• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

3125b

Major Contributor
Thanks, now I feel a lot better about buying another headphone I don't need :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, now I feel a lot better about buying another headphone I don't need :)

Rubbish- you need them all!

Don't let the doubt in. You're the sane one - I mean, if the rest of the world cant appreciate that a Beyer T1 1st gen and T1 2nd gen arent both welcome additions to a good headphone cabinet, that is their loss, no?

Some people dont even know the joys of endlessly EQing headphones , never quite being sure if this iteration is better than the last. The fools!

3125b

Major Contributor
I mean, if the rest of the world cant appreciate that a Beyer T1 1st gen and T1 2nd gen arent both welcome additions to a good headphone cabinet, that is their loss, no?
It's not actually that bad yet, I was just looking at a good deal for a used T90 :)
I kinda miss my 880 Edition, and the T90 should be a (better) replacement for that.

I also have:
- AKG K702 (daily driver for stationary use, bright sounding but very competent for the price)
- AKG K371 (usual mobile headphone, very good allrounder for a good price)
- HiFiMAN HE-35X (rarely used, uncommon in Germany wich is why I had to have it, can be fun)
- Ultimate Ears 4000 (my old mobile headphone, technically not too great and replaced by the K371, but it's still dear to me)

Headphones I used to have:
- Philips SHP 8000 (my first "real" headphones, not great overall)
- Old DT 990 (early 1990's maybe, got them for free and never used them)
- DT 880 Edition 250 Ohm (I broke them unfortunately, my first <100€ headphones, loved them)
- Creative Draco HS-850 (my first headset, looking back I can't fathom I used to use that thing, it's a crime against humanity)
- Sennheiser PC 151 (my second and last headset, actually not too bad, but crap cable)
- Also, I had many different in-ears, the best was the Mi Pro HD (cable lasted two weeks, but they sounded great) followed by the Superlux HD-381 F (super uncomfortable and flimsy though, wouldn't recommend).

So when I was younger, I just bought cheap stuff, none of wich was good. But I#m glad I didn't get into the hobby late and start out buying loads of expensive stuff, starting modestly has the advantage of keeping the spending on the hobby reasonably under control ... I hope :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not actually that bad yet, I was just looking at a good deal for a used T90 :)
I kinda miss my 880 Edition, and the T90 should be a (better) replacement for that.

I also have:
- AKG K702 (daily driver for stationary use, bright sounding but very competent for the price)
- AKG K371 (usual mobile headphone, very good allrounder for a good price)
- HiFiMAN HE-35X (rarely used, uncommon in Germany wich is why I had to have it, can be fun)
- Ultimate Ears 4000 (my old mobile headphone, technically not too great and replaced by the K371, but it's still dear to me)

Headphones I used to have:
- Philips SHP 8000 (my first "real" headphones, not great overall)
- Old DT 990 (early 1990's maybe, got them for free and never used them)
- DT 880 Edition 250 Ohm (I broke them unfortunately, my first <100€ headphones, loved them)
- Creative Draco HS-850 (my first headset, looking back I can't fathom I used to use that thing, it's a crime against humanity)
- Sennheiser PC 151 (my second and last headset, actually not too bad, but crap cable)
- Also, I had many different in-ears, the best was the Mi Pro HD (cable lasted two weeks, but they sounded great) followed by the Superlux HD-381 F (super uncomfortable and flimsy though, wouldn't recommend).

So when I was younger, I just bought cheap stuff, none of wich was good. But I#m glad I didn't get into the hobby late and start out buying loads of expensive stuff, starting modestly has the advantage of keeping the spending on the hobby reasonably under control ... I hope :)

Not nearly enough. You clearly have a life outside of this :facepalm:

doctorjuggles

I've been buying far too much stuff lately. My updated list:

Sennheiser HD800S; ZMF Eikon Ziricote; 64 Audio U18t; Noble K10U; Empire Ears Legend X Custom (currently at Itsfit Labs for re-shelling); Shure SE846, SE530 & SE115+; BLON BL-03; Sennheiser HD25-II & Shure SRH440 (both for DJing - one is a backup in case one fails); B&O Play H3; Bose TriPort IE

My favourites are the U18t, Eikon and the HD800S (but the Legend X will be up there once it returns assuming the reshelling goes well). K10U is also great for on-the-go house/techno listening.

Updating the above list to add a few more:
IEMs - MMR Thummim, Vision Ears ERLKöNIG, Custom Art FIBAE 7, Hidition NT6, Noble Katana, ItsFit Fusion, BLON-BL05, Sony WF-1000XM3 (sold the Noble K10U)
Headphones: Verum 1 (before the whole situation kicked off), Sony WH-1000XM3, Senn HD25 Anniversary Edition

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The T90 take the Beyer sound to a whole other level, and not in a good way, for me, at least. Out of the 4 Beyers I sold, the 880 was the better of the bunch, most even sounding. Wish I still had the 880s to try on the gear I have now compared to when I still owned them.
The T90 was like a treble drill in my skull, the 990's the same, but not as extreme. Every cymbal was as sharp as a razor to me with the T90.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Rubbish- you need them all!

Don't let the doubt in. You're the sane one - I mean, if the rest of the world cant appreciate that a Beyer T1 1st gen and T1 2nd gen arent both welcome additions to a good headphone cabinet, that is their loss, no?
Cabinet? You’re only serious about headphones when you have a walk-in closet for your headphones. Choosing the right one each day should never take less than an hour.

3125b

Major Contributor
The T90 was like a treble drill in my skull
I‘m aware, taking the highs back via EQ is no big deal, shouldn‘t impact overall performance. Without EQ, most Beyer headphones don‘t really sound that good to me, the only one I ever really liked was the 880 Edition. 990 and 1990 are shrill and bloated, Amiron dull and bloated and so on. Fixing something like 990 via EQ where you need to mess with every single band isn‘t ideal, but taking out a fairly narrow band just to tame the peak is not too bad. Plus I like bright headphones - I might share my impressions if I actually get the thing.

You’re only serious about headphones when you have a walk-in closet for your headphones.
Some people have a walk-in wardrobe, others ... that :)

odyo

I‘m aware, taking the highs back via EQ is no big deal, shouldn‘t impact overall performance. Without EQ, most Beyer headphones don‘t really sound that good to me, the only one I ever really liked was the 880 Edition. 990 and 1990 are shrill and bloated, Amiron dull and bloated and so on. Fixing something like 990 via EQ where you need to mess with every single band isn‘t ideal, but taking out a fairly narrow band just to tame the peak is not too bad. Plus I like bright headphones - I might share my impressions if I actually get the thing.

Some people have a walk-in wardrobe, others ... that :)
Upcoming T1.3 is interesting

mnemonix

A modest can for most occasions...

Open: AKG K601 - my first "good" headphones; I couldn't afford the K701 at the time but they've taught me what's good about open, neutral(ish) cans and I'm still listening to them now, even as I write this.

Closed: ATH-W10VTG - after owning several of AT's wooden phones including the W5000 this is the one I kept and the first that they made. Enjoyable sound signature, lovely to look at, putting them on feels like sinking into a big leather sofa and they make me smile. For sentimental reasons alone I wouldn't get rid of them.

IEM: Shure SE215 - great performance/price, enjoyable sound, good isolation, my "in public" and cycling phones of which I've somehow ended up with 2 pairs. I suspect they're breeding.

BT/noise cancelling: Sony MDR1000X - great noise cancelling, decent sound but not exactly audiophile. Office use mainly.

As for upgrades, after many years with these I'm currently thinking of Stax L700s to replace the AKGs for ultimate home, hifi listening since circumstances preclude a decent speaker set up.

W10.jpg
K601.jpg

Last edited:

ripvw

Forum Donor
In chronological order:

Koss Electrostatics (USA) circa mid-70's
Stax Electrostatics (Japan) circa late 70's - their top-of-the-line at the time along with their best solid state amp
AKG K701 from Austria
Sennheiser HD600 from Ireland
and finally Etymotic Research ER4SR (USA) which is overall the best headphone I've ever owned and an absolute steal at the typical sub-$300 price

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er4-micropro-earphones-373.html

using the smallest Comply foam eartips with them:

https://www.complyfoam.com/products/ts-100/

Tachyon88

HD6xx
LCD2C
HD800s

So im starting to really like the HD800s. I went back to the lcd2c after a while and loved that big warm bass, but really missed that clarity and sound stage. The Bass is not bad on the HD800s, just different. I think I'm starting to like the hd800s more than the audezee though. It takes me a long time to draw a conclusion of what I like and the differences of what I'm hearing. Im pretty casual when it comes to this stuff. Who knows though, maybe I will have a different conclusion months from now ;p

Question, is it possible to make a planar with hd6xx sound signature ? Would it not be possible because the sound signature comes from in part by it being a dynamic driver ?

My perfect headphone would be the hd6xx sound signature with planar bass and the sound stage of the hd800s.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Question, is it possible to make a planar with hd6xx sound signature ? Would it not be possible because the sound signature comes from in part by it being a dynamic driver ?

According to some 'perfect' EQ will get you there.
In reality you can get them closer in tonal balance but the other aspects (certainly weight and comfort) will never change.
Because of the other special traits it is best to EQ the HD800 to the sound you want and be done with it.
You can never get the HD6XX to have the same sound stage as the HD800. You can widen the soundstage with electronic/software wizardry but not the same.

Reactions: PSO

North_Sky

Major Contributor

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
let's see...
due to different circumstances i'm down to only 4 atm (sorted by preferred listening experience):

• Ollo audio S4
  • Beyer Dynamic DT880 (600)
  • Drop/Hifiman 4xx
  • Drop/AKG 7xx
i hope i'll be able to get my hands on a pair of Quad Era's soon, i really miss some good planars (sold off the LCD2c's earlier this year to get the Era's, but priorities shifted)

MSTARK

Most to least used:

•Sennheiser HD700 (workhorse)
•Audeze iSine10 (portable favorites)
•Aeon2 C (all-rounder+ comfort)
•Audeze LCDX (scotch companion)
•Fostex TH-X00 (nice cans/bad wire)
•AKG K702 ( needs bass boost+pads. OK 4 Classical. Decent comfort)
•Stax lambda pro system (Vintage. Old school Stax sound and “comfort”)

edit: I didn’t list IEM or Noise Canceling “headphones”. Not my cup of tea. Also no ranking as I like them all in one way or the other.

Last edited:

Tachyon88

According to some 'perfect' EQ will get you there.
In reality you can get them closer in tonal balance but the other aspects (certainly weight and comfort) will never change.
Because of the other special traits it is best to EQ the HD800 to the sound you want and be done with it.
You can never get the HD6XX to have the same sound stage as the HD800. You can widen the soundstage with electronic/software wizardry but not the same.

Oh, I did not mean specifically the lcd2c, just planar type driver in general. Like If sennheiser wanted to make a planar hd6xx, I was just wondering if that could be done or if the physical difference in drivers would prevent it.

I've have indeed been playing with EQ on the HD800s, its a very versatile headphone in my opinion.
Have you listened to the empyrean ? What are you thoughts compared to the HD800/s if you have ? Open to anyone.

Syrup

Shure 1540 + Alpha pads plugged in tidal master>audirvana (or voice meter potato) to smsl m500. Life is good

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Oh, I did not mean specifically the lcd2c, just planar type driver in general. Like If sennheiser wanted to make a planar hd6xx, I was just wondering if that could be done or if the physical difference in drivers would prevent it.

Sure, it would be easy for them to make a planar driver. There are lots of start-ups making their own driver. Making a planar driver is much easier than a dynamic driver.One can easily make a small planar driver (30mm diameter for instance).

Have you listened to the empyrean ?

Not yet, still plan too. Judging from the plots its probably not for me, too 'laidback' and 'warm' I reckon.

What are you thoughts compared to the HD800 if you have ? .

Own HD800 and I haven't found many headphones that can compete with it on many fronts, that is with proper EQ. I also own planars, but you need expensive ones to come near it (with EQ) when it comes to specific traits it has.

Top Bottom