• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Sennheiser HD480, HD660S
Soundmagic E10

Gifted myself the HD660S for Christmas and am very much in love. Now it's time to upgrade my IEM's I guess...

amb223

Philips Fidelio X2HR paired with Modi/Magni 3. Very happy with performance overall, but looking forward to upgrade to HD800 SDR mod + modius/magnius stack

pma

Major Contributor
Measurements of Vivanco SR750 distortion vs. voltage at 100Hz and 1kHz. Both electric input and acoustic output distortions are shown.

vivanco_el_ac_thdampls.png

zhogun

My headphones:

WF-1000XM3 (have had them for 5 days only..)
B&W P7 Wireless (fun to listen to, use them daily connected to my TV and usually some Nightwish (live) or Godjira (live))
HD-580 (bought them the day before i had to go and do my military service for 11 months back in year 1995, paired them with a Technics portable CD-player ... hehe was a little bit weak in the bass haha). Had four records, Jennifer Warnes -The Hunter & Famous Blue Raincoat, Michael Ruff - Speaking in melodies and Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball.
HD-650 (Favourite if amped) Had a DIY tube amp for them some years ago.. MAX? Will have to get me the Topping E30+L30 i think. Have listed to them for 5 years now directly from an MacBook Pro :/

Heldaeus

Avantone Pro Planar: This is my latest purchase and I've been enjoying it a lot. It has an even tonal balance but is slightly warm due to a lack of upper midrange and treble energy (some have described this as sounding analog). It has a few quirks as well, some good, some bad. Overall I think it's a solid headphone.
Monoprice Monolith M1060 V2: This was my very first audiophile-grade headphone and right now it's in Austria getting measured by Oratory. This headphone was also my intro into modding because of how sibilant it was due to the 5k peak.
Bose QC35: It is what it is.
Bose Soundsport: I bought this for the sole purpose of gym use a few years ago before I got into Hi-Fi.

Out of these four, I have to say that I really like the Planar the most.

mo6020

Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro: Love these things, pretty much my go-to headphones when at home.
Shure SE535: Normally paired with Fiio M11 Pro for when I’m mobile, used with my PS4, or used as monitors when recording guitar parts
B&W PX7: Airplanes (before the pandemic I spent way to much time flying transatlantic). I know the sound signature is WILD, but it kinda works after a few pre-flight beers.
Bose Soundsport Wireless: For running.

roz

I've got the ZMF Verite Opens and Sony Z7m1 for closed duties. Have not really looked for any other headphones once I had these two.

brachypelma44

After some recent acquisitions, I now have these setups going:

Home theater room: Hifiman Sundara + Monolith THX 788

Office: Drop HD 6XX + (a second) Monolith THX 788

Now I can stop fussing with the gear and just enjoy the music. That's always been my goal with this stuff.

FulyenCurtz

Headphones
- JVC HA-SZ2000 (broken headband :()
- Koss Portapros w/ yaxi pads

IEMs
- Blon BL03

I'm a bit of a basshead tbh. Trying to find a replacement for the JVCs or get a replacement hinge for the broken headband. Have my eyes on the HiFiMan Sundaras - supposedly there's a large amount of EQ headroom for the bass

panson

HD600 ,HD650, HD58X , AKG 240, ATH M50X , dt770 80 ohm, MDR 7506 IEMs shure SE535, SE215, KZ ZSN, and KZ ATE

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I added Apple Airpod max just before Christmas.
A bit bass heavy for a natural balance on classical but fun on rock.

Edit.
Now I have had them for a while I can add I am getting used to the frequency balance and not finding the bass as heavy as some others.
They are very comfortable and beautifully made so I am using them more.
A very good buy for me, on balance.

Last edited:

virtua

It's easy to become a gear hoarder in this hobby but I feel I've broken out of it finally, I came to a conclusion that in the end there really is no, A is better than B, it's a massive pool of flavours. I used to love darker sounding headphones but tend to favour headphones with better dynamics due to superior range.

This is really what I needed to hear, I feel as if lately I've been looking for that next headphone like a consumer addiction. When it comes down to it, I could be completely happy with something modest like a HE400i 2020 version and may eventually get to it one day. Lately, it's gotten to the point where I have 7 different headphones and honestly, two of them I don't even really like (HD6xx, HD58x) as much as I've tried to, so I plan on selling those. It's just not worth keeping stuff around that you aren't excited to use even if they're so heavily referenced and loved online. You eventually know the stuff you love because you're reaching out to listen to it.

Something else I've found about TOTL headphones is that while I do agree that a lot of headphones do get technically better as you move up, most of them are tuned somewhat bright rather than neutral - almost as if with every brand as you move up in price they just keep getting brighter and brighter and brighter (perhaps they tune them this way assuming the only people who can afford TOTL are older people who can't hear as well into the treble regions perhaps? or maybe to trick people into thinking there is more detail than there actually is?). I prefer my stuff to sound reasonable without having to touch an EQ - with an EQ being an optional thing if I decide to do it, and in the case of bright headphones like most of the ones TOTL or thereabouts, it's literally uncomfortable for me to listen to them without EQ which is something that personally puts me off of them. The only cans that I've been able to enjoy in the higher end have been Audezes and the Hifiman Edition X V2 - and even Audezes are susceptible to the 'treble creep' theory I have, just have a look at the LCD2C, to the LCD2 to the LCD3, they clearly keep getting brighter and brighter as you go up in price.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been using a modded hybrid. My regular cans before were Sony MDR-V700DJ, but the leatherette on both the band and cushions rotted. I still have the guts hoping I can rejuvenate them down the road somehow.
This all started awhile ago (2 years now?), wanting to try the Pyle frames out as a sacrificial pair and utilize the Peerless 2"/50mm paper-coned driver units. Most are polyethylene, and that set these apart. The cheap Pyle frames allowed me to audition them and know that I liked what I heard.
https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-hpd-50n25pr00-32-2-headphone-driver-diaphragm--264-1510
The Pyle frames had issues with durability, and assembly inconsistencies that made them not a completely viable solution. Stock they were horrible.
https://www.parts-express.com/pyle-phpdj1-dj-turbo-headphones--248-4414
Then I sought out a better set of frames to continue with, and found the Talent SMH580 for dirt-cheap at the PE tent sale. I like the fit and feel of this 'AKG-esque' frame, and found it would be suitable and accepted 50mm drive units. Then- they were discontinued. Stock the bass was a little strong, and a little soft in the mids with polite treble.
https://www.parts-express.com/talent-smh580-semi-open-back-studio-headphones--233-350
And as you saw above if you clicked the link, PE also stopped carrying the Peerless drive units.
So, I was able to find replacements relatively easily/inexpensively....
Digikey is a source for Tymphany products, and they stock them:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/peerless-by-tymphany/HPD-50N25PR00-32/6211129
(The image on the item's online-page is not the correct image, and clicking the spec-sheet document shows the correct one.)
I was able to find a set of Stellar-Labs HP580 cans from Newark that looked very familiar, though a bit more red color is utilized:
https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/ho-5960/full-size-dj-headphones/dp/52W8580#
AND- they were on sale (still are even) for about $18! Even the internals match that of the older Talent frames.
There are other options that are similar, like PreSonus HD7, available from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-HD7...6EPFW27QH87&psc=1&refRID=YPPA0K0RJ6EPFW27QH87
...but their cost is too high for sure! $18 is a lot better, added the cost of the Peerless units making the total about $40.
So- recap:
  • Stellar Labs HP580 or Talent SMH580 or PreSonus HD7 frames.
  • Peerless 50mm paper drive units, model HPD-50N25PR00-32
1- I gently removed the cushions from the frames.
2- I removed the 4 tiny screws from the face of the driver mount to gain access, and that is really all it takes to get in there.
3- Just snip the wires close to the elements to remove the whole assembly to work on it. I would leave about 0.25" wire on the driver to verify polarity before soldering later, as this ended up being the same in position on the Peerless units.
4- Use a small screw driver to work at the adhesive around the stock driver unit, and it will come free with very little elbow grease.
5- Remove the sticker that faces the listener's ear. It's a 'quadrant of a donut' shape, and says "Monitoring Headphone DYNAMIC" on it. All this does is reduce the midband when in place. If done right and you prefer them in place, you can reinstall them. I liked them better without.
6- Install electrical tape across 3 of the 6 open vents facing the listener. This will lower the tuning and tighten up the bass. I covered the 3 holes toward the rear of my head when worn because my Sony headphones' bass holes were towards the front of my head. I figured they knew why they did that.
7- Glue Peerless driver elements in with E6000 (about 2-3 hr cure time), around the entire perimeter of the driver for a good seal and to prevent rattles.
8- Place batting in the cups. I used about 4" square, 1/2" thick pieces of wool batting, but Ultratouch, Dacron, etc could all be substituted. I even bet cotton balls would be a worthy method for this. You can't get it too thick, or the mounting plate won't reinstall in the cup.
9- Solder terminals after glue has dried, and reinstall plate screws and cushions.
10- Enjoy!
I have a yearning to try adhesive felt around the inner perimeter of the cups as it seems like there is a midbass spot that might be resonating slightly, but I am really splitting hairs. The cups are pretty thin material and could be the reason, but who wants a heavy headphone?
I find the top-end to be polite, and nothing is offensive in relative output. These are comfortable, detailed, and sound much better than $40 has a right to. About 10 people have tried them whom ears I tend to trust, and no one has disliked them.

Had another friend try these yesterday, and I think he had to pick his jaw off the floor before he smiled and said "these are great!" Then I told him I had $40 in them, and he just shook his head in disbelief. He also said he thought they were 'definitely better than Bose', but I don't know which model he was referring to.

Then he listened to the Beston RH85A I have at the moment, and we both feel while the planar-style is more clear and open, the bass is just too light in comparison. We both prefer the balance of the modded cans I did.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I have succumbed. B + H had a used [I hope slightly] pair of AKG 371 for 20% off, just pulled the trigger. Should show up on the 7th.

I thank Solderdude in advance.

Top Bottom