• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Bart

Yes they were my first "serious" headphones back then. I did have to replace the pads as the original ones deteriorated over the years. Not easy to find :confused:. Did you enjoy their sound?

Yes, I did. If I remember well (from 24 or so years ago) I think they were on the warm side of neutral.

Robin L

Master Contributor
OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Anything beyond the DT770 pads and a your passive filter? I might consider these for closed backs if that's all it takes!

I also partly covered the ports in the headphone. I found the bass too much and too 'loose'.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
solderdude---I've got $200/$300 to spend, what sealed back 'phones do I want? My biggest sonic challenge these days is Bruckner. The mass brass climaxes that blow up in every single movement easily become oversaturated and distorted. I've heard far fewer problems with pop and rock, but brassy classical is the worst.

Hard to recommend something. Something like the HP50, with its upper mids being substantially lower might be more pleasant, might be too dark.
Mechanically and the cable is a weak point as is getting a seal and parts in case they do break.
Not easy to get and when it breaks down... that's it.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Hard to recommend something. Something like the HP50, with its upper mids being substantially lower might be more pleasant, might be too dark.
Mechanically and the cable is a weak point as is getting a seal and parts in case they do break.
Not easy to get and when it breaks down... that's it.
I guess you're pointing to the NAD HP50, which appears to be no longer in production. I'm talking about a pretty common price point for a pretty common device. Drop has an open back headphone in the 6XX that I'm buying. As far as I can tell it ticks off all the boxes. Is it really that hard to find a decent set of closed backed headphones for that price?

Last edited:
OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, You can still find it here and there (2nd hand mostly)
I sold mine as I did not like it but it will remove brightness from brass crescendo's
You can also do this with EQ.
It's a cheap headphone. I had seal issues and internal wiring broke.

A good over-ear closed headphone that doesn't have the typical closed sound and doesn't need EQ is not easy to find.
I liked the AEON2 closed, DT1770 (modified), T51P (on-ear) but these are all above E 300.-
Maybe the HD569 but found the lows too boomy and treble not really refined.

You could consider the Meze 99. I found it way too warm and bassy but the reduced upper mids and smooth treble might work well here.

Reactions: PSO

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yes, You can still find it here and there (2nd hand mostly)
I sold mine as I did not like it but it will remove brightness from brass crescendo's
You can also do this with EQ.
It's a cheap headphone. I had seal issues and internal wiring broke.

A good over-ear closed headphone that doesn't have the typical closed sound and doesn't need EQ is not easy to find.
I liked the AEON2 closed, DT1770 (modified), T51P (on-ear) but these are all above E 300.-
Maybe the HD569 but found the lows too boomy and treble not really refined.

You could consider the Meze 99. I found it way too warm and bassy but the reduced upper mids and smooth treble might work well here.
Wouldn't consider the HD569, already have the HD 579 and 599, don't really care for either. My issue is not one of desiring to reduce the upper mids, it's one of wanting to hear the bells of horns ring. That sound usually sets off the worst resonant behaviour of the 'phones.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Robin L

Master Contributor
Have you heard the K371 ?
It is cheap from Thomann and you can return it.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_371.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjQiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0=

treble is not super smooth, cable a bit microphonic and pads are pleather. Construction wise looking and feeling cheap.
Mayb, just maybe M50X though it too has some lesser qualities.
I've auditioned the AT M50Xs, like the sound signature of the AKG K167s better, they're a less expensive headphone than the Audio Technica model. I recall the M50X having "V" shaped eq. I'm in the states, see the AKG K371 going for a very reasonable $149 at Amazon with free shipping. I'm guessing that would be a lateral move. The AKG K167 is comfortable enough, has a good balance in the bass. I'm getting the Topping E30/L30 pair tomorrow, the Drop 6XX soon thereafter. I suspect that some of what bothers me is due to the limitations of the electronics I'm now using. The K167 'phones do sound better through my Schiit Magni 3, but there's still thickening [IM?] when brass peaks out. Amazon now has the K 167 phones for $69 with free shipping [but with tax, so more like $76 delivered]. My pair suffers from a little physical damage, my fault, but the bits of broken plastic don't affect the sound or comfort. However, I'm seeking greater clarity and openness of sound, hopefully that will come from the Drop 6XX's.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The 6XX will certainly be much better in the distortion department and are great at the most critical frequencies.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Bought a pair of Goldring DR150 as a gift for myself for finishing my education as Electronics Technician in 2010.

Been using those for all of my headphone needs since.

My trusty Goldrings fell apart a while back. Nearly 10 years of all-round use was too much for the plastic :(

Got some AKG K72 as a quick cheap replacement, but my girlfriend complained about the closed back construction. I bugs her that I don't even make the obligatory acknowledgment sounds when she talks to me...

So now I have a pair of Samson SR850. I like the sound, but everything else is terrible.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
it's made by Superlux.
Possible issues in the future are the screws (internally) that hold the cups to the headband. The plastic between the rods and the screw has a tendency to break.
Wires soldered to the headband coming loose (affects right cup only)
Fortunately the SR850 has a fixed cable and not the 'dongle type' which tend to break after a while.
Drivers are decent and pretty 'neutralish' sound.

You can mount velourpads which are less 'sticky' to the skin when wearing them for longer periods.
You can also lower the clamping force when needed.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Possible issues in the future are the screws (internally) that hold the cups to the headband. The plastic between the rods and the screw has a tendency to break.

Yeah, my girlfriend got a set as well when her Steelseries headset crapped out, and it did exactly that after a few months. The online shop where she bought it didn't want to give her a replacement and it has now been sent in for "repairs". I wonder how they plan to do that :rolleyes:

You can mount velourpads which are less 'sticky' to the skin when wearing them for longer periods.
You can also lower the clamping force when needed.

I've been looking at Brainwavez pads but have decided to not do any upgrades/modifications. The stock Samsons will be tolerable until I have the time and money to find a nicer alternative.

Thalis

Got some AKG K72 as a quick cheap replacement, but my girlfriend complained about the closed back construction. I bugs her that I don't even make the obligatory acknowledgment sounds when she talks to me...

May I ask how was the K72? Did you like how it performed?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
May I ask how was the K72?

A lot more comfortable than the Samson. It has a very flimsy solution for headband adjustment, but everything else feels super solid considering the price point.

Did you like how it performed?

I'm not a big fan of closed headphones, so I can't really comment without being biased. But again, considering how cheap they are, I can't think of anything obvious to complain about.

To be honest, I'm a pleb when it comes to headphones. I just want something that feels comfortable on my head, can take some abuse and have a reasonably inoffensive frequency response.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
May I ask how was the K72?
If I might.
The objective performance is bad. But they sound better than expected, nothing too horrible there and can be used without EQ. Frequency response is uneven and impulse response poor, but for casual listening they are fine for what they are. Though you can do better even for little money. Something like the HD 681 is way better, but desperately needs EQ as to not shred your eardrums with the piercing highs.

Thalis

A lot more comfortable than the Samson. It has a very flimsy solution for headband adjustment, but everything else feels super solid considering the price point.

I'm not a big fan of closed headphones, so I can't really comment without being biased. But again, considering how cheap they are, I can't think of anything obvious to complain about.

To be honest, I'm a pleb when it comes to headphones. I just want something that feels comfortable on my head, can take some abuse and have a reasonably inoffensive frequency response.

Didn't get too warm?

Thalis

If I might.
The objective performance is bad. But they sound better than expected, nothing too horrible there and can be used without EQ. Frequency response is uneven and impulse response poor, but for casual listening they are fine for what they are. Though you can do better even for little money. Something like the HD 681 is way better, but desperately needs EQ as to not shred your eardrums with the piercing highs.

Ok very interesting. I did try the K92 and I found it... so so. I was actually thinking more about shortening the long cord while testing it. In the end I went for the Senn HD280 Pro to compliment the K240 Mk2 (closed and open).

Top Bottom