• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Headphones do not need (or scream for) EQ?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Sony MDR-7506. Widely used amongst pro audio/musician people and I doubt a single one of them EQs it.
Very good for detecting hum and buzz, not so good for listening to music. One reason pro audio uses it is because the 7506 is essentially bulletproof, throw 'em in the bag and don't worry about them breaking. My understanding is that they are popular for monitoring dialog during recording/filming.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Only the MDR-CD900ST whosent bad and for those who like layed down presentation to which I usually refer as traditional Japanese.

ADU

Major Contributor
Thinking less cranial and ear geometry than psycho-acoustic perception in that very personal listening space.

I don't think I'm following the logic of this statement, audioholic63. Perhaps you could try to explain a little better what you mean by listening space in this context.

I generally use the term to refer to the different spaces in which people actually do their listening, such as a living room, a car, a pair of headphones, and so forth. And this would also implicitly include the acoustics in those spaces.

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
Strangely enough the only headphones I have that I generally find most listenable w/o EQ are a lowly set of Sennheiser PX100/ii. It's a shame they abandoned that product line.

I don't know if the plots on this graph are all completely up to date, but it shows the response of the Sennheiser PX100 ii compared to a few other headphones that some might consider to be fairly neutral. The PX100 is in red, and it is noticeably withdrawn in the treble and some parts of the upper-mids compared to the other headphones, except for the Apple APM in green, which is probably also a bit too withdrawn in the 6-7 kHz range where it dips down below the other curves. Just thought you might find this somewhat interesting, since the PX100 seems to be one of your benchmarks for a headphone that doesn't seem to need much EQ...

SENN PX100.jpg

The 2020 HFM Sundara in orange is also too flat in the lower frequencies compared to some of the others imo. The response in the sub-bass depends to some extent on the type of speaker you want to use as a model for the sound of your headphones though. Because some speakers (including most bookshelf models) are more rolled off there than the best-extended headphones.

Last edited:

Juanrdp

The only ones that i use normally without EQ are the Monolith 1060, i tried to get used to the Oratory EQ for some weeks but get back to stock sound with those.

F

freemansteve

Austrian Audio HiX15 budget phones really need EQ for music.
They are fine for TV dialogue though - and the comfiest phones ever.

Loathecliff

I blame 'Whathifi?', Whatcar?', Linn (always), & the mod(s).
At the risk of being labeled a 'Grammar Nazi', the thread title should be:-

Which Headphones do not need (or scream for) EQ?​

Yes indeed, why am I doing this?:rolleyes::facepalm:

F

freemansteve

I'm grateful not to have to witness "Headphone's do not...."

OP
audioholic63

audioholic63

I have come to completely reject the casual use of "Nazi" as a comparative for anything other than actual groups of people or governments engaging in racist and/or genocidal behaviors akin to the 3rd Reich. It devalues the horror of that period of modern civilization and what transpired in the camps.

That being said, I prefer 'Grammar Curmudgeon" and I appreciate you pointing out my error. :)

OP
audioholic63

audioholic63

I don't think I'm following the logic of this statement, audioholic63. Perhaps you could try to explain a little better what you mean by listening space in this context.

I generally use the term to refer to the different spaces in which people actually do their listening, such as a living room, a car, a pair of headphones, and so forth. And this would also implicitly include the acoustics in those spaces.
My attempts to articulate myself are probably not sufficient to meet the rigor that we all seek to maintain on this site when it comes to limiting subjective descriptions of audio reproduction and perception. All I am trying to express is that we all hear differently. There are physical limitations based on age, prior exposure to damaging sound levels, the shape of your skull and ears insofar as if you are not physically comfortable it will impact your overall listening experience. There is also an emotional component to the music being played, both in terms of style and recording quality as well as sonic texture. Some people are obsessed with certain genres as well as how they perceive specific instruments and frequency ranges. This is my intent when I refer to wearing headphones as a listening space. It is very intimate and focused and there are a myriad of factors that influence a listener's perceptions. Two people can evaluate the same headphones on the same playback system with the same material and have two very different reactions to the experience.

As to the PX100/ii, I was not in any way putting forth the notion that they would measure specifically well against any established standard or be considered a reference point. I was only pointing out that quite surprisingly they are the only headphones I have that I do not need to eq to fully enjoy. They embody some good qualities, cheap, lightweight, they don't specifically annoy me. They are not my first reach for critical listening. Right now that is a rotation of Senn/Drop HD6XX, HifiMan HE400se, and Audio Technica AD-ATH500x. Each of them provides a certain type of pleasure as well as annoyance. I find that I need a little eq on each one. YMMV.

Reactions: ADU
OP
audioholic63

audioholic63

I do like that; and so will my teacher daughter who is an 'Apostrophe Curmudgeon' first class!

On-topic, take a look at Superlux 'phones.
I've always been curious and doubtful about Superlux. Maybe I will revisit, any specific models?

As to the other, there is an ongoing, years long, dispute between my English major wife and and my Attorney sister over the Oxford comma. My wife is solidly against, while my sister and I are solidly pro. Needless to say it becomes a touchy subject if taken too seriously.

Loathecliff

I've always been curious and doubtful about Superlux. Maybe I will revisit, any specific models?

As to the other, there is an ongoing, years long, dispute between my English major wife and and my Attorney sister over the Oxford comma. My wife is solidly against, while my sister and I are solidly pro. Needless to say it becomes a touchy subject if taken too seriously.
Old style HD681 open back bought nearly ten years ago.
Amir says they benefit from EQ, but I'm very happy with them without. Could be the price though:rolleyes::)
NB Nothing beyond 10khz gets through to me

Two years ago bought HD661 closed back as they were a bargain in 'Baby Pink' (sic)! (I maxxed out my street cred a long time ago).
This was immediately after the WhatHiFi AKG encounter.
Wasn't expecting to like them, but did. I say did because I left them behind not realising I'd get stuck in a foreign land afterwards.
Shock. Horror:- I'm with your wife on the Ox com. Sentence flow predominates; unless it's my sentence :facepalm:

F

freemansteve

No Oxford commas in say, newspapers or 'technical/legal' writing, of course, but they are fine in a conversational style of writing.
The Oxford comma is useful to indicate a breath being taken, or a short pause, for emphasis, as I have been doing.

OP
audioholic63

audioholic63

Old style HD681 open back bought nearly ten years ago.
Amir says they benefit from EQ, but I'm very happy with them without. Could be the price though:rolleyes::)
NB Nothing beyond 10khz gets through to me

Two years ago bought HD661 closed back as they were a bargain in 'Baby Pink' (sic)! (I maxxed out my street cred a long time ago).
This was immediately after the WhatHiFi AKG encounter.
Wasn't expecting to like them, but did. I say did because I left them behind not realising I'd get stuck in a foreign land afterwards.
Shock. Horror:- I'm with your wife on the Ox com. Sentence flow predominates; unless it's my sentence :facepalm:
HD681 look like an AKG K240 clone. Any idea if they sound like a K240 (not necessarily a good thing)? Do they use the same silly elastic hangers as part of the suspension?

Loathecliff

^^ 1)Never tried K240.
2) What Killingbeans said.

What's the site that has a list of phones (& other kit) down the left side, and has modding details too?
Plenty on the 681.
Tried a search. No luck.

Loathecliff

You could have said SD! :rolleyes: ;)You are too modest. It's been years since I've explored it.
Audioholic63, you know where to go....in a manner of speaking:D

When I think of all those precious hours of ignorant me typing away.....mutter, mutter;)

Last edited:
OP
audioholic63

audioholic63

Yes, same with Samson SR850. And personally I really enjoy that silly suspension... although probably it snaps at some point ;)
It's not that I object to the system but having rehabbed a vintage 600Ohm set of K240M's, the effort to replace old worn out ones was an absurdly difficult affair. Made me think about the mechanical brilliance of 8-track tapes.

Top Bottom