• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I ordered the Ollo S5X Saturday and DHL just informed me that they will be delivered tomorrow.

What are you looking for? You have pretty good setup there with two fun headphones and then the classic and a bit boring one. I have bought a lot of mid priced headphones in last couple of years and to be honest, most I have end up storing or giving away as they are just plain worse or not different enough than my main phones.

I think I could get by with only the LCD-X and HD600. The LCD-X for dedicated listening and HD600 for background stuff. As an occasional FPS gamer I think I have use for the 712 Pro or HD560S, not sure which one is better, but that about it.

Something to keep me interested in the hobby, something different, and something to justify the amount of amps and dacs I have all over the place.

bodhi

Forum Donor
It would be nice if you report back your impressions of S5X
Ah, but of course. The part of about Ollo was left in the message by mistake, but I guess it almost fit the context. :)

bodhi

Forum Donor
It would be nice if you report back your impressions of S5X

After a short listening I can say that these are technically very capable headphones. The sound is very neutral, it feels to me very alike the Genelec 8350s I have as desktop speakers. The soundstage is narrow, sound is very in your face. There is bass, even slam but the lowest frequencies aren't there like with the LCD-X or even Sundara (both EQ'd). All in all the presentation feels very professional, there is no extra spice or glitter. I'm sure many would say these are too boring headphones. Like the headphones would think that "this it what's in the signal, I have no opinion myself, I don't care at all what you think" :).

From my test songs I was most impressed with Celine Dion's "The Power of Love" where the high notes can really get piercing with some phones. With these you could really experience the powerful voice but it stayed just withing the limits that it didn't start to bother me.

With some songs I felt like there was too much detail, like the breathing of the vocalist was too clear. Bird on a Wire sounded a bit too claustrophobic for my tastes. Gotta Love If You Want it would have needed the lowest notes, it's too raw and in your face.

Comfort wise they are perfect. I have a big head and I have them almost with the widest setting and they fit like a glove. No pressure anywhere, ears fit inside cups and the seal is great. This I hear is user dependent, big eared boys would probably have problems.

Build quality is very sturdy but these are not luxury headphones, more like a robust tool. LCD-X would be a good comparison. Not bad to look at but if you check things up closely you see that they lack the final polish. I don't need that myself and well, these are mid-priced phones after all.

All in all I'm pretty sure these end up as the second daily driver with LCD-X. A small miracle, I was kind of ready to admit that maybe I'm done with mid-priced headphones and they have nothing interesting to offer.

Last edited:
OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It will be interesting to see actual objective review of these things including impressions from a real critical listener.
If my review is not objective enough and I am not considered a real critical listener (I know I am not) here are some youtube reviews ... if you have 1.5 hours to kill.

Last edited:

Mulder

Forum Donor
If my review is not objective enough and I am not considered a real critical listener (I know I am not) here are some youtube reviews ... if you have 1.5 hours to kill.
It makes me wonder: what separates a truly critical listener from other kinds of listeners? When is one a real critical listener and when does one cease to be so?

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Good question...

The ASR answer to that would probably be: Those that have passed the highest level of the Harman training course.

I have not done so and therefor might not be considered critical enough or I did not find enough 'flaws' to be found critical enough.
I'm sure many would say these are too boring headphones
This is something I could agree with but the same can be said about the HD600.
The reason some may (but I don't) find it boring is lack of Harman type bass and no splashy treble.
The soundstage is narrow,
Yes, slightly better than HD6** series though. The driver is only angled 5.7 degrees.

sound is very in your face.
Yep I agree and think it should be for a monitor. Nearfield monitors (when used nearfied, as on a desk) are also very 'in your face' and as bodhi mentioned:
The sound is very neutral, it feels to me very alike the Genelec 8350
These Genelecs are 45Hz -3dB, the S5X (with good seal) are 15Hz -3dB though.
This becomes evident when playing music with subbass which remains very clean even at loud levels, only some Audeze orthos might be 'cleaner' at irresponsible levels.
Bass response is very good on the S5X which is evident on my (amateur) measurements and the lack of coloration there (no dip around 100Hz).
It could also be that the lack of distortion in the bass can show not so well recorded bass issues (at high levels).

There is bass, even slam but the lowest frequencies aren't there like with the LCD-X or even Sundara (both EQ'd).
The thing is.... the S5X does all this (for me) without any EQ in the bass.
Harman fans might prefer 1 or 2 dB more subbass and a bit less 150Hz presence.

Slam... a difficult thing. This is around the 100Hz band and too much of it or too wide bandwidth this becomes 'muddy'.
With speakers at higher SPL the tactile feel adds 'slam' and headphones do not have this tactile feel but needs to get it from slight midbass boost and high SPL.
The 'problem' here is that the elevated treble (about 4dB acc to me and my 'crude, flawed and incorrect' non industry standard measurements) makes you want to turn down the volume at high levels just missing out on the tactile feel.

Bodhi (looks like he does not consider himself nor me critical enough ?) also picked up on this.
With some songs I felt like there was too much detail, like the breathing of the vocalist was too clear
And this is quite true and might not even be picked out by a less critical listener. Certainly when he/she is used to say MDR7506, Beyer or AT or AKG studio headphones that have a sharp treble peak. This headphone has somewhat elevated treble but not 'peaky'.
For studio work this is an advantage as one can easily pick up on 'faults' but for hifi enjoyment it is a bit too much at higher (active) listening levels with some popular recordings.
Those listening to well recorded or classical will not mind that little emphasis at all (it bothered me so fixed it).
Also when listening at lower levels and with 'Harman type' EQ that small emphasis is welcome for most recordings.
I probably am a bit too critical when it comes to treble peaks. They are all too common in headphones but not 'seen' with industry standard fixtures.

I agree with bodhi that this is a good 'mid tier priced' headphone that has sound quality punching above what can be found in this and even higher price ranges.
Is this the perfect headphone ? No of course not. Too much clamping force, not the spatial feel from some other headphones, not as 'audiophile' qualities as some more expensive headphones.
But... those needing to use headphones to mix on or evaluate a mix or those that like the sound of nearfield monitors as they are (so no room curves applied) will find this a valuable tool that can simply be plugged in any device with a 3.5/6.3 TRS socket and does a great job without worrying about output power and output resistance.

For hifi enjoyment this is more than sufficient to my (not critical enough ?) ears.
Will it replace my (EQ'ed) HD800 ? No... (spatial qualities+ comfort) but should I not have any EQ available I would use this over say a HD650/HD600 or many studio headphones and even the Sundara.

I think bodhi is selling himself (and by extension me) short by wanting 'more critical' ears on it to verify if he perceived the headphone correctly and needs more 'industry standard' measurements on it with specific targets.
Those that know how recordings and live music (properly or not PA'ed) sounds like will very likely like this headphone as is, when they do not mind a high clamping force, which is quite common in studio gear.

This is and remains a studio tool that (IMO) is also very suited for (critical or not) music enjoyment.

Last edited:

OnLyTNT

Superlux HD668B, my beat up headphones, actually it stood pretty well. Changed the cable and the pads, with EQ I am pretty happy with it.
Sennheiser HD280 Pro, This was a quick purchase, when Superlux was sitting aside to be revamped, I like it very much.
Hifiman HE400SE, I bought these recently out of curiosity and for a different taste.

And I'm done with headphones for a long time :).

bodhi

Forum Donor
Good question...

The ASR answer to that would probably be: Those that have passed the highest level of the Harman training course.

I have not done so and therefor might not be considered critical enough or I did not find enough 'flaws' to be found critical enough.

I have a simpler explanation to you. I read your review while I was going pondering on the previous model and going through a lot of reviews while enjoying good beverages, further decreasing my attention span. Just before I put the 4X to my shopping cart (the only one that was available at my local distributor of choice) I discovered that there was a newer model released, available through the manufacturer's website. I though I struck gold and be a early adopter by getting this new thing and didn't notice that the model as well had actually been available for a while and had been reviewed by many, including you. :)

So, there was no hidden jab to you in the comment which I actually removed to not give that impression. Where my own critical listening/reviewing is lacking is not being able to pinpoint where the problem is: I usually hear quickly if the tonality is generally good and notice if something is overdone but there are many times where I feel something is off but cannot decide why that is. I also wasn't able to ace the Harman training course getting stuck at about level 8. :)

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So, there was no hidden jab to you in the comment which I actually removed to not give that impression.

Don't worry. I did not take it this way.
I think you are selling yourself (listening fu) short given your description of the S5X.

Where my own critical listening/reviewing is lacking is not being able to pinpoint where the problem is

Just thought I'd elaborate about the why of your findings.

Last edited:

bkdc

Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD6xx
Focal Elegia - I want at least one closed back phone to block ambient noise
Hifiman Edition XS (on the way)
Bose QuietComfort 45 (for travel)

7Hz Timeless - i don’t care what the naysayers say. They sound awesome. I love the planar sound.

Will probably go for a Focal Elex when I see a good deal pop up.

My #1 criterion for headphones is detail retrieval. Subjective listening pleasure and comfort over my noggin and ears are my others. I don’t get too bent up about curves.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 57921

Grado Hemp, RS2e, RS1e, and GS300e (all with Shipibo gimbals/rodblocks/headbands). My favorite right now are the Hemps with the Shipibo pads.

They each sound different to me, placebo or no; but I enjoy how they sound nonetheless. And yes, aesthetic considerations play a part in my choice of audio equipment.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Grado Hemp, RS2e, RS1e, and GS300e (all with Shipibo gimbals/rodblocks/headbands). My favorite right now are the Hemps with the Shipibo pads.
Try the new drivers.

Grado 3000x
Grado 60x
Grado Hemp
Sennheiser 6xx
Meze Drop Classic
Koss portables
TruthEar Zero

Reactions: sea

bodhi

Forum Donor
Just got Moondrop Arias to replace both of my wireless IEMs (WF-1000XM4 and Momentum True Wireless 3) that started failing at the same time. The sound quality is clearly better with the Aria but still nothing to write home about compared to the on-ears I have. I now ordered a pair of Moondrop Katos, I hope they are good enough for travel purposes.

Reactions: sea

sea

hd6xx, dan clark aeon flow closed (the original!), 10+ year old AT m50 which has gone through about 4 replacement earpads and 2 headbands.
the original m50s has gone through so much abuse i am honestly amazed, and although i do not use these anymore, I can recommend it solely out of durability alone.
saving up for a stealth >:) if anyone can convince me otherwise, please save me the cash

bodhi

Forum Donor
I have bitten the bullet today and ordered the OLLO S5X.
I have continued to like it so much I got ROOMs Audio stand for it, honor so far reserved only for LCD-X.

Teeter

My AKG240's, made in Austria, are about 8+ years and light weight, music to my ears, and ear cushioning is out of this world.

I have added dt1990 to my collection okay. I don't want the sundaras. If i do not like the 1990 i will send it back and get the Ierm7.

Last edited:
Top Bottom