• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

xavx

Kept as in still own but not sold (yet) ?
kept as in stored but not used ?
kept as in 'collection that is hard to part with' ?
kept as in used most often ?

Used most often: HD800 (with non Harman EQ), DT1350 (portable duty with EQ) and recently for closed usage (max a few hours) modified Creative Aurvana Live! 2.
Used now and then depending on mood and need:, modified/filtered DT770, filtered DT1990, modified S4X Reference 1.1, filtered HD560S
Kept (hard to part with): HD650, HD58X (modified, filtered), HD681 (modified, filtered), Edition XX, Audeze Sine (modified, filtered), HE35X(modified, filtered), old DT990(600) and a few prototype headphones.
Have not sold (yet)

Why ? Because I either like the sound + comfort or they have some kind of 'sentimental value' to me or have not put them up for sale (yet)
Appreciate your complete response. I meant "kept" like used most often, just to have some ideas of what potential HP to try.

phrwn

Replaced my "this is it I'm done now" E-MU Teaks with the Focal Elex. Nothing wrong with the Teaks apart from a comfort incompatibility with my stupid new glasses. And to resolve my tedious anxiety of whether my onboard audio is getting the best out of whatever I'm listening to I've got an E30II/L30II stack coming.
Update after testing the Topping stack for a few days: it's fine, but functionally indistinguishable from my onboard audio. So, off to eBay with the stack and the Teaks and I'm back to being 'done'. :facepalm:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Update after testing the Topping stack for a few days: it's fine, but functionally indistinguishable from my onboard audio. So, off to eBay with the stack and the Teaks and I'm back to being 'done'. :facepalm:
My motherboard audio from a motherboard bought in 2016 is terrible, I only tried it once, it was muddy as hell......tried it years & years ago before I even found ASR and immediately used a USB sound card since then. It's quite likely that motherboard audio has gotten better through the years, but I've not been following those trends.

phrwn

My motherboard audio from a motherboard bought in 2016 is terrible, I only tried it once, it was muddy as hell......tried it years & years ago before I even found ASR and immediately used a USB sound card since then. It's quite likely that motherboard audio has gotten better through the years, but I've not been following those trends.
I could definitely tell the difference between an Element II and my previous laptop audio. The new desktop machine I'm using with a Realtek ALC4080 and dedicated headphone amplifier is, as I said, indistinguishable from the Topping stack and the Element, to me at least.

I listen to the Elex's (80 ohms, 104 dB SPL / 1 mW at 1 kHz) at around 20/100 system volume, so plenty of headroom.

kbhdog

Just curious ...
What headphone(s) do you currently own ?
Which one(s) is(are) used the most, or is your favorite ?
HiFiman HE560 v4
Sennheiser HD58x
gonna get Shure srh840A soon.
(IFI Zen DAC + Zen CAN with battery power)

usually HD58X but for some more sugar in my ear or classic music -> HE560

SlothRock

Hifiman Susvara
ZMF Verite Closed
Sennheiser 660S

Down to these guys. Susvara is on my head for 99% of music listening at this point, Sennheiser 660s is mostly used as a great gaming headset and the VC is for when I can't be as loud :). I love the VC's but I am getting much more into having a more neutral sounding headphone so I will likely replace them with either the upcoming Atrium Closed or Caldera Closed. I know they aren't fully neutral but "ZMF Neutral" which is very pleasing to the ear

Tobylataupe

Hello,

I'd like to ask you some references for wireless earphones. The important points would be :
- Resistance (made to travel and use mostly outside, also during sport like basketball if its possible)
- Pretty good battery
- I am mostly listening to industrial techno and rock music (I don't know if it can be useful to know that)
- The price would be perfect around 50-100 euros

For now and what i've read yet on this thread, I found the Galaxy Bud+. I found a version for 35 euros.
The problem is that its a Hong Kong version, so it means the application won't be available on my smartphone, so I won't be able to configure it.
Do you think that's still a good deal ?

Thanks for your time, I wish you a good day !

Toby

Last edited:

Hamrin

Too many...

For shi**y recordings/productions

Philips SHP2700
HD599

Closed for anything else

Denon D7200
Denon D9200
Sony Z1R

Open for anything else

HE560 v2
LCD-X

anderl1962

Hello together,
my old but good one:
AKG-K490NC

just bought ad on the way to me:
Austrian Audio HI-X65

Greetings
Andy

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I bought a new pair of JBL's. These are wired in-ear but the shape I can use. Sadly, for me, the most popular model of in-ear inserts:
1668951350186.png

don't fit me and I can't use them. The JBL's luckily still makes the shape for the rest of us:
1668951225523.png

This is the Tune 205 model. I'm really happy with them and could recommend them without thinking twice. I payed something like 15$ / 13€ and haven't heard anything sounding noticeably better for this money. It's just my subjective recomm, but none the less.

I really needed the wired model, but wireless are available. The shape fits me perfectly and there's ample bass which I don't find exaggerated.

Sufice to say, when I use these up, as I surely will, I'd gladly buy another pair of the same model.

taisho

Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD 660s
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm

The Beyers were my first headphones. Now they sit in my drawer as an emergency. 660s win in every aspect apart from noise isolation. Surprisingly even the bass experience is better, mostly because it can be felt outside your ears. The vocals are exceptionally natural and clear. I can now catch many more words from songs. Also, Youtube videos with strong accents/muttering are easier to follow, so these are great all-rounders.

Adaboy4z

Just expanded my collection (HE400se) to three with the addition of HD6XX and Monoprice 116150. Monoprice are bass heavy perfect for Deep House.

D

Deleted member 21726

Grado Hemp
Apple AirPods Pro 2

No need for others, Hemp is the best headphone i have owned.

georgitt

KRK 8400 (11+ years and still going:))
Grado SR80x

I'm happy with both. The KRK is probably one of my best purchases ever.

I have the Focal Clear MG's and Beyerdynamic 1990's. I got the 1990's first. I was very happy with them but I was curious about the Focal's. They have a meatier sound while the 1990's are more spatial and airier top end.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
recently added this:
srh940-modif.jpg

D

Deleted member 35357

Just an hour ago I received my new DT 900 PRO X.
Testing them out how they sound. Clearly different sound than my precious headphones that are falling apart. But can't really say I was impressed yet.
Not the detail and clarity I was after, seems kinda muffled to what I wanted and was looking for.

The Marshall Mid aren't anything spectacular and didn't like them overall but they did the work as passover ones as you find something else. Bad part was they fell apart before I could decide on what kind I was searching for. Didn't last as near as long as I was expecting.

So got the DT 900 PRO X as a quick buy as I saw it around. The initial review impressions seems to indicate they shouldn't be bad but can't say I was impressed. neutral? If you have a cloth in your mouth?
Had to crank volume more than I thought I had to do for vocals to be even listenable. Even then the detail isn't there.
The Marshall almost sound better, even them I was really disappointed about overall.

I recall having a Plantronics open-ear set in my youth I used until the cords snapped off a couple times. Not tested anything close to their character since.

Will take my time with these as I need a pair to use daily after all but was expecting something more.

I use a EX5 to power them with.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I own several headphones, my current use is primarily the old First Gen AKG 550, which isn’t reviewed here at ASR. I see some akg’s get good reviews, more do not.

Couple of questions maybe someone here could answer…

I can find many ‘550 online reviews, only a few with measurement data. I do see data from “inner fidelity” … is this meaningful test data?

I have trouble relating such data to judging “how good are these” vs current respected offerings.

I like these headphones because they are wearable for long periods. The cord is too long. Replacement pads don’t fit tightly enough. They have survived 6+ years with two cats, so that is good.

1670075629556.jpeg
1670075629556.jpeg

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I own:

- Beyerdynamic T5P
- Dan Clark Audio Stealth
- Noble Audio Khan IEM's
- Etymotic ER4P IEM's
- Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi 10 Pro (TF10P) IEM's

My previous headphone amp was a Meyer Audio Corda, currently running RME ADI-2 FS and Violectric DHA V226 depending on preference. The Violectric is able to drive the inefficient DCA Stealths to a louder volume than the RME.

Top Bottom