• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Sir-Murphius

I'm new to the higher end headphone world and started out with the AKG K702s which I returned after a week of trying. Switched to the Hifiman Sundaras and like them so much more. Soundstage was crazy with the 702s but other than that the Sundaras are so much better.

Tene

The ones I own at the moment:

HD598 => The most comfortable pair I own. Pretty forgiving, sounds nice with not so well recorded / mastered stuff.
HP151 => The best "open like" experience I've heard from a closed back pair of headphones.
HD600 => Neutrality king for me, the reference for (mostly) unaltered sound.
JP1 + Yaxi stPad2 => Guilty pleasure :D The sound isn't technically great and the default pads are trash. But I do like how they sound with the stPad2.
MMX300 => So-so bass, harsh highs, recessed mids, I don't like these much.
K712 => More coherent imaging and soundstage as compared to K702 or HD598 (no hole or tunnel), fun to listen to and great for gaming.
Sundara => An "all-around" king. It does well with everything as long as it's well recorded (hope they won't die anytime soon).
SR-207 => Might sound thin for some, but I do love this ethereal sound.

My favorites are HD600, K712, Sundara and SR-207, they all have their own qualities. The one pair I like the least is the MMX300 (good mic saves them).
I want to try the HD58x but the divergences in production (as noted by @solderdude) scare me a little, I'll wait to get more informations.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
KEF Space One (the original, wired version)
KEF M400
KEF M200
NAD Viso HP50
Koss Pro4S
Denon AH-D1000
Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee shipping today or tomorrow, I think.

I've never heard Sennheiser headphones before, so I really don't know what to expect from those lol.

I love my KEF headphones, they sound very much like KEF speakers (I own plenty and have heard many more through the years haha).

The NAD HP50s do have a similar kind of "speaker sound," but they don't do explosive dynamics very well compared to the KEF models I own, bass is muddier and not as extended, and there is an odd coloration that shows itself most on some female voices (Kathleen Battle and a few other sopranos do not sound like themselves!), so I think they are overrated. Or perhaps they don't have good quality control, and I got a bad set, since so many seem to rave about them. Most people don't listen to the music I do, so it could be that the worst flaws don't show up in their listening like they do with mine.

KEF Space One is my favorite of my headphones. I got them for $99 from NewEgg on Black Friday. Every genre of music sounds fantastic on them, although 99% of my listening is classical music, with the other 1% being Mariah Carey, Chris Isaak, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, and Patti Page. I have tested Heart, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Blue Öyster Cult, Metallica, and some other hard rock and heavy metal, and they all sound fine, so I'd classify these headphones as great all-rounders. They are over-ear headphones, but they're a bit on the small side, so that may be an issue for some. The pads press a little on the bottom of my earlobes, but it's not uncomfortable for me. Switching between using these or my KEF LS50s at my desk isn't jarring, so if you own and enjoy the LS50, you might check these headphones out. NewEgg still has periodic $99 sales on them. These are the wired version, NOT the newer wireless model. I never use the noise cancelling feature. Isolation is fine without it, in my opinion.

The KEF M400 on-ear sounds wonderful, but I don't recommend them to others as there is a common issue with the wiring for the left driver, I got mine for $79 a couple of years ago on Black Friday.

The KEF M200 in-ears sound fantastic, but I discovered that I really loathe having anything sealed in my ears, so I haven't used them since my initial test. Fortunately, I won them, so I wasn't out any money haha!

I bought the Koss to have something sturdy that I could take out of the house if I wished, their sound is more than adequate for their purpose.

The Denons are older than dirt (15 years old, maybe more?), I bought them thinking I might need them for nighttime listening in an apartment years ago, but the neighbors were all loud and rude, so I never worried too much about being quiet, so the headphones didn't get much use.

My headphone amp is the JDS Labs Atom, and I've been extremely happy with it.

Edited to add: my Sennheiser HD58X Jubillees arrived about an hour ago. Testing with favorite operatic sopranos first: Leontyne Price, Anna Moffo, and Kathleen Battle so far, and all sound like themselves haha! So that's a relief. JDS Labs Atom on high gain, at 1:00 position (with the KEF Space Ones, I use the Atom on low gain, at 2:00 for classical). First impression is that the KEFs are more detailed with singers slightly more forward on the 'stage.' Bass is tighter and more extended on the KEFs, and there is some muddiness/congestion in complex orchestral music with the Sennheisers, but it's not too bad. The massed forces (orchestra, brass band, real artillery, choir) on my favorite recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 overwhelm the Sennheisers a bit comparted to the KEFs. The KEF Space Ones were only $99, but had a list price of around $400, so I think these Sennheisers are wonderful at $150 including shipping. Other than sound leakage, there isn't a huge difference in the general sound between these open-back headphones and the closed KEFs. So far I like them very much! Trying Honey by Mariah Carey now for something totally different haha!

Last edited:

onslash

Do you have the Aeon open or closed? Have you tried the lcd2 classics?
i own the aeon flow open powering them using jds lab atom and dac magic plus , and i prefer it over lcd2c i auditioned with chord mojo. The audeze has quite better bass , aeon's bass isn't that low but punchy. However the aeon sounds more right , the lcd2c is a bit weird for me as it feels veiled but at the same time grainy and harsh

RiflemanFirst

I currently own the following headphones:
-Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT: Bluetooth comes in handy when on the go and/or not wanting to deal with cables. I wish they had just a bit more room in the ear pads/cups, but I find the sound signature to be fun and enjoyable.
-Sennheiser HD 598 SE: My first open back cans, bought them a couple years ago. Still enjoy and use them regularly, especially for gaming.
-Sennheiser HD 660 S: My go-to open-back cans. Super comfy and I love the sound signature.
-Fostex/Massdrop TH-X00 Ebony: These come out when I need serious bass. I plan to do a removable cable mod on these eventually, but currently have them decked out with a ZMF pilot pad and Dekoni sheepskin earpads.

I've also owned these headphones:
-Sennheiser HD 650: These were my go-to open backs until I got the HD 660 S. Very good headphones, but overall clarity and more forward nature of the HD 660 S ultimately won me over.
-Sennheiser HD 598 Cs: They were alright, but I returned them after trying/buying the open back HD 598 SE.
-Sennheiser HD 280 Pro: Had these for several years, they were my first full-size over ear headphones. While not bad, I sold them after moving primarily to open backs and found these were just collecting dust.

I'm sure you can all see my preference for Sennheisers by now. After getting the Fostex TH-X00, I've been more interested in other brands. That said, I'm happy with my current collection and find it hard to justify other headphone purchases, at least while taking classes full-time.

Hypnotoad

Audio Technica AD700, when I first got these I thought what have I bought, they are so big and bulky but on listening to them they do everything right, other headphones I've had sound bass heavy or colored after listening to these. With the AD700's you just listen to the music and for the price they were a bargain IMO.

Veri

Master Contributor
Audio Technica AD700, when I first got these I thought what have I bought, they are so big and bulky but on listening to them they do everything right, other headphones I've had sound bass heavy or colored after listening to these. With the AD700's you just listen to the music and for the price they were a bargain IMO.
My man!!! I bought a pair of used AD700 to re-experience these all over again :D

snowsurfer

My list is pretty shameful compared to you guys, but I'm working my way up! Too many hobbies, not enough dollars!

AKG 551 (which I though was the most awesome thing ever when I purchased them around their release).
AKG 451 - great folding closed set that is unfortunately close to permadeath.
Bose QC 20i - Terrible sound for the price but incredible noise cancelling. For the train, plane and office.

And that's it. I am now considering:

iBasso IT01s (probably my next purchase)
Sennheiser 650 (if they go down to around 300€ or below) or 5xx

One of the things I learned with a burnt 551 cable (back when I still used to smoke) is: never, ever buy headphones that do not have a detachable cable. Ever.

I expect those two to be my "endgame" for quite a while. Also, a Little Dot MK2 with some well reviewed matched tubes is arriving today, I really want to hear what it does to my 551s (which are nice but have a very harsh treble with some recordings).

Vatnos

Hifiman Edition X v2
Philips SHP9500
Status Audio CB-1

I’m in Durham, NC, USA. Great idea!

I'm in Chapel Hill. I also know a few other folks in the Triangle. We'll probably arrange a meetup at some point. Feel free to tag along!

Bald1

Sennheiser HD-600 (2015) w/ CustomCansUK low pF litz braided cable
Sennheiser HD-580/650 (1993/2019) w/ HD-600 grills, Brainwavz HM5 pads, HD-650 driver capsules, NewFantasia OFC cable
Philips SHP-9500 (2016) w/ 2mm felt mod, uGreen braided cable
Philips SHL-5500/28 (2011)
Koss ESP-6A (1973)

The top three are in active use on my computer headphone system with choice made depending on mood and music.
w2ek6Ye.jpg

The SHL-5500 is relegated to portable use only.
The vintage ESP-6A electrostatic is functional, extremely heavy, and rarely ever used.

Last edited:

LightninBoy

My #1 headphones are Skull Candy Grinds (wireless). Seriously. They perform flawlessly while listening to music, podcasts, youtube vids, etc while doing chores around the house. They clearly aren't super hi-fi - but everything sounds good through them and dialog is always crystal clear. They are also very comfortable and have just the right amount of isolation so I can still respond to my family if they want to talk to me.

When it comes to serious/focused music listening sessions - I've pretty much given up on headphones. I've not been wowed by anything. I bought some NAD HP50s which were fine. But I think they are just average on comfort. I could make them sound a lot better with EQ.

So my headphone credo from now on is to look for headphones with low distortion across the frequency band and excellent comfort. Then EQ/DSP to taste.

Jaimo

I thought I had too many pairs but you guys make me look good.

From best to less favoured

Hd6xx
DT 880
AKG K240 Sextett
Fostex T40RP
Koss KSC75
Monoprice (first gen, indestructible)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just got a pair of Hifiman HE4XX and absolutely love them. This is much more what I want out of a pair of headphones. These have actually earned a place alongside my speakers. I would like at least one more pair of headphones so I can have one for home and one for the office. I am struggling with whether I should go with the Sennheiser HD6XX and see what the hype is all about, or take another step up the planar magnetic ladder since I love the Hifimans so much.
Between the two, I prefer the HE400i.

Mimizone

I entered the game only recently and not planning on buying many many headphones pairs (hopefully ;) )

Bought off eBay about 2 years ago a perfect condition B&O H6 gen 2 (wired) that I use mostly as portable on iPhone + Oppo HA-2 SE. or at my desk at work. Sound is good. I like the seal and the confort. I rediscovered a lot of my music with them providing more clarity and precision than anything I had before. I like the very nice build, design and material typical of B&O.

Bought a few months ago a used Audeze LCD-XC to enter the bigger boy league without bothering too much my wife...
Love them. Upgraded to JDS labs atom and SMSL SU-8 v2 brainwashed by Amir’s measurements. Love them even more!

I am saving to get a Stax (if I can get over the cheap build...) and some nice IEM, and maybe an open back planar. Reading carefully the list here for inspiration.

Is there a web community for the Stax with DIY tutorials to change the pads and mod them to get the best of them?
Is there other electrostatic headphone brands?

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Simple list, from most preferred to least.

Sony MDR-1a Sub bass, need amp for best result, Eu model 48 Ohms
Cooler Master MH752 newest kid on the block to replace the extremely gamer focused Zeros, much better than expected. Works great as a desktop headphone as well.
Sony MDR-1000x, my traveling companion, ok sound and that ANC, bliss
Sennheiser G4me Zer0 first ed. (150 Ohms) with non-removable cable. Will never ever buy a headphone/set w/o a removable cable.

milus

Sennheiser HD-600 (2015) w/ CustomCansUK low pF litz braided cable
Sennheiser HD-580/650 (1993/2019) w/ HD-600 grills, Brainwavz HM5 pads, HD-650 driver capsules, NewFantasia OFC cable
Philips SHP-9500 (2016) w/ 2mm felt mod, uGreen braided cable
Philips SHL-5500/28 (2011)
Koss ESP-6A (1973)

The top three are in active use on my computer headphone system with choice made depending on mood and music.
w2ek6Ye.jpg

The SHL-5500 is relegated to portable use only.
The vintage ESP-6A electrostatic is functional, extremely heavy, and rarely ever used.

Hey @Bald1 What's that little transparent box sitting on top of your Topping? ;-)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Bought a pair of Goldring DR150 as a gift for myself for finishing my education as Electronics Technician in 2010.

Been using those for all of my headphone needs since.

Top Bottom