• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I've been looking at Brainwavez pads but have decided to not do any upgrades/modifications. The stock Samsons will be tolerable until I have the time and money to find a nicer alternative.

Somehow I managed to change my mind, and here's my set of SR850 with Brainwavez pads and a DIY leather headband:

SR850.jpg

They still feel cheap and fragile, but are 1000% more comfy. The pads probably wreck the frequency responce, but I can live with that :D

BTW, why have the price of these headphones doubled lately?

EKbluesboy

Just curious ...
What headphone(s) do you currently own ?
Which one(s) is(are) used the most, or is your favorite ?

'RG' modded Superlux HD681 (Will always keep for sentimental reasons)

AKG K240 MkII
AKG K701
AKG K240 Sextett (LP)

Sennheiser HD 600
Sennheiser HD 595

Audio Technica ATH-M50X

Beyerdynamic DT150
Beyerdynamic DT250
Beyerdynamic DT770
Beyerdynamic DT880
Beyerdynamic DT990
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

'RG' modded Fostex T40 RP Mk2

Sony MDR - 7506

Grado SR60 modded
Grado SR80e

Bowers and Wilkins P3 Black
Bowers and Wilkins P3 Blue

HiFiMan HE 400 Se 2021 'Stealth'

I probably use my Hifimans, Beyer 770's and Grado 80e's most but I try to give some love to them all.
Yes, I know, I really should get rid of some of them, at least that's what my wife keeps telling me! :facepalm:

EKbluesboy

I had been lurking for a little while looking at specs for Topping amps, and only noticed the other day on AS about the sad death of Alex Kethel.
So sad, although he absolutely NEVER missed an opportunity to proselytise about his rips, he was soo helpful to other members.
And I swear (after a prolonged PM back and forth with lots of downloaded rips) he got to me and I began to think I could hear differences o_O:p

Last edited:

Oldasdrt

'RG' modded Superlux HD681 (Will always keep for sentimental reasons)

AKG K240 MkII
AKG K701
AKG K240 Sextett (LP)

Sennheiser HD 600
Sennheiser HD 595

Audio Technica ATH-M50X

Beyerdynamic DT150
Beyerdynamic DT250
Beyerdynamic DT770
Beyerdynamic DT880
Beyerdynamic DT990
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

'RG' modded Fostex T40 RP Mk2

Sony MDR - 7506

Grado SR60 modded
Grado SR80e

Bowers and Wilkins P3 Black
Bowers and Wilkins P3 Blue

HiFiMan HE 400 Se 2021 'Stealth'

I probably use my Hifimans, Beyer 770's and Grado 80e's most but I try to give some love to them all.
Yes, I know, I really should get rid of some of them, at least that's what my wife keeps telling me! :facepalm:
What are your thoughts on the AKGs?Soundstage wise? Thanks

EKbluesboy

Hi,
I'm at work right now. I'll post my thoughts, for what their worth, later on tonight. :)

Oldasdrt

BTW, the K612 is the best tuned AKG by far (it has actual clarity unlike the closed backs). Stage is close enough to HD800 width I guess but more cohesive and natural overall. They are a bit bass light and mid centric though but still very natural sounding overall.
Thanks alot,think of anything else,PM me,thanks again,

Dealux

Thanks alot,think of anything else,PM me,thanks again,
The K612 is special. You can kinda tell from oratory's graphs. It has a very smooth response and in practice it has some of the most realistic timbre for the mids and highs I've heard in any headphone. It's really precise but a bit sibilant at times. It's also lacking in "air" a bit compared to some other open backs but the clarity is insane to me for $150 (or more like $120 in Europe).

EKbluesboy

This probably isn't the correct thread for these observations, but, since you asked . . .

First of all, I'm not sure if you mean a particular one, so I'll give you my tuppence worth on all three.

TBH, I'm probably not the best person to ask, as after serving in the Falklands the hearing in my right ear is not as good as my left, especially the H.F.
And soundstage has never been particularly important to me, I'm much more into timbral accuracy and general musicality, and that indefinable something, that makes you want to keep listening.

AKG K240 MkII
To me the soundstage is quite airy, probably helped by the fact that they are quite 'trebly' headphones. I'm listening to Yello's The Race from Flag and the sound of the race car going from one side to the other is actually palpable. Or in the brilliant Public Service Broadcasting's "GO!" from The Race to Space, when the flight director is calling out for a 'Go/No Go', each controller is (placed in the mix) on different sides of mission control and you can pick them out clearly. It definitely sounds out-of-the -head. Pretty much all on one plane though, not much three-dimensionality that I can hear, but definitely good lateral extension out-of-the-head.
(BTW, I disagree with people who say this headphone has too much treble; try standing in front of a real drum kit (as I have the pleasure of doing regularly) and listening to hi-hats and cymbals from three or four feet away).

AKG K701
701's have a reputation for having a very w-i-d-e soundstage and it's well deserved. The 701 is like the audio equivalent of 70mm Cinemascope, in glorious technicolour! Listening to Donald Fagen's Morph The Cat from the album of the same name, I get a clear image of the drums at 45 degrees front right, the bass is straight in front of me, lead guitar licks are way left, rhythm guitar is hard right, keyboards straight ahead and vocals high centre.
To me, there's a genuine feeling of height in most good recordings when listening with these cans, and it's really easy to pick different strands out of quite dense recordings and focus on them. BTW, what I said about the treble of the K240's applies equally well here.

AKG K240 SEXTETT
Soundstage on these incredible headphones is nothing special. They have many wonderful qualities, but soundstage is not one. Remember these are 1970's headphones (the last Sextett was built in 1979), and I don't think they bothered much with soundstage back then. That's not to say they have no soundstage, or sound closed-in, because they absolutely don't. They simply present the instruments in a matter of fact manner as though they are pretty much in your head. Listening to Junior Wells' Good Morning Little Schoolgirl from the fabulous 1965 recording 'Hoodoo Man Blues' everything sounds so well balanced , so real, the headphones just melt away and leave the music. Don't get me started on how listenable, and musical these headphones are. They've definitely got that indefinable something!!

As ever YMMV . . .

Oldasdrt

This probably isn't the correct thread for these observations, but, since you asked . . .

First of all, I'm not sure if you mean a particular one, so I'll give you my tuppence worth on all three.

TBH, I'm probably not the best person to ask, as after serving in the Falklands the hearing in my right ear is not as good as my left, especially the H.F.
And soundstage has never been particularly important to me, I'm much more into timbral accuracy and general musicality, and that indefinable something, that makes you want to keep listening.

AKG K240 MkII
To me the soundstage is quite airy, probably helped by the fact that they are quite 'trebly' headphones. I'm listening to Yello's The Race from Flag and the sound of the race car going from one side to the other is actually palpable. Or in the brilliant Public Service Broadcasting's "GO!" from The Race to Space, when the flight director is calling out for a 'Go/No Go', each controller is (placed in the mix) on different sides of mission control and you can pick them out clearly. It definitely sounds out-of-the -head. Pretty much all on one plane though, not much three-dimensionality that I can hear, but definitely good lateral extension out-of-the-head.
(BTW, I disagree with people who say this headphone has too much treble; try standing in front of a real drum kit (as I have the pleasure of doing regularly) and listening to hi-hats and cymbals from three or four feet away).

AKG K701
701's have a reputation for having a very w-i-d-e soundstage and it's well deserved. The 701 is like the audio equivalent of 70mm Cinemascope, in glorious technicolour! Listening to Donald Fagen's Morph The Cat from the album of the same name, I get a clear image of the drums at 45 degrees front right, the bass is straight in front of me, lead guitar licks are way left, rhythm guitar is hard right, keyboards straight ahead and vocals high centre.
To me, there's a genuine feeling of height in most good recordings when listening with these cans, and it's really easy to pick different strands out of quite dense recordings and focus on them. BTW, what I said about the treble of the K240's applies equally well here.

AKG K240 SEXTETT
Soundstage on these incredible headphones is nothing special. They have many wonderful qualities, but soundstage is not one. Remember these are 1970's headphones (the last Sextett was built in 1979), and I don't think they bothered much with soundstage back then. That's not to say they have no soundstage, or sound closed-in, because they absolutely don't. They simply present the instruments in a matter of fact manner as though they are pretty much in your head. Listening to Junior Wells' Good Morning Little Schoolgirl from the fabulous 1965 recording 'Hoodoo Man Blues' everything sounds so well balanced , so real, the headphones just melt away and leave the music. Don't get me started on how listenable, and musical these headphones are. They've definitely got that indefinable something!!

As ever YMMV . . .
Thanks alot,great write up,you should be a reviewer here :):):),
Btw, I have hearing loss in both ears,worse in the left, Jet engine tech,USAF

Oldasdrt

AKG K240 MkII

AKG K701

AKG K240 SEXTETT

As ever YMMV . . .
Some people say I’m crazy when I talk about soundstage,:):)

EKbluesboy

Thanks alot,great write up,you should be a reviewer here :):):),
Btw, I have hearing loss in both ears,worse in the left, Jet engine tech,USAF

Know where you're coming from.

I'm right-handed, so cheek and right ear closest to the breech of the old SLR rifle. We all scrounged 30-round Bren gun banana mags from the QM before we left for Falklands, but I swear the damage to my ear was done after firing four 66mm rounds against trenches on Mount Harriet.

Anyway, that's enough of that, we're way off topic.

Last edited:

Oldasdrt

Know where you're coming from.

I'm right-handed, so cheek and right ear closest to the breech of the old SLR rifle. We all scrounged 30-round Bren gun banana mags from the QM before we left for Falklands, but I swear the damage to my ear was done after firing four 66mm rounds against trenches on Mount Harriet.

Anyway, that's enough of that, we're way off topic.
Yep,F16s are loud for 12 yrs even with hearing protection,

Really great review though,
Am considering a pair of AKGs but I sure wish I could afford a pair of Dan Clark Planers, we used Dan Clark phones in the AF, not planers though :):):):)

Rotiv

NAD Viso HP50 with Solderdude filter.

After several eq's, my preference goes to the filter, the closest to my reference stereo sistem

Sennheiser HD540 Ref ll

Taking into account the age of the hp I disassembled and removed the sponge behind the driver. It was completely dry. I put small spheres of visaton schafwolle.

Waiting for a review and filter from solderdude:)

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom