• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I hate headphones, but they've been piling up here anyway. My current daily driver is the 1More over ear Triple Driver. It's pretty comfortable and sounds OK.

Veri

Master Contributor
HD650 bought in 2014, my classics. ATH-AD700 modded with AD2000 drivers with custom pads and cable, my beloved comfy cans.

And a pair of Sennheiser MB-660 which is basically a rebrand of PXC-550 with Skype licensing which I got for cheap through work. Not exceptional but they do the job.

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sennheiser HD580 (now just my TV watching headphones when the sound system is too loud at night, or I'll just turn the bass way down or use just the center channel)
Sennheiser HD58x, HD6xx and HD650
Stax SR-009

The Stax are my reference but still not truly neutral. The best headphones I've heard are Sennheiser HE90, frequency wise they sound closest to a slightly modified HD650 except with sheer unstoppable resolution. My single hifi regret is not buying the Sennheiser HE90 when Jan Meier was selling 15 (or 20) pairs of them, headphones alone without the amp. I believe he sold all of them in 2 days. If I was where I was now back then I would have instantly bought one :(

I went anti-headphones after getting into good speakers, but returned to headphones years later, I suspect because it was my first exposure to hifi and there is always some of that nostalgia associated with them, though I've also accepted that it is a nice alternate way to listen to music. I couldn't have a great speaker system in a city apartment when I was in med school. We certainly did not have all the choices in small speakers we have now back then.

Rollaven

Focal Elear for at home, currently my preferred headphones :) Bose Soundtrue Around-ear II for the office. Really comfortable headphones but got recently replaced by RHA CL1's. And the old warhorse ATH M50's but they are collecting dust now I don't listen to them anymore.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My current favourites are Beyerdynamic T5p ii, they replaced my Sony MDR Z7 which I still have and which I still like. I have an ancient pair of Sennheiser HD580's which still cut the mustard despite their age and a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1990's which I like a lot. My travel companions are Sony WH-1000X M2 wireless noise cancelling headphones. One of the nice advantages of headphones relative to speakers is it is much more practical to have several options depending on mood and what music you are listening to.

FunctionalDoc

Headphones:

HIFIMAN HE-400i
Mr. Speakers Aeon's Closed
ZMF Teak Auteurs - Best sounding ones that I own and gorgeous build and look besides the sound
MDR-7506 For You Tube and Computer TV watching
Sennheiser PXC 550 Wireless noise cancelling for flying

IEM's

TRN V80 IEM's -ChiFi 2 dynamic drivers and 2 BA's Under $50
Tin Audio T2 - @ dynmaic drivers Under $50
AudioFly AF180 4 BA's from Australia
Periodic Audio BE 10 mm dynamic driver

I am am in to headphones and affordable IEM's.

CTRLM

I'm not a big headphone user but I do use them occasionally for a change. I have the Sennheiser HD650 & HD600.

I much prefer the HD600, probably because of my source gear.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have some older Sennheiser and Sony models which I haven't used for years.
Plus
Stax Lambda Pro with the matching amp thingy which I haven't used in years.
Etymotic ER4S which I used on aeroplanes for decades.
AKG Q701 which I bought after extensive comparisons because it sounded the most natural to me on classical music, particularly bass which I find excessive and boomy on most headphones (probably not a problem or even more popular for pop music).
I just got some AKG N90Qs because I was intrigued by the technology but haven't formed an opinion yet.
Having written that I almost never use headphones at home and don't travel much since I retired. I just got back from a holiday where I took the new N90Q and didn't have time to listen at all!

Grave

I still need to sell my HD 58X's because they sound like ass to me. I only have my two other Sennheisers, but I use them constantly. I do not even have portable headphones because I would rather just listen to open headphones at home.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have too many...

Full Size

Stax Lambda Normal Bias

I believe these are from the late 70's but their still my favorite pair. Modded with custom pads and damping.

Stax SR-202

A much newer Lambda. 2010-ish maybe? Better bass than normal bias due to greater excursion, but treble isn't as smooth. Custom pads and damping as well.

Stax SR-207

One revision newer than the above. Have been wanting to mod them into closed-back, like the out of production and nearly unobtanium Stax 4070. I've been saying that for several years now though. I need to build an aluminum smelter and cast some molds for the carbon fiber cups I want make...

Sennheiser HD650

One of the best dynamics on the market despite its comparatively low price. Ends up as my beater headphone because of that. I have the Dekoni elite velour pads on mine. They bloat the midbass, which needs to be EQed back out, but are much more comfortable, so it's easily worth it.

AKG K601

Frequency response on these is excellent. Very close to ideal diffuse field. Unfortunately the drivers also have high-ish levels of distortion and ringing issues in the treble.

Fostex T50 RP

I have a couple of these in various states of modding. Very agreeable CSDs. Distortion through the midrange is kinda high, but has an euphonic harmonic profile. Despite being small for a planar driver you can still get plenty of clean bass out of it. I used to really like these before I gave up entirely on proper bass in headphones.

Sony XB-700

Fun once in a while. Super comfortable and absolutely enormous pads.

IEMS

Shure SE530

A little dark and not best in class resolution, but they're super smooth for listening all day without fatigue.

Radius HP-NHR11

Won these in a raffle. Way too much bass. They need a -12dB low shelf, even for podcasts/audiobooks, which is their primary use.

LH Labs Verb

Also won these in a raffle. Unfortunately they are completely unsalvageable.

Grave

It is easy to get near perfect bass in headphones. The high frequencies are the problem. They are never accurate.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I hate headphones, but they've been piling up here anyway. My current daily driver is the 1More over ear Triple Driver.

I hate them too :D, the 1More over ear Triple Driver is interesting. hope to hear it someday (or God forbid measure one)

The Stax are my reference but still not truly neutral. The best headphones I've heard are Sennheiser HE90, frequency wise they sound closest to a slightly modified HD650 except with sheer unstoppable resolution. My single hifi regret is not buying the Sennheiser HE90...

I heard the HE1 (HE1060) and also was of the opinion it was the best I ever heard (and heard a lot). Effortless and realism ... no 'headphone sound'

Mr. Speakers Aeon's Closed
ZMF Teak Auteurs - Best sounding ones that I own and gorgeous build and look besides the sound

Those Aeons closed sound great to me as well. Still thinking of buying those. Very portable, comfy and great sound.
I will probably never get to hear/measure Zach's creations. Many people like them.

A lot of HD600/HD650 owners here which is 'logical' for ASR members I quess... so is Stax.

Veri

Master Contributor
It is easy to get near perfect bass in headphones. The high frequencies are the problem. They are never accurate.

I would disagree :) HD6XX series lacks subbass, most planars I heard lack bass punchiness. The Fostex biodynamics are pretty great in bass but lack overall spectral balance. I guess the HD800 has some of the most balanced bass quality and quantity especially with EQ, but it's kinda flawed/'dry' for lack of better word when it comes to musical enjoyment.

Perfect or even near perfect is pretty damn difficult as far as I see it.

Last edited:

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dt770 80 ohm, Koss Porta Pro, Nad Viso HP50, Meze Classic 99, HE400i, HE560.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It can be near perfect inside the tiny cavity between the driver and your ear but since you feel bass with your whole body and don't just hear it with your ears I find that doesn't count for very much.

A good pair of 4" mini monitors has more bass impact than any headphone without even reaching as low.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I may be sick in some way:
Owned and sold many times more than this.
definitely a horder...

Pioneer SE-300 ans SE305 (just out of curiosity, costed nearly nothing, not used)
Koss KSC35 and 2 pairs of KSC75 (have gotten lots of usage in the past)
Jays V-Jays (somewhat similar to Koss thingies)
AKG K518 (modified, still not great)
Fostex T50RP both modified and EQ'ed (have not been used for years, great sound though)
Beyerdynamic DT990-600 (oldie, used it for many years, not used any more but can't part with it)
Beyerdynamic DT1350 EQ'ed and nubuck pads (used these on vacation now and then, need EQ, very dynamic and good SQ to me)
HD250-Lin II
HD238 (modified, wife uses it on vacation)
Philips Uptown 1x (modified, good SQ, not in use anymore)
Superlux: HD681 (modified), HD687 proto (modified), HD688 proto (modified), HD671 proto + production (modified), HD672 proto + production (modified)
Sennheiser HD58X proto + HD58X production (modified and filtered) occasionally used
Sennheiser HD650 (old, black driver) (EQ'ed) has been used extensively in the past. Now in the drawer. Not gonna sell it.
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (modified) did not like the stock version.
Sennheiser HD800 (EQ'ed).
NAD VISO HP50
Beyerdynamic DT1770 and DT1990

Favorites: HD800 (EQ'ed), HD688 Proto (modified), the production version is not nearly as good, DT1350 (EQ'ed), KSC35, HD650 (EQ'ed), COP (modified), HD58X (modified and filtered), DT1770, DT1990
Most usage: HD800 (EQ'ed)/DT1990, a prototype headphone I cannot name alas and DT1770 (closed)

Last edited:
Top Bottom