• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

IHeartAudio

Home:

Sennheiser HD600 (Purchased in 2008) [My Fav]
Audio Technica M50 (Purchased around 2010 maybe?) [Needed a closed headphone for recording vocals]
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm (Purchased in 2015)
Beyerdynamic DT177X GO (Purchased in April 2019) [Preferred closed back for now]

Portable:

Sennheiser IE8i (Purchased in 2009)
Beyerdynamic T51i (Purchased in 2014) [Now dead from a terrible cable. Warrantied and failed again. Only headphone I've ever had fail]
Samsung Galaxy Buds (Purchased in 2019) [Replaced IE8i for me and sounded better]
Audio Technica M50X (Purchased in 2019)
Samsung Galaxy Buds+ (Freeeeee in 2020)

Kadent

I'm quite new to the world of headphones and IEM's. Prior to recently I only owned some Bose Bluetooth headphones which worked quite well for about 2 years, then they broke :).

So far the list is as follows:
Apple AirPods Pro (Returned)
Moondrop Starfields (Also returned)
Moondrop SSP (Got them the day they came out)
Denon D5200 (Got them for black Friday sale)

I always been a speaker person for as long as I can remember, so this stuff is quite new to me.
I'm really liking the Denon's, also ordered a Schiit Asgard + DAC so that will be fun when it arrives.
Feel free to ask me anything about what I owned if needed.
Cheers guys

spanayotov

Currently own:

Bowers & Wilkins P5 series 2
AirPods 2

Previously owned:

Sony MDR-CD380
Sennheiser HD 201
Sony MDR-EX71
AKG K81 DJ
Grado Alessandro Music Series One
Altec Lansing iM716
Westone UM3X
Klipsch Custom 3
Audio-Technica ATH-A1000X
Shure SE110
Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic

mnotik

DT770 pro
DT990 pro
AKG Q-701
Grado SR225e
Sony MDC-7506
Fostex T50RP
AKG K-141 MkII

Yamaha EPH-100

Koss KSC35
Senheiser PX100
JVC HA-DX3
Superlux HD661
Superlux HD681D
Superlux HD668B

I added Apple Airpod max just before Christmas.
A bit bass heavy for a natural balance on classical but fun on rock.

I tried these out at Apple Grand Central NYC last week and must say I was very impressed. Noise cancellation was excellent and the spatial audio was spooky. If they were in stock I would have walked out with them.

Sony MDR-7506 - mix reference and R&D
(“if it sounds good on these, it will sound good on ANYTHING”)™
Apple AirPods Pro (running-gym / phone calls / MS Teams)
Alclair Triple Driver Reference (live gigs - travel - now paired with FiiO Q3)
Audio Technica AT-H2 (Vintage - purchased in 1987 / tracked my first record on these!)
ATH-M40x - “meh”
Sennheiser Momentum II - remote work / WFH - Apple TV
HD-6XX - paired with Schiit Magnius / Modius. Office listening / reference system.

HD 660S - not impressed, very comfy pair, but stock sound too grainy/harsh (can be compensated with EQ) and huge bass roll-off (can be *partially* compensated with EQ)
ATH-R70X -- good stock tuning, good bass, but boring to listen for me. Idk why. And headband with two pads not very convenient on my head.
HD800 - too bright for me. sold them quickly before even got knew about that mod or EQ.
HD800S - was my preferable headphone with few basic EQ filters before i have bough ananda's
Ananda - enjoyable even without EQ, good stock tuning for instrumental music and vocals. But really shines after EQ, and soundstage as wide as 800s for me. Comfy and somewhat light (in huge planars category)
LCD-2C - not impressed at all, good textured bass and slam, but all other frequenices sounds just bad and wierd. May be usable for some electronic music. I was tried to EQ them, but don't got really good results, may be because of high unit variation or different revisions.

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
Curently:
AKG K371 (My go-to for listening, shines especially with densely produced modern music)
AKG K612 (Good for live music with enhanced imaging)
Crative Aurvana Live!

KZ ZST (Go-to in-ears, sound balanced an exciting at the same time)
Philips SHE3885
Sony MH755
(Seals perfectly all the time)

Previously:
Beyerdynamic DT250-250 (Sound and comfort was good but channel imbalance drove me nuts)
Beyerdynamic DT250-80
Koss KSC50
Koss KSC75
Sennheiser HD201
Sennheiser HD202
Sennheiser PX100
Sony MDR 7506
(Great comfort, sound was just OK)
Superlux HD562
Superlux HD662F
(Ruined by build and weird treble, despite high Harman score)
Supåerlux HD661

Etymotic ER4PT (overly mid-focused)
Etymotic HF3
LG Quadbeat 2
LG Quadbeat 3
LG Quadbeat Tuned by AKG
Philips SHE8105
Samsung Tuned by AKG EO-IG955B
(Never got proper seal)
Sony MH1
VSonic GR07 Bass Edition
(Overrated)

Last edited:

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
hd600
Focal elex
Beyerdynamic dt880
Er4sr
Er4xr
Sony ex800
Alessandro ms1

speakers are axiom lfr1100 with ep500 subwoofer

antdroid

Reviewer
Headphones: ZMF Verite Open, Hifiman Arya, Hifiman HE6SE, Audeze Sine, Denon D5200, Sennheiser HD600, Emu Rosewood
IEMs: Hidition Viento, Unique Melody MEST, and a lot more....

Zensō

Major Contributor
ED0FED6B-B52D-473A-906B-B81AE083EC4C.jpeg

Here’s my mid-fi collection:
  • Focal Elex
  • Focal Elegia
  • Sennheiser HD660S
  • Sennheiser/Drop HD58X
  • Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
  • FiiO FH5
  • Apple AirPods Pro
  • Aftermarket cables from Audiophile Ninja, Hart Audio, and Periapt
A few random thoughts:

The Focals are very dynamic, with great slam and detail. The Elex sounds more natural, but the Elegia has more punch. I find both fun to listen to and reasonably comfortable for up to a couple of hours.

The two Sennheisers are quite similar, though to my ear the 660 is cleaner across the spectrum than the 58X. Both are comfortable enough for working at the computer all day. Even though the Focals are more exciting, I find myself listening to the 660S more than the others due to their better comfort and smooth tonality.

I primarily use the Beyers for checking mixes. As you know, they’re terribly bright, but that can be advantageous when you’re hunting down little anomalies in a mix. I also sometimes run them through Sonarworks which smooths the FR and makes them much more tolerable for longer sessions. I prefer the balanced over the analytical pads.

The Audio-Technicas are pretty terrible for normal listening, but I keep them around for monitoring in live performance situations where I need a rugged and cheap closed back for throwing around.

I find most IEMs uncomfortable so I don’t end up using the FiiOs much. I find the Airpods Pro mostly tolerable, and because they’re so incredibly convenient I end up using them a lot more than my other IEMs.

I do most of my listening at a desk, so I prefer a cable in the 4’-5’ range. The stock Sennheiser cables are OK but too long, the Focal cables look great but are too stiff and feel terrible. I‘ve tried aftermarket cables from Periapt, Hart Audio, Audiophile Ninja, and some cheapies from Amazon and Ebay. The Periapt are well made, but the design of the junction is such that it easily gets caught on the desk (quite annoying after a while). The Hart Audio have a clever modular design that’s nice if you need both 1/4” and XLR plugs, though they seem a little more fragile than the others. Overall, my favorites are the Audiophile Ninja cables, which check all of the boxes and appear to be the highest quality of those that I’ve tried.

I started using Roon last year and dove into EQing all of my headphones. Every one was pretty dramatically improved with EQ, with the 660S perhaps benefitting the most. I’ve had great luck with Oratory1990’s Harman Target EQs.

Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited:

Jwoooosh

Sennheiser HD6XX, and Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm; with a Modhouse Argon Mk3 coming today. I appreciate the different perspective which both the 6XX and 880 provide in comparison to each other and they both sound great on the balanced output of my THX 789. In the future I'd like to pick up a more colored solid state (like the Schiit Asgard 3, or Rebel Amp), or budget tube amp to really make use of the high impedance of both the 6XX and 880.

Leporello

Stax SR303
AKG K501
Grado SR80
Sennheiser HD280
Sennheiser HD380 (at work)
Sony MDR100ABN (noise canceling)
Sony MDREX650 (buds)
Ultimate Ears UE700 (buds)
Sennheiser HD600 (2019 version)
Sony WI-C200 (BT buds)

By far the most used is Sony MDR100ABN. Unfortunately it has quite recently developed a rustling sound in one earcup when nc is on.

Best sound: Stax with generous help of parametric eq.
Worst: Grados are quite unbearable.

demiro

Now:
Sennheiser HD560s
Very nice headphones for what they cost. Paired with RME ADI 2 and some EQing these are way above price tag.

Before:
AKG 601
AGK 712Pro
Etymotic HF5
Grado sr225

Top Bottom