• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi, Have any of you guys tried the Philips Fidelio X2?

Still own this X2HR (is not exactly the same as the original X2)
They are quite different from the HE400 (the HE400i or the HE400S ?) these differ substantially

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazon just repackaging returned products and selling them to others. That's the problem with them.
For me this is an inevitable consequence of people who buy several things to try then return the ones they don't like.

What else is a vendor supposed to do?

Reactions: PSO

Nango

Major Contributor
Hi,

Have any of you guys tried the Philips Fidelio X2? (open backs 50 mm driver). They reproduce the auditory dynamism of the bass & punch of percussive music comparably satisfactory . The only other open back, mid priced, headphones l've owned that produced a discernable "bass drum a like" low end were some hifiman planars. I think they were HD400's, though not as light & comfortable as the X2's.
I like the X2 not for music or critical listening, I think it is only good for bass-based action games and movies.

Bongoyep

First & foremost l'm describing the X2's, which l've listened too over a few years now, in the context of producing electronic music genre's, many of which use the play off between low to mid frequencies ( e.g., producers using compression etc) to produce the auditory perception that has many terms.e.g., " groove", " funk" etc.

Also noted that maverickronin perceptions was that the X2's high end stood out too much, though that has not been my personal experience with the X2's.

To quote"
Bass

"The X2 has a quite tasteful bass boot".

Whilst aspects maybe " boosted" within the entire produced freq spectrum ( housing acoustics?) , the low-end production of the X2's is merely physics, e.g., 50 mm drivers. I.e., a larger dynamic driver surface area if effectively powered can physically produce lower frequencies.

To quote " It has an impressive amount of rumble for an open dynamic driver headphone going deeper and stronger than the HD650 but it doesn’t reach the level of low and sub bass an ortho is capable of."

That's why, for electronic music, l prefer the X2's to the HD650. Are there any ortho headphones at this price point & weight?( 400 grams on my kitchen scales) .

"The bass boost does mask a bit of detail in the mids, which is an intentional tradeoff, but it doesn’t intrude upon them and thicken vocals. Overall I count this as a strength for the X2."

Yep, or if we removed the bass " boost" the mids & highs would stand out. I.e., in many genre's of electronic music the low end is produced to be 'present with authority'. Having wrote that, the koss portapro are a fun ' on the go portable headphone', they just don't, can't go as low as the X2's. Though due to the heuristical nature of the human's auditory systems switching from the X2's to the portapro's can be a refreshing change. E.g., Bass has less directional information, therefore humans tend to focus less on the lower frequencies due to evolutionary adaptive psychological traits.

To quote " The HD650 while slightly dark, is hardly a basshead ‘phone. It doesn’t go as deep as the X2 or hit as hard, but it is tighter and better defined. The HD650 makes a different tradeoff, for accurate sound over accurate feel"

Interested perception. Maybe the HD650's suit classical, rock, pop etc whilst the X2's suit House ( deep,tech etc) music specifically due to the difference in driver size ( all other variables being of decent audio quality).

Last edited:

Bongoyep

I like the X2 not for music or critical listening, I think it is only good for bass-based action games and movies.

What other open back dynamic headphone ,within the same price range, do you suggest competes with the X2 for low end production. FYI, it won't have a smaller driver.

Last edited:

Bongoyep

Still own this X2HR (is not exactly the same as the original X2)
They are quite different from the HE400 (the HE400i or the HE400S ?) these differ substantially

Yep they were HE400. Sounded very good but too " clunky" to wear for anything but sedentary listenning. The X2's are as " clunky" looking though noticeably lighter on the head.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are well acquainted with decently setup bookshelf speakers already, I would suggest you give the Raal SR1a a listen. They are open by design, so will not be a like for like comparison with any closed headphones.

Its a radically different listening experience to typical ToTL headphones you might have tried.

Demoed them twice and even had a little A/B with Jotunheim R and RAAL HS1A amp. Definitely speaker like tonality, huge soundstage that is well coherent in bringing the instruments together by having incredible amount of depth. Wish it had the rumble in the lowest octave but it’s a physical limitation of open baffle design unfortunately

tdockweiler

Koss Pro DJ 100 - Tony Bennett edition

This is really just an early DJ200 I think.
This is by far one of my all time favorite headphones, but only with the M50 pads.
In the last 20 years i've probably owned 20 of these. I prefer it to the Shure SRH-840 and old M50.

Sennheiser Franken HD-650

I took my old HD-580 frame and installed HD-650 drivers and the HD-650 grill.
Does it measure different still? Possibly due to less clamp.
Rarely gets any use these days. Sounds sort of muffled at times, but just barely.
I never was a fan of the HD-600, but do like this a lot.

AKG Q701 bass modded

Probably my #2 all time favorite headphone and has gotten the most use.
The bass mod really improves the sound of this and it will NEVER be reversed.
My only issue with this is that the comfort is very good, but not great.
It does make some creaking sounds if you have glasses.

Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250 ohm)

By far my favorite headphone between all versions of the DT-770, 880 and 990.
I actually find the DT-880 too boring (and not just because of my music!).
Weird fact, I can't use the DT-880 without pain because the cups are too shallow. I don't even have big ears!
Another weird fact, I had a DT-770 600 ohm that was one of the most neutral headphones I ever heard.
Must have been a defect!

Anyway, this DT-990 gets the most use NOW out of anything I own. I love it.
Mine doesn't have excessive bass (not much clamp) or too much treble. It's perfect to me.
I love the slightly extra low bass it has over the HD-650 and Q701.

What amazes me about this headphone is how dramatically different it sounds between tracks.
I don't experience this much with the HD-650 or Q701 (but did on the K712!).

AKG K400 EP/LP

With the Q701 there is no reason to listen to these.
I don't find them to be anything special and are severely lacking in bass.
I actually scored an EP new in box on Amazon for about $50 a few years ago.
Box smelled like it had been in someones garage for 20 years though!

PS I wish I still owned the K601. I preferred that over the OLD K701, but not the Q701.

Southall-1998

This is by far one of my all time favorite headphones, but only with the M50 pads.
In the last 20 years i've probably owned 20 of these. I prefer it to the Shure SRH-840 and old M50.

Rarely gets any use these days. Sounds sort of muffled at times, but just barely.

AKG Q701 bass modded

Weird fact, I can't use the DT-880 without pain because the cups are too shallow. I don't even have big ears!
Another weird fact, I had a DT-770 600 ohm that was one of the most neutral headphones I ever heard.
Must have been a defect!

Mine doesn't have excessive bass (not much clamp) or too much treble. It's perfect to me.

What amazes me about this headphone is how dramatically different it sounds between tracks.

AKG K400 EP/LP

PS I wish I still owned the K601. I preferred that over the OLD K701, but not the Q701.

I enjoyed reading your write-up.

I know you can still get DT-990 Pro (250ohm) new.

How old are your 990 Pro's? What headphone amp do you use?

Were your 880's the 600 ohm version?

S.

Monte

Zero Audio Doppio - used at work for about 4 years. The thin cord is very robust. Noisy work environment does them no good. They need a quiet environment. Being small and having a longer cord than the P1, they were the most suited for work.

MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - used mostly with the E1DA 9038S or PowerDAC as it is the only headphone I have that easily converts between balanced and unbalanced

Grado HP1000 - one of the original Grado drivers developed the grackle that I could not remedy, so I replaced them with Elleven Acoustica P1. Not happy with the Grado foam pads with the new drivers. I masking taped the sides and thought they sounded better. Will replace the pads eventually.

tdockweiler

I enjoyed reading your write-up.

I know you can still get DT-990 Pro (250ohm) new.

How old are your 990 Pro's? What headphone amp do you use?

Were your 880's the 600 ohm version?

S.

The DT-990 Pro was purchased new by me about 2-3 years ago. Loved them ever since and could easily stick with these as my only headphone. They are an absolute steal IMO when they are often on sale for $130 or so.

One regret I have had when I once had a headphone addiction was that I purchased too many varieties of the DT-770, 880 and 990. I think I tried them all. When I say that, I mean 32ohm, 250ohm and 600ohm etc. I know some will say here that they sound the same, but I think they may measure slightly different.

My 2nd favorite might be the DT-770 Pro 80, but that had massive amounts of low bass. Way too much for me really.

Also read there are some DT-770 600 ohm versions out there that are a bass monster.

Right now I use the Schiit Magni 3+ and love it for all my headphones. I picked that over the Heresy and don't regret it at all.

For the last 8 years and still today I also use the Headroom Micro Amp. Has tons of power and drives everything i've thrown at it. Transparent IMO but never saw measurements. It was my old upgrade from the terrible Asgard 1.

Micro Amp sounds extremely similar to the Magni 3+, but for some reason the Magni 3+ makes my brain think there is a wider soundstage. Bizarre right? I wonder what changes cause my brain to think this? In a blind test, this is the only change I would notice maybe.

I noticed this on my DJ100 and DT-990 Pro when I upgraded to the Magni 3+.
Makes the DT-990 Pro and DJ100 almost sound like open headphones.

Southall-1998

The DT-990 Pro was purchased new by me about 2-3 years ago. Loved them ever since and could easily stick with these as my only headphone. They are an absolute steal IMO when they are often on sale for $130 or so.

One regret I have had when I once had a headphone addiction was that I purchased too many varieties of the DT-770, 880 and 990. I think I tried them all. When I say that, I mean 32ohm, 250ohm and 600ohm etc. I know some will say here that they sound the same, but I think they may measure slightly different.

My 2nd favorite might be the DT-770 Pro 80, but that had massive amounts of low bass. Way too much for me really.

Also read there are some DT-770 600 ohm versions out there that are a bass monster.

Right now I use the Schiit Magni 3+ and love it for all my headphones. I picked that over the Heresy and don't regret it at all.

For the last 8 years and still today I also use the Headroom Micro Amp. Has tons of power and drives everything i've thrown at it. Transparent IMO but never saw measurements. It was my old upgrade from the terrible Asgard 1.

Micro Amp sounds extremely similar to the Magni 3+, but for some reason the Magni 3+ makes my brain think there is a wider soundstage. Bizarre right? I wonder what changes cause my brain to think this? In a blind test, this is the only change I would notice maybe.

I noticed this on my DJ100 and DT-990 Pro when I upgraded to the Magni 3+.
Makes the DT-990 Pro and DJ100 almost sound like open headphones.

Thanks for getting back.

I myself have owned the DT-770 Pro 80. Yes, the bass is way too much for my taste. Treble was a tad hot. Also found them a bit claustrophobic.

I imagine the DT-990 Pro 250 is more balanced/open sounding etc.

S.

NDC

Currently:
  • Sennheiser HD58x
  • Moondrop Starfield
Ordered:
  • Hifiman HE4xx
  • Etymotic ER2XR

pluplog

MrSpeaker's Mad Dogs and Etymotic's ER4SR. When I switch to EDM/bassy stuff I turn on EQ (oratory's) but keep it off for more mellow material.

codyjayme

AKG Q701 bass modded

Must have been a defect!

AKG K400 EP/LP

Don't you find the DT990 to be too treble heavy? Usually when I make adjustments on mixes with them, I end up correcting the highs because I tend to muffle things when i use the dt990. I find the DT770 more balanced in the treble but still a tiny bit much for my taste.
Also the treble boost shows up in graphs such as this: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beyerdynamic/dt-990-pro
What do you think?

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I had the X2, sold them for the X1 which was said to be even better, now I don't really remember the differences :facepalm:
One of my favorite cans for sure.

Grawl

I started with the Sennheiser HD600 and later added the Philips Fidelio 2XHR because it was on sale and I was wondering how they'd sound. I've ordered the HD6XX on Massdrop to replace my HD600.

Then I switched from my Schiit stack (Magni/Modi) to the Topping D90/A90, but that felt like an overkill. What other way to remedy that than with a brand new headphone? I just need to look into another cable, because the stock one is horribly stubborn (it wants to twist and turn).

e51325e7-c146-4748-9191-7fcc0bc446ea.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Nice, the Clear seems to be the consensus improved version of the Elear and Elex. I had both an Elear and an Elegia on hand and while neither completely worked for me, I would really like to spend some time with a Clear.

Top Bottom