I'm sure I can borrow it)

Phonon SMB-02

Phonon 4000

(would love to see the above two phonons measured the 2nd most. Tyll's measurement of the SMB-02 had a super huge suck-out in the mid treble w/a big spike in distortion. And I just don't hear that. Would love to see if that is confirmed or disputed, chalked up to a bad sample.)

beyerdynamic T50p Tesla

beyerdynamic Lagoon ANC

Focal Spirit One

Yamaha Pro 500

Marshall Major

Koss PortaPro

SONY MDR-HW700DS 9.1ch Wireless Surround Sound Headphone System purchased from Japan

Now, for some serious OGs...

beyerdynamic DT-800, version from two decades ago. I believe the 250 ohm version.

AKG K340 Needs a pad upgrade and re-rubber banding the headband.

Audio Technica ATH-ESW9

AKG K501

AKG K240 Studio

BANG & OLUFSEN [B&O] Form 1

I missed it if mentioned. Can this rig do IEMS? I do not have anywhere near as many iems as others, but have a few to offer.

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
OK, Here's a thread where you can post any headphones you own that you are willing to send to Amir if he wants to test them sometime. Posting them here doesn't necessarily mean you are recommending them for testing, just that you are making them available and are willing to ship them. I'll start:

Focal Clear
Koss PortaPro
Sennheiser HD6XX
Tin T3
Behringer HPS3000
Sennheiser GSP500
Audio Technica ATH-M50x
Thinking about getting the focal clear,sell me on them

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose anything you would be willing to drop ship is also fair game, but should be qualified accordingly. I can offer to drop ship anything current Grado SR up to 325 and Beyerdynamic 990 or 1990 in any version too. Maybe Amiron or whatever open or semi-open if you want. Anything Koss under $200 too.

I am interested in high impedance Beyers.

Oh yeah... I am also super curious about HiFiMan Ananda, but need to wait a couple months for that... but will drop ship at some point if interested.

(Not the whole lines. Amir can pick one or two.)

Last edited:

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have an old pair of HD-650 from 2007-8, maybe compare to HD6XX?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD598 SE
Sennheiser HD 280 PRO which I actually do recommend for a sealed neutral headphone. No magic but articulate and listenable with pretty good isolation and build quality.

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thinking about getting the focal clear,sell me on them
OMG Focal Clear. Get them. I love them. To be fair, they are the most impressive piece of gear over many similarly priced purchases. They are just incredible in every way. The packaging is a presentation that beats a 5 star restaurant. The fit and finish is luxurious and superb, and the sound reproduction is surprising, outstanding, and excellent.

I heard new detail, I kept taking the headphones off to see if the sound was real... seriously. I am glad I was the only one in the house because I was taking off my headphones and looking for a bell or chime that only existed in the audio signal. I was just amazed at this, and still am.

Maybe this is because FR is exaggerated. where we hear best. If so, I like the effect. I went on to buy Focal Aria 948 speakers. I am happy with them, but am still most impressed and happy with the Clears.

I was planning on building a big headphone collection when I got the Clears, but basically lost interest in serious exploration once I heard these. I will try some other headphones, but I am no longer seeking the best sound. There is a good chance I have already found a favorite, and anything else is just dabbling.

They are a bargain a $1500 with the case and cables. included, but are often available at lower prices if you shop around. I got a good deal on mine.

Last edited:

brachypelma44

Philips Fidelio X2HR.
They're being discounted to $150 right now, as they have been superseded by the Fidelio X3.

Eh, I dunno about that part. Most reviews that I've watched/read about the X3 were quite critical of them/disappointed in them. I was of course interested in them, being an X2 owner, and hoped that the next version would be superior. Glad I researched a lot instead of buying them blindly.

It is nuts to me how quickly the X2/X2HR have dropped in price. The X2s were $300 when I bought them a few years ago!

m8o

Forum Donor
Okay, done editing my post #6. That's all I can remember. Minus my IEMs.

So what now? Do we need another / a separate thread where people make request of what they want to see measured? ;) Or do they vote / suggest / request here?

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Eh, I dunno about that part. Most reviews that I've watched/read about the X3 were quite critical of them/disappointed in them. I was of course interested in them, being an X2 owner, and hoped that the next version would be superior. Glad I researched a lot instead of buying them blindly.

It is nuts to me how quickly the X2/X2HR have dropped in price. The X2s were $300 when I bought them a few years ago!
The X2HR phones are now in the rear view mirror, as far as the folks at Philips are concerned.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
OMG Focal Clear. Get them. I love them. To be fair, they are the most impressive piece of gear over many similarly priced purchases. They are just incredible in every way. The packaging is a presentation that beats a 5 star restaurant. The fit and finish is luxurious and superb, and the sound reproduction is surprising, outstanding, and excellent.

I heard new detail, I kept taking the headphones off to see if the sound was real... seriously. I am glad I was the only one in the house because I was taking off my headphones and looking for a bell or chime that only existed in the audio signal. I was just amazed at this, and still am.

Maybe this is because FR is exaggerated. where we hear best. If so, I like the effect. I went on to buy Focal Aria 948 speakers. I am happy with them, but am still most impressed and happy with the Clears.

I was planning on building a big headphone collection when I got the Clears, but basically lost interest in serious exploration once I heard these. I will try some other headphones, but I am no longer seeking the best sound. There is a good chance I have already found a favorite, and anything else is just dabbling.

They are a bargain a $1500 with the case and cables. included, but are often available at lower prices if you shop around. I got a good deal on mine.
Waiting for a sale that's never going to happen, I've heard them and they sounded delicious,

Kind of waiting for a sale, that's never going to happen,l listened to them and they sound delicious, going to Audio 46 super headphone store in NYC and compare them to others

brachypelma44

The X2HR phones are now in the rear view mirror, as far as the folks at Philips are concerned.

Yeah. It's just odd to me how they changed the sound signature so much from the X1/X2/X2HR that people clearly liked. Then again, Coca-Cola controlled 85% of the soda market in the 1980s, and one day they randomly decided 'hey, let's change the taste! New Coke!'

m8o

Forum Donor
Waiting for a sale that's never going to happen, I've heard them and they sounded delicious,
You could always depend on them being offered at an attractive discount at the Focal listening station at CanJam events. But who knows when those can start up again; or if attending is a possibility for you.

Otoh, Audio46 is the best. The owner always offers me deep discounts. I say, go for it now if you want it.

Top Bottom