• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Tachyon88

I recently purchased the Sundara and have been enjoying them tremendously. I've eq'd the 50 Hz and lower frequencies by a couple of decibels and feel no need to eq anything else.

Other headphones I own (I'll list the approx month and exact year I used them as a "daily" headphone):
Bose QC 35 (used for a couple of days in 2016)
Wh1000x (late 2016 to late 2018)
Wh100xm3 (late 2018 to the beginning of April 2019)
Hd6xx (April 2019 to near end of July 2019)
Hifiman Arya (July 2019 to the beginning of Jan 2020)
Zmf Verite (Jan 2020 to near end of April 2020)
Zmf Verite Close (April 2020 to near end of July 2020)
HD800s ( July 2020 to the beginning of January 2021)
Focal Utopia (January 2021 to beginning of May 2021)
Sr007mk2 (May 2021 to near end of July 2021)
Sundara (July 2021 to current)

Iems (I swap between three of them often and only for use outdoors):
Thieaudio Monarch (least used) - Mainly because the sub-bass broke on the left earpiece. Need to return it sometime.
Thieaudio Clairvoyance (moderate use)
QDC Anole VX (moderate use)
QKZ VK4 (moderate use)

Can you be a bit more specific on your timeline of ownership ? /j ;p

Eddy

In order of preference:

Hifiman HE 6 (6 screw)
AKG 812
Sennheiser HD 580
AudioQuest Nighthawk Carbon
Stax SR-5 with Stax SRD-6 /SB
Grado SR80e

Bluetooth:
Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 3.0
Harman Kardon Fly ANC

aLKayeL

Headphones :
Audeze LCD-X 2013
Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed
Hifiman HE6SE V2

IEMs:
Mangrid Tea
Thieaudio Oracle
Mangrid XENNS Up

Propheticus

Sennheiser HD660S

Newest Acquire, saw an offer I could not refuse. Was labelled B-stock / Refurbished on the website, but do not see any usage marks whatsoever. Only saw a slight scratch on the (removable) cable connector that looked like someone tried to push it in the wrong way round. There's a slight notch preventing this and the +/- pins are different diameters. Perhaps a buyer of the impatient kind tried once, failed, did not bother reading the manual and returned the product.
First impressions are good. It's light and comfortable. The clamping force is a bit high, which I begin to notice now after some hours of use.
Currently using Oratory1990's EQ setting, but tweaked with a bit reduced bass boost (100Hz low shelf at 3dB instead of 5,5dB)
Still not sure I like the 3dB 8kHz boost, so toggling on/off to test.

Philips Fidelio X2

Served me well for several years already. The matte black paint shows some wear and the self-adjusting inner headband has lost its tension (rubber band inside?), but it works fine otherwise. I have taken off the cups at some point to remove loose bits of orange resin that caused resonances and rattling. I understand later revisions used white goop/glue instead.

(Warning, highly subjective:)
Now I can compare them to my new HD660S, the X2 is actually holding up pretty well. It's certainly more bass-heavy and perhaps a better fit for house/techno/dance genres. The bass can be a bit much at times though, rumbling over/masking other details. The HD660S to me sounds 'cleaner' and has an even wider soundscape. The X2 sounds a little closer and more in-my-head.

Sennheiser PC360 G4ME

Retired, will attempt a bypass of the rotary volume control some day. The potmeter has become wobbly, breaks up one or both channels and scratches. Takes a lot of fiddling to get L/R balanced sound)

Last edited:

kism

I started getting into headphones with the Philips SHP9500. I ran those for a good year or so until I got the itch to try something different. I found a a pair of Monoprice M565 on sale and had those as my first planar magnetic pair. I was really excited listening to those. I ended up giving my Philips to my dad and my Monoprice to my son when I came across the Focal Elegia.

I really appreciated the design, the closed-back, the sound signature, and omg the detail I was receiving from the Elegias was like nothing I had heard before. I wore them everywhere, tried out aftermarket pads, cables, amps & DACs, and EQ. This is where I started getting really into headphones and audio.

From there, I purchased the Audeze Penrose to have a nice headset to use with my Playstation. They sound really good for their price and work well for their purpose. I picked up both a pair of KISS-modded Sennheiser HD6XX and 58X Jubilee to compare. I thought I would sell the one I liked the least, but my wife liked the 58X so much, that it's basically her pair now. I love how the modded 6XX sound stock with a fresh pair of pads on a nice solid-state amp. No EQ necessary.

Finally, my most recent purchase and honestly my most used pair of 'phones, the Grado SR60x. I f'ing love these little guys. From the moment I put them on, everything just sounded so good and right to my ears. I kinda like the nice, thick braided cable. They're super light, and they sound great on just about everything. I hook 'em up to my little dongle DAC plugged into my phone and take them for walks every single night. I used to go Bluetooth with the Penrose, and sometimes still do, but IMO the Grados are just easy to listen to, and I don't much mind the cord smacking me in the leg or background noises interfering as the sound is too good.

I'm about done purchasing headphones (at least for now). I've got a great selection that suit me to almost every purpose I can think of. My next step is putting together a nice speaker setup for my living room.

avoidwork

headphones: audeze lcd-xc '21, audio-technica ath-awas, audio-technica ath-wp900 (daily driver - very versatile), drop+focal elex, focal radiance, fostex t60rp, fostex th-900 pearl, fostex th-909 (my fav), grado white, hifiman ananda, rosson audio rad-0 (in transit), sony mdr-z7m2

iem: ikko oh7, ikko oh10, fiio fh7

dead: grado 80, grado 125, grado 225, grado rs2 ... it's always the f'n cable

Last edited:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[QUOTE=". don't know how much that or the design seemed to really make them sound like $2k headphones.[/QUOTE]

Just curious. What do $2k headphones sound like?
Is that $2k used or new with no discounts?
I have heard some $2k headphones that i thought sounded like crap. Hopefully you werent referring to those

sakt1moko

Im not going to listed my collection of chi-fi (and no chi-fi) iems, because this post has to be short

Erzetich Mania: an empyrian with steampunk look
Sash tres: a handmade customizable
one-man company from Ukraine. Incredible planar for the price.
Sony z7mk2: just arrived, so comfy.
Akg 701qc: my reference, the one that I would get to a desert Island.
Hifiman He4xxx: 120€? Really?
Aeon flow open: 900€? Really?
Audioques nighthawk: this is probably the more "special" headphone Ive got. I cant sell it, because im gonna regret for sure.
1more triple driver overear: the best portable phone Ive ever got.

Im ending my collection, probably a closed planar (any advice?) And I really want a gjallahorn.

batcake

That is quite a list there. You went from mid-fi to very high end and then back, what was the reasoning behind it? I ask because I'm "stuck" at mid-fi and often wonder if the $700+ headphones can be worth the upgrade.

*Just for a bit of clarification I still own all the headphones I listed. The dates are just for when I used them almost exclusively (honeymoon period).

After comparing some of my headphones/iems (Utopia, HD800s, Arya, HD6xx, Qkz Vk4, & Sr-007mk2) with EQ using Oratory's Harman Curve presets, I realized that I don't hear a major "technical" difference between them outside of soundstage. I'm not saying they sound exactly the same post-eq (I'm aware of unit variance and fitting issues that can change FR) but similar enough. This just leads me to believe that most of the perceived technical aspects of headphones such as "speed", "detail retrieval" and "imaging" can be explained by their tuning. For soundstage, I still think that the HD800s is noticeably wider than the rest post-eq. I assume this is due to its angled drivers, deep cups, and relatively lightweight?

I mainly bought the Sundara because I saw a Reddit comment that stated that he/she found the Sundara to be better than the Utopia post-eq. This made me curious enough to hear it for myself. I do agree with that user btw. They sound awfully close with Oratory's presets but the Sundara has the edge when it comes to sub-bass. I'm assuming this is because of its tighter clamp on my head?

Last edited:

sakt1moko

DCA Stealth looks pretty good...
4000 dollars?

Not for me, I prefer to collect and keep different headphones for always come back to them and compare. That's this hobby for me.

And aeon flow open still on my collection because portability and so comfy, but he4xx feels superior in every way (being so much cheaper)

phrwn

4000 dollars?
Not for me, I prefer to collect and keep different headphones for always come back to them and compare. That's this hobby for me.
I'm the opposite. I'd love to be able to have one definitive headphone and be done with it. So far I've not been able to nail it any price range and currently have the Teaks, Airpod Pros, and a couple of Etymotics in a drawer that I'll probably use on a plane, but that's about it. DCA Stealths would not beat the convenience of the Airpods, but I wonder what the sound difference would be with the Teaks. And some isolation would be great.

musicarcade

I currently own DCA Aeon RT closed and the DCA Aeon 2 open. I bought the RT from a private seller and the Aeon 2 open from a dealer. The RT's I purchased on EBay for $425. It seemed like a great deal to me because it came with the VIVO cables, which list for $300.

roog

Forum Donor
I have a fairly tatty pair of Sony MDR 7510 for monitoring whilst playing keyboards and Guitar. (fairly tough closed back with obligatory pig tail lead!)
Oppo PM3 on its second set of ear pads
Shure SE 535 IEMs for train journeys
Sony MDR 1000X just for the peace and quiet afforded by the noise-cancelling, for use in the office
Stax L700 + SRM 006ts for when I can't use my HiFi system with speakers.

Funny how things can change so quickly, given that I have recently moved to a detached house and now work 100% from home, I have gone from almost exclusively using headphones to hardly ever!

D

Deleted member 36131

Just curious ...
What headphone(s) do you currently own ?
Which one(s) is(are) used the most, or is your favorite ?

Sennheiser IE 40 PRO
Sony MDR-7506
Shure SE215
MoonDrop Starfield
Monolith M350
Fiio FH5s
Audeze LCDi4
Grado SR80

I use the Sennheiser most often for sure, small, light, sound great, great fit, comfortable for long periods of time.

Top Bottom