• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

nm4711

My Headphones in the buying order:

Superlux HD-681EVO
Beyerdynamic DT770
C-Ear X

Fregly

Yes I've concluded I don't like the Harman Curve. Sounds really colored to me.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Looks like trickery... the plot is 'corrected' for amplitude loss to better show tonal balance changes. ;)

Actual effect of the filter:

stock-hp50-vs-filtered-hp50.png

Last edited:

BubbaJay

Currently I own,

Klipsch HP-3
Sendy Aiva
Audeze LCD-2C
Focal Elear
Audioquest Nightowl & Nighthawk
Sennheiser HD700
Hifiman HE-400i
Portable headphone - V-Moda Crossfade wireless

dajczu

My headphones:
beyerdynamic dtx 910
takstar 82 pro
koss ksc75x
sennheiser hd600

Powered by JDS labs atom and topping d10.
But mostly these days i listening on pair off mackie mr624 powered speakers.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just ordered the NAD HP50 after having read mitchco glowing review ... Hasn't received it yet... Will be a few weeks...

pevzi

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7
Still have a love-hate relationship with these. Hate the unbearably creaky plastic and the midrange harshness that becomes too much with some tracks. Love their airy, clean and effortless sound that doesn't sacrifice bass quality as well. Constantly oscillating between considering to get rid of them and falling back in love with everything they do.

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
These are the headphones that I use at work. They feel somewhat muddy to me, perhaps due to the upper-bass hump or bass distortion. Still pretty dynamic and natural sounding, especially at higher volumes. Probably shouldn't have skimped on money and bought M50x instead.

Audio-Technica ATH-A1000Z
Bought them almost on impulse when I was in Japan. To my dismay, after some time I've spent with them I still can't hear a single thing they would do better than MSR7. The mids sound congested, the bass is not nuanced, the treble is "grainy", the soundstage is non-existent, and there's some peak in the upper mids that makes vocals really fatiguing to me. They're also very sensitive to how they seal on your head, so glasses are a no-no unless you want the bass to get completely ruined. The only thing I thought was good about them was their solid build (they certainly don't feel cheap like MSR7 do), but after a couple of months one of the cups became loose due to threadlocker on the screw failing to do its job, so the only apparent upside went out the window. There's some hope that they'll blossom with a better amp, but I doubt that FiiO E10K that I'm currently using is that bad at driving them.

The favorite one? Obviously, MSR7 for now, but I'm on the lookout for something that will finally make me feel satisfied with what I hear.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Headphones in my current collection:

Sennheiser HD 569
NAD VISO HP50
Audioquest Nighthawk
ZMF Eikon
Sennheiser HD 700
Massdrop X Sennheiser HD 6XX
Sennheiser HD 598
Massdrop X HiFiMan HE4XX
Massdrop X AKG K7XX

Boy, these things really pile up over the years!

Last edited:

pevzi

Try a parametric equalizer.

Thanks. Just installed Equalizer APO and discovered that the most offending region on MSR7 was in fact not in the mids, but at around 10k. Dialing it down by 4.5 db made them sound a lot smoother. Guess I'll keep them for now.

It feels embarrassing now that I never even tried this option before. I think I've been avoiding any realtime sound processing utilities for some possibly superstitious reasons that they may degrade sound or something. :rolleyes:

thomasjast

Current lineup:

Sennheiser HD 58X
Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT
Sony MDR-7506
Grado SR80i
Apple AirPods
Apple EarPods

pevzi

they may degrade sound or something
Quick update. Just discovered that the "Graphic EQ" module did add some kind of rattling in the subbass. Granted, I noticed it while listening to pure sine waves and not actual music, but now I know that my fears weren't entirely unfounded and it may actually cause some unwanted noise to appear. Replacing the Graphic EQ with a couple of Peaking Filters seems to have fixed it though.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quick update. Just discovered that the "Graphic EQ" module did add some kind of rattling in the subbass. Granted, I noticed it while listening to pure sine waves and not actual music, but now I know that my fears weren't entirely unfounded and it may actually cause some unwanted noise to appear. Replacing the Graphic EQ with a couple of Peaking Filters seems to have fixed it though.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ows-sampler-dacs-da-filters.7944/#post-192869

Nango

Major Contributor
I assume you mean K7XX?

How do you find them? I can’t dodge the feeling that I need to try them, but it’s a lot of money to get them in Canada.

They are cheap in Europe, Amazon.de listed at US-$130-140, plus shipping lets say US-$40-50 that is around half the price in the U.S.

pevzi

Yeah, I know about this. I made sure it didn't exceed 0 db and even tried to apply -3 db more preamplification but it didn't help.
It doesn't even sound like distortion to me (or it may be some other kind of distortion I don't know of). It's more like subtle "sparkling" that doesn't seem to correlate directly with the frequency of the signal (but does get modulated somewhat). It can be clearly heard e.g. with <40 Hz or >15 kHz sine waves but disappears in some other ranges.

Name

Denon AH-D2000
Sennheiser HD6XX
Philips SHP9500
Denon AH-C300

Sold: JVC HA-S2000

Top Bottom