• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Headphones do not need (or scream for) EQ?

audioholic63

I expect this has been discussed or perhaps there is even a sticky but I cannot find it (or I'm not looking hard enough). It seems every headphone review comes with a certain amount of recommendations for EQ adjustments. Some are gentle corrections to yield closer conformity to the preference curve, some to attempt to correct gross deficiencies in frequency response.

My headphone listening is primarily at my desk so the discovery of EQ_APO/Peace has been a godsend. Strangely enough the only headphones I have that I generally find most listenable w/o EQ are a lowly set of Sennheiser PX100/ii. It's a shame they abandoned that product line.

Has there been a list compiled that ranks headphones in terms of EQ requirements? This would have to be based on measurements only I would think. EQ settings to account for personal preferences are of course completely subjective to the listener.

current stable, generally from Win10 pc==>AudioEngine D1 via USB==>Kenwood AVR (really old)==>Liquid Spark
  • AKG K240M (600 ohm)
  • AKG ATH-AD500x (current fav)
  • Koss PortaPro (varying levels of mods)
  • Koss KSC75x (varying levels of mods)
  • Grado SR80e (modded a bit)
  • Grado SR225x (stock but constant pad swaps)
  • Hifiman 400se
  • Sennheiser PX100/ii
  • Sennheiser/Drop HD6XX

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It really depends of your liking, fit, how loud you listen... But in the end end no as Harman or any other curve is just a paper dream and not a very good one (as it lacks certain aspects as equal loudness normalization among others).

OP
audioholic63

audioholic63

The ASR list of headphone reviews has a column for "Recommended (No EQ)". But Amir usually (always?) suggests some EQ for further improvement.
On that list the only thing I own are the HD-650 (for sake of argument they are the same as the HD6XX) and I find EQ essential for them. But this is the problem with headphones, the listening "room" is completely unique for every person.

DanTheMan

I have both those Sennheisers and I never feel the need to EQ them. They are all day listening type tools.

The Meze classics can do it to with the right pads. You have to look at Amir’s review to see which as I can’t remember the name. The 400SE sounds too thin to me on a lot of music out of the box. Still great though. Other Sennheiser from the HD500 series could also be on that list.

Zensō

Major Contributor

ADU

Major Contributor
On that list the only thing I own are the HD-650 (for sake of argument they are the same as the HD6XX) and I find EQ essential for them. But this is the problem with headphones, the listening "room" is completely unique for every person.

This may be true for IEMs, but it's not what the research suggests for over-ear headphones.

OP
audioholic63

audioholic63

This may be true for IEMs, but it's not what the research suggests for over-ear headphones.
Thinking less cranial and ear geometry than psycho-acoustic perception in that very personal listening space.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Dan Clark Aeon Noire seems to be the over-ear closest to Harman target except the Stealth at much lower price.
Oratory's measurement of Noire:
Aeon Noire Oratory measurement.png

Oratory's EQ settings: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yx9cqi00pfzbtox/Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire.pdf?dl=0

I've found Oratory1990's EQ settings to work well with all my headphones have always provided a subjective improvement in sound quality. My favorite so far is HD6xx - even though the EQ correction is significant for it.

Last edited:

radix

Major Contributor
I have the Noire, DT770, ATH-M70x, Sundara, HD-550, Bose QC35ii, and a couple others. Some of them I think "hey, this sounds pretty good" without EQ, but when I do the Harman EQ (maybe with a little bass extension), I think "Yeah, that does sound better." This is my personal subjective view.

The EQ does not need to be super exact. I've not intentionally done a blind EQ test, but in fact, I sometimes get my EQ buttons wrong and listen to one headphone with another's EQ, and still think it's better (wow that was a doozie of sentence). It's likely the bass extension and capping down some of the > 8kHz.

Bernd

Forum Donor
AKG 371 (amazing headphone for the price)
LCD X (I have the 2021 edition)

All the other I own or have owned required EQ (in the bass frequencies mostly)

Robin L

Master Contributor
Drop 6XX are great if you aren't addicted to deep bass. When I play most Classical stuff, Jazz & Pop, EQ is not needed. I can use a low-power DAP with them. I do use a little EQ when playing through the laptop>Topping E/L30 for deep bass, but it really isn't much of a "thing" with most source material. I always use the AKG 371 'phones for monitoring or when I want isolation, but prefer the sound of the Drop 'phones without EQ. However, I need closed-backed phones for monitoring, so they get used a lot anyway

Loomynarty

ATH-R70x, HD 600, HD 650

fricccolodics

Headphones closer to the target curve(be it @amirm or harman) will appeal to a majority of listeners (~2/3).
Since the rest is a non negligible quantity of 1/3, it all comes down to personal taste, whether YOU need eq or not.
If you are part of the majority, congratulation! The lists of amir or Pasaanen at github give you all you need.

blse59

I expect this has been discussed or perhaps there is even a sticky but I cannot find it (or I'm not looking hard enough). It seems every headphone review comes with a certain amount of recommendations for EQ adjustments. Some are gentle corrections to yield closer conformity to the preference curve, some to attempt to correct gross deficiencies in frequency response.

My headphone listening is primarily at my desk so the discovery of EQ_APO/Peace has been a godsend. Strangely enough the only headphones I have that I generally find most listenable w/o EQ are a lowly set of Sennheiser PX100/ii. It's a shame they abandoned that product line.

Has there been a list compiled that ranks headphones in terms of EQ requirements? This would have to be based on measurements only I would think. EQ settings to account for personal preferences are of course completely subjective to the listener.

current stable, generally from Win10 pc==>AudioEngine D1 via USB==>Kenwood AVR (really old)==>Liquid Spark
  • AKG K240M (600 ohm)
  • AKG ATH-AD500x (current fav)
  • Koss PortaPro (varying levels of mods)
  • Koss KSC75x (varying levels of mods)
  • Grado SR80e (modded a bit)
  • Grado SR225x (stock but constant pad swaps)
  • Hifiman 400se
  • Sennheiser PX100/ii
  • Sennheiser/Drop HD6XX
Sony MDR-7506. Widely used amongst pro audio/musician people and I doubt a single one of them EQs it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A lot of headphones exist that people really enjoy without any EQ.
MOST of them can be improved by using EQ but most owners do not know nor really care.
Only 'audiophile alike' people that care about sound quality do.
This can be had at several price points.

The real issue is that this might not be the same headphone for everyone.
Some like 'neutral' others like hyped bass, some older folks may like elevated upper treble while younger folks like it more subdued.
One can have a headphone that sounds and measures great but ruin it with poor seal.
Headphones intended for professional usage are more interested in 'tools' they can use.
For instance the just mentioned 7506 has a treble peak. It can highlight 'treble issues' in recordings with laser like precision.
Doesn't mean it is also good for enjoying music (some do, not me).

Top Bottom