• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

TungstenC

How does the Er2se compare to the Er4sr?
The ER4SR sounds more "realistic" to me, the vocals have more presence (1kHz-2kHz) while ER2SE are more laid back and tad bit warmer.(could be from the slightly recessed highs)

The size is the same on both but body finishes are different, a matte on the ER2SE, a fine brushed finish on the ER4SR. The stock cable on the ER4SR is braided/twisted above the Y-split and a bit longer, below the Y-split the sheathing is the same. (I personally like the ER4's longer cable)

*Do note that they were both inserted fully and that one's ears will differ from another so your mileage may vary.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Mine too, but undecided between this and the HE6SE...

Only reason its on my buy list is because I had a good audition of it at CanJam. I like them a lot after trying so many others at CanJam and my local reference headphone stores. And of course, the price isn't too ridiculous (though still plenty expensive) as opposed to many other ToTL headphones on the market either.

Never tried the HE6SE, so cannot compare them unfortunately.

Veri

Master Contributor
After my disappointing purchase and prompt return of the AKG K361 headphones which I intended to use at work, I purchased a store clearance unit of Audeze Sine on-ear headphones for €200. I thought eh, for work these must be good.

THEY ARE SUBLIME. I use them with the cipher cable and this oratory1990 profile for the cipher-EQ'ed Sine. It's just ridiculous how well them 'slam' and hit me with something like a wall of sound, while still sounding detailed and awesome. For a closed headphone they sound so good! EQ'ed they get close to the €999 Hifiman Ananda, possibly with better defined bass.. :)

So basically TL;DR while searching for something "suitable" for at work, these are some of the best headphones I've yet heard. I use HD650 and ATH-AD2000 at home which both sound very natural with vocals, piano and acoustic. But for all-around, modern, EDM etc the Sine take the cake.
Hats off to Audeze on this. It appears the LCD-1 were not as impressive. Perhaps a future closed-back LCD-1 will be better? I highly recommend the Sine if you can get one at a fair price.

EDIT: and oh yeah these are on-ear so comfort is not the best. I'll try the 3D-printed earpad adapter route with MSR7 earpads and see if it still sounds as good. Will improve comfort by a lot, at the least :cool:

urfaust

After my disappointing purchase and prompt return of the AKG K361 headphones which I intended to use at work, I purchased a store clearance unit of Audeze Sine on-ear headphones for €200. I thought eh, for work these must be good.

THEY ARE SUBLIME. I use them with the cipher cable and this oratory1990 profile for the cipher-EQ'ed Sine. It's just ridiculous how well them 'slam' and hit me with something like a wall of sound, while still sounding detailed and awesome. For a closed headphone they sound so good! EQ'ed they get close to the €999 Hifiman Ananda, possibly with better defined bass.. :)

So basically TL;DR while searching for something "suitable" for at work, these are some of the best headphones I've yet heard. I use HD650 and ATH-AD2000 at home which both sound very natural with vocals, piano and acoustic. But for all-around, modern, EDM etc the Sine take the cake.
It's funny it seems like you describe the isine 20, the sub basses are surreal sometimes with it and the soundstage also (not an empty word for once here), it must be they tune their planars to have all have a similar signature.

On a side note, i would be curious to see how their cipher cable performs on a ASR Sinad test, as it's a dac/amp.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
THEY ARE SUBLIME. I use them with the cipher cable and this oratory1990 profile for the cipher-EQ'ed Sine. It's just ridiculous how well them 'slam' and hit me with something like a wall of sound, while still sounding detailed and awesome.
For further improvements, you could run some sweeps with SineGen to sort out the kinks in the treble. Measurements show a peak at 10-11 kHz (which may or may not be there with your unit and your ears) that oratory's EQ doesn't address.
Note that these headphones are highly sensitive to driver placement at higher frequencies, so try to wear them properly when running the sweeps ;)
For a closed headphone they sound so good! EQ'ed they get close to the €999 Hifiman Ananda, possibly with better defined bass.. :)
They should sound better if the FR is more accurate post-EQ.
EDIT: and oh yeah these are on-ear so comfort is not the best. I'll try the 3D-printed earpad adapter route with MSR7 earpads and see if it still sounds as good. Will improve comfort by a lot, at the least :cool:
Be careful when changing earpads. It can change the sound dramatically, for better or worse:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900mk2.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900mk2TH610Pads.pdf

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just curious ...
What headphone(s) do you currently own ?
Which one(s) is(are) used the most, or is your favorite ?
Far, far too many. Nearly divorce inducing.

Senn 600, 800
Audeze XC, LCD2C (I've swapped the grilles /cups so you tell me what I've actually got going on)
Denon 7000
Beyer t1 (2nd gen), dt1990
Hifiman 560 (1st gen with the horrid connectors), 4xx
Meze noir (possibly the only person who can't use them, sound like cheap supermarket phones)
Fostex t60
Mr S ether cx
Akg K701
Grado gs1000, ps1000
Audio technica w5000 (very, very odd!)
A box of IEM

I would rescue the HD800, lcd xc, ether and at least one of the grado from a burning building before the cat.

Wafflesocks

Currently rocking hd6xx and on the hunt for somthing different (just like trying stuff) I like that almost everything sounds decent with these.

Also have:
tin t2's
Sure 210's (how these have lasted this long amazes me)

Have had: (in no particular order)
Grado 80
Grado 125e
Technics rpdj1210 (first okay headphones, may be an earlier model)
Sony mdr-7506

HemiRick

I have only 1 pair of wired earbuds and have not listened to them for months....I only listen to my speakers.

Veri

Master Contributor
For further improvements, you could run some sweeps with SineGen to sort out the kinks in the treble. Measurements show a peak at 10-11 kHz (which may or may not be there with your unit and your ears) that oratory's EQ doesn't address.
Note that these headphones are highly sensitive to driver placement at higher frequencies, so try to wear them properly when running the sweeps ;)

They should sound better if the FR is more accurate post-EQ.

Be careful when changing earpads. It can change the sound dramatically, for better or worse:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900mk2.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900mk2TH610Pads.pdf
Audeze Sine stock vs MSR7 pads: :)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Over ear headphones
Focal Elear
HD6XX
HX58X
Sennheiser HD-1 Over Ear Wired
1More Triple Driver Over Ear

And some IEMs which I use on occasion.

Been debating about ordering a K712 Pro and then ditching the HD58X or HD6XX.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hahaha. I actually quite like them. Wish I'd never sold my pair. They are very different though
Odd isn't necessarily bad. Let's just say I'm still waiting for that magic moment.

GokieKS

Currently owned:

Sennheiser HD 600 - The very first pair of truly great headphones I ever bought (for ~$200 circa 2004). Headband padding and ear pads have both been replaced twice (I think), but they feel and sound as great as ever - a decade and a half and multiple thousands of dollars spent on other headphones later, they're still the default headphones I go for. If everything (sound quality/comfort/value) is considered in the equation, I would honestly consider these to be quite possibly the best headphones ever made.

Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 "Sovereign" - The absolute most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (the 3D Wing system works wonderfully for my head), and with the cherry wood cups, probably the prettiest I've ever seen. Sound quality wise they're quite good for my music tastes (really nice for female vocals), but the bass is beyond anemic, so definitely not for everyone.

Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Purpleheart - I definitely prefer open backed headphones to closed, but these were very well received, and also looked gorgeous, so I had to get it. Sound quality is good, even if I find the bass just a tad overwhelming for my taste (I'm very much not a basshead, as the ATH-W1000 can attest to). More annoying though is that it's just more fatiguing than most of my other headphones, so I can't stand using them for extended periods of time.

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium (250 Ohm) - They're.. fine. Nothing unusually good or terribly bad. Out of the trio of entry-level Beyers (DT770/880/990) the 880 are definitely my favorite, but they're no HD 600s. But for the price (I got them during a sale for like $120 or something) they're perfectly decent headphones.

Massdrop x AKG K7XXX Red Edition - I hate the headband on these. So much that honestly nothing else about it matters, because I can't stand wearing them for longer than maybe half an hour to an hour max. Looks fairly nice though, I guess? I really should just sell them...

Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor - I've never owned any other custom IEMs so I don't really have anything to compare this to, but they do sound better than any universal IEM I've ever used (as one would expect). My main annoyance with these is that one side juts out of my ear slightly more than the other, which means it's not quite comfortable to wear while laying with my head on the side on a pillow, but I'm not sure if that's an issue with the mold I took or their manufacturing. I will say UE's customer service is great though.

Audeze Mobius - Got in on these during the IndieGogo campaign when it was $250, so got quite a nice deal compared to their normal pricing. I don't really have much to say about them though, because I've gotten very little use from them, as I play very little games these days.

Philips Fidelio L1 - Used as portable headphones and occasional headset for work for a while. The headband leather padding's stitching came apart and I had to replace the earpads within a couple of ears, so it didn't quite stand up to the abuse of being thrown around in a backpack (albeit in the carrying pouch provided) very well. Sound quality was pretty good though, and the inclusion of a proper length cable with an in-line mic was nice.

Sony WH-1000XM2 - ANC headphones for traveling and also headset for work laptop at the office. Picked over Bose ANC models mostly because of the touch control functionality, especially press-to-temporarily-disable-ANC. Sound quality wise I also find them a bit better than the Bose QC35, but still a far cry from my proper (open) full size headphones. But it does what I need.

Sennheiser HD 598 SE - I use these with a Mod Mic as headset for my work laptop when working from home. Have not really used them enough for music to truly judge the sound quality, but they're very comfortable (as expected) and so work well for my purposes.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I'm on a budget so I won't be adding anything interesting to this thread.
  • for travel/Bluetooth: Sony WH-H900N I got on super discount from Costco.
  • for home/wired: HiFiMan HE400i I got on discount from HiFiMan.
I would say your choices are very interesting. You have a more limited budget than others on this thread but I'll warrant (or at least hope) your enjoyment per $ of disposable income spent far exceeds most here. Cant speak about the Sony but I have the 4xx variant of the Hifiman and they are very nice to listen to.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Hats off to Audeze on this. It appears the LCD-1 were not as impressive. Perhaps a future closed-back LCD-1 will be better? I highly recommend the Sine if you can get one at a fair price.

They are great on ears, but placement is kind of tricky, for me at least, to get the best sound. And they do clamp pretty tight, gotta get used to them.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I would say your choices are very interesting. You have a more limited budget than others on this thread but I'll warrant (or at least hope) your enjoyment per $ of disposable income spent far exceeds most here. Cant speak about the Sony but I have the 4xx variant of the Hifiman and they are very nice to listen to.

Thanks. The Sony's are solid for what I use them for:
  1. Noise cancelling (coffee shops, airports/planes, etc.)
  2. Bluetooth.
The Sony iOS app lets you do some basic EQ so I dialed them in to what I prefer. I haven't experienced any uncomfortable ANC, and overall I'd say they strike a good balance between ANC and SQ. Not phenomenal in either one but pretty good in both.

So far I really enjoy the HE400i's. I couldn't pass them up for the price, and since they're my first quality pair of headphones they're my reference standard. I've even learned to appreciate the fact that they're fairly true to the source, and as such I've realized how bad some of recordings are that I listen to. (For example ...)

headwhacker

Forum Donor

On ears will never be comfortable. No matter how good it sounds, it just pisses me of that I can't listen for a long time. placement is also a hit or miss. Overall, it's just a hassle. I settled with Sony WH-1000XM3 as my go to mobile headphone. It's got the sound, comfort and features to boot.

Top Bottom